Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm a Muslim and I want to visit America

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've heard all of these stories about Muslims being rejected from their flight to America.

I'm a Muslim and have a Muslim name. I'm planning to go in December just for a week to meet my friend, however after hearing all of these stories I'm scared my chances are slim.

what are my chances of being rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They can't legally not let you on a flight because you're Muslim.
    Hopefully that'll remain the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathMoFarah)
    They can't legally not let you on a flight because you're Muslim.
    Hopefully that'll remain the case.
    Actually they can refuse you for any reason they want. And they don't have to tell you why. Maybe your name is similar to someone on a no-fly list, or maybe they just don't like the color of your shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Actually they can refuse you for any reason they want. And they don't have to tell you why. Maybe your name is similar to someone on a no-fly list, or maybe they just don't like the color of your shoes.
    Plenty of people have been refused entry to this country the UK for what seems like ridiculous reasons despite what people say that we let anyone in. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Trump will be president in December - so there's a good chance you won't be let in.

ReputationRep:
    just shave your beard and monobrow if you have it, and you won't be stopped.

Note: this post is not a reference about terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    Why do Americans move everywhere but where other Muslims live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herro)
    Why do Americans move everywhere but where other Muslims live?
    Thanks for answering my question. That was so helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by unaManzana)
    I've heard all of these stories about Muslims being rejected from their flight to America.

I'm a Muslim and have a Muslim name. I'm planning to go in December just for a week to meet my friend, however after hearing all of these stories I'm scared my chances are slim.

what are my chances of being rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can apply in advance. Presumably you havent visited any dodgy websites and no criminal record?

ReputationRep:
    if you don't do anything shifty they have no reason to reject you

i suggest:

wear westernised clothes
    don't carry a rucksack
    don't give anyone evils
    and avoid talking about bombs, ISIS, 9/11 etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You can apply in advance. Presumably you havent visited any dodgy websites and no criminal record?
    Even if he gets approved by ESTA, that's no guarantee that he will get past border control or even be allowed to board a plane in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, since when were Muslim people not "allowed" to visit America? (Sorry, I don't know how to word it better and it's 04:22) lol.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine to travel but expect to be pulled aside before boarding and all your items gone through and extra security checks on you.

Also don't be surprised that once you land if they send you to be interviewed and take loads of information from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    You should be fine to travel but expect to be pulled aside before boarding and all your items gone through and extra security checks on you.

Also don't be surprised that once you land if they send you to be interviewed and take loads of information from you.
    I wouldn't mind that at all, this trip is just very important to me

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind that at all, this trip is just very important to me
    Well it's pretty insulting since they pretend that "its random" when you know you are unfairly being singled out (basically racial profiling).

I went with 3 friends and being the only muslim, I was the only one interviewed even though I was doing exactly the same trip as the other two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Well it's pretty insulting since they pretend that "its random" when you know you are unfairly being singled out (basically racial profiling).

I went with 3 friends and being the only muslim, I was the only one interviewed even though I was doing exactly the same trip as the other two.
    how long did it take?

ReputationRep:
    how long did it take?
    The interview bit probably delayed me 30-40 mins as you have to wait your turn.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.