The Student Room Group

Wedding Etiquette

Ok this little conversation arose between the members of my family some days ago. In the next few months I have three weddings to go to. Of course, the next step is finding the correct outfit.

My sister and I both vioced our desire for one more little black dress each which we stumbled along in our travels.

My mother then said that we werent supposed to wear black, and we asked why not. My mum didnt exactly know.

So here are my questions to you, Does anyone know why you cant wear black? Or is it an outdated tradition. Also ive seen many weddigs latley which people have been wearing black, including bridesmaids. Do you think we should be able to wear black?

It doesnt matter if we dont, the only problem is its hard to find a decent dress in a different colour this time of year, but we will continue to search.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I guess people tend not to wear black if weddings are in the summer, because it's not a very summery colour. Maybe people associate it more with funerals too. I'm not sure, there's no reason why you can't wear black if that's what you want to wear, just don't wear white, the bride wouldn't be happy :biggrin:
Reply 2
becoz people wear black and funerals??
Reply 3
I had thought of the funeral connection.

I always say now, that if I ever get married, I will let people wear black to the wedding.
Reply 4
Everdawn
Ok this little conversation arose between the members of my family some days ago. In the next few months I have three weddings to go to. Of course, the next step is finding the correct outfit.

My sister and I both vioced our desire for one more little black dress each which we stumbled along in our travels.

My mother then said that we werent supposed to wear black, and we asked why not. My mum didnt exactly know.

So here are my questions to you, Does anyone know why you cant wear black? Or is it an outdated tradition. Also ive seen many weddigs latley which people have been wearing black, including bridesmaids. Do you think we should be able to wear black?

It doesnt matter if we dont, the only problem is its hard to find a decent dress in a different colour this time of year, but we will continue to search.

As far as I am aware the only remaining no-no's for women involve co-ordinating your outfit around the bride and bridesmaid(s) colours. Since it is black that you would like to wear, there is almost no chance of clashing with thier colours so I would think it would be fine. I've been to weddings where ladies have worn black and they didnt offend anyone or look out of place at all. Providing that it doesnt look like a funeral dress or something that your REALLY should not wear in the presence of god (i.e. tarty etc..) then there is nothing more understated and complimentary that a black number. :smile:
Reply 5
Leekey
As far as I am aware the only remaining no-no's for women involve co-ordinating your outfit around the bride and bridesmaid(s) colours. Since it is black that you would like to wear, there is almost no chance of clashing with thier colours so I would think it would be fine. I've been to weddings where ladies have worn black and they didnt offend anyone or look out of place at all. Providing that it doesnt look like a funeral dress or something that your REALLY should not wear in the presence of god (i.e. tarty etc..) then there is nothing more understated and complimentary that a black number. :smile:

my point exactly! Perhaps ill present this arguement to my mother tomorrow morning!
Reply 6
i think it also depends on the blackness, i think if its quite stylish then its alright..

but bridesmaid shouldnt really wear black becoz they wear same things and it would really look like a funeral..
Reply 7
Swim By
i think it also depends on the blackness, i think if its quite stylish then its alright..

but bridesmaid shouldnt really wear black becoz they wear same things and it would really look like a funeral..

Youd be surprised! I was very impressed with the wedding in Spiderman2 the bridesmaids wore black... it was the best part of the movie. :tongue:
Reply 8
Everdawn
Youd be surprised! I was very impressed with the wedding in Spiderman2 the bridesmaids wore black... it was the best part of the movie. :tongue:

ahhh... *must see spiderman 2* hehe have you got a picture of it? :tongue:

well i aint been to many weddings but, the bridemaids tend to wear pink. so long as you dont "out-do" the bride then its ok :wink:
Reply 9
piginapoke
I was wearing a black silk suit for my wedding, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that.

On women I'd think an entire black ensemble would like a bit funeral-ish at a wedding, but not just a black dress, with say another colour hat.

Ha!

I didnt even think of a hat!

BTW- Welcome back!
Reply 10
I've got to go to a wedding in September and my mum won't even consider letting me near something black. I've got a brilliant black dress as it is, and there are a lot more in the shops but it's just not allowed according to her.
But I know what you mean about not being able to find anything else. Last winter it was all black dresses in the shops.
I'm sure with your great fashion sense you'll be able to find something a bit brighter :smile:
Reply 11
Swim By
ahhh... *must see spiderman 2* hehe have you got a picture of it? :tongue:

well i aint been to many weddings but, the bridemaids tend to wear pink. so long as you dont "out-do" the bride then its ok :wink:

No I dont have a picture of it sadly!

I have to be careful about out-doing, I think I was boarderline at my aunt's wedding, I wore lilac satin suit (dress and jacket) by Living Doll, It was very savvy, but I made myself out of site just incase!
Reply 12
Supposedly the dress I've got for the wedding I'm going to is too dressy :frown: But it's soooo perfect!
I think I'm starting to talk my mum round "Well....if you get a jacket to wear with it....." :biggrin:
Reply 13
Acaila
I've got to go to a wedding in September and my mum won't even consider letting me near something black. I've got a brilliant black dress as it is, and there are a lot more in the shops but it's just not allowed according to her.
But I know what you mean about not being able to find anything else. Last winter it was all black dresses in the shops.
I'm sure with your great fashion sense you'll be able to find something a bit brighter :smile:

I know! It means ill have to hit the shopping trail again... ah well. I think if I cant wear black ill try an apricot-pink, becuase now that Piggy mentioned the hat thing, there is a hairpiece which I saw at Valley Girl... oh the possibilities! :biggrin:
Reply 14
And hitting the shopping trail again is a bad thing? :wink:
I'm actually quite miffed that if I wear this dress I've got things that will perfectly match for all my accessories (maybe need a new pair of shoes, but that's probably optional)
Reply 15
Acaila
And hitting the shopping trail again is a bad thing? :wink:
I'm actually quite miffed that if I wear this dress I've got things that will perfectly match for all my accessories (maybe need a new pair of shoes, but that's probably optional)

For me? Yes, becuase I tend to overspend, plus Ive got very little time on my hands, the only time I have is late at night, and of course all the shops are shut!

What colour are you wearing to this wedding?
Reply 16
I'll show you :wink:
It's got a nice neckline but very very tiny straps.
It actually looks quite flattering on me which is the main thing I guess :biggrin:
Reply 17
Is it a mid-length? Looks good.
Reply 18
Full-length. My mum says I shoudn't wear full length to a wedding but I always prefer to wear long dresses :rolleyes: I hate my legs and it covers them up :biggrin:
Reply 19
we shall continue this talk again, but now I have writing I must attend to!
-Goodevening. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending