Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Why do humans have this false belief that they are more moral than animals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In what way are humans more moral than animals? Humans destroy their own species and torture many other species each and every single day (cough factory farms, cough fur trade cough). Yet they have this false believe that animals are the wild beast and humans are the perfect angels. For example I have seen child molesters referred to as pigs but when has a pig ever molested a child? Why don't people just call child molesters human because that is what they are. ' YOU DID SOMETHING BAD THEREFORE I AM GOING TO REFER TO YOU AS AN ANIMAL BECAUSE ONLY ANIMALS CAN DO SOMETHING BAD. WE HUMANS ARE PERFECT I TELL YOU- COMPLETE AND UTTER PERFECT.'

Humans think they're special because many (not even all of them) can look after their own species to an extent. However, every single species tries to look after their own- humans are nothing special when it comes to that.

Anyone with half a brain can see humans are just wild animals that have managed to dominate the earth. And just because you try to look after your own species that doesn't make humans unique as every species in the wild looks after their own.

Just another thing that people are brainwashed about in this pathetic world.

ReputationRep:
    I read something about Seals raping penguins.

Animals can be bad, or they can be good. Same with humans.

ReputationRep:
    Cats have better morals than us tho

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I completely see where you are coming from and think you have a point, I think it's more because humans are considered to have the higher cognitive processing that enables us to make moral decisions.

We are capable of understanding morality, whereas animals are not. And in a way that is why animals are more innocent than us.

When people cause harm such as with sex offending, they are actively going against their moral reasoning, they know they are causing harm but they do it anyway.
    Whereas when animals cause harm, they aren't going against moral reasoning because it's not believed that they have that capacity in the first place.

So how can they be "bad" if they don't understand right and wrong in the sense that humans do. They may understand that "wrong" behaviour leads to adverse consequences, but that's not the same as understanding the morality of the decision.

I completely agree that when child molesters are likened to pigs, that it is a sheer insult to pigs.

ReputationRep:
    Because in order to even have morals you need to be able to understand what they are, animals do not have the cognitive function to even understand morals.

So by that logic we have more morals than animals.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    ... D:

ReputationRep:
    Animals do not have morals. we do. we have more morals
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boltsy)
    For example I have seen child molesters referred to as pigs but when has a pig ever molested a child?.
    You should ask this question to David Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are self-aware and much more altruistic than most animals. Animals have no sense of morality and abide by the rules of nature. In the wild, their lives are solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short. Our standards of morality mean that people live longer and have happier lives.

You might argue that morality is merely an invention by man, but I don't believe that the state of nature is a better standard of morality just because it is the base version.

Also you're wrong in suggesting that we view humans as infallible creatures who can do no harm.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    ... D:
    gottdammed prsom :I

(Original post by UWS)
    You should ask this question to David Cameron.
    Or better yet - Blair
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    this really gets my goat

ReputationRep:
    I read something about Seals raping penguins. *.
    say it ain't so :cry:

ReputationRep:

Animals can be bad, or they can be good. Same with humans.

Not really.

Most animals do not have the level of intelligence required to make the decision to be good or bad. They simply do what is in their nature.

Humans are intelligent enough to go beyond biological programming and make this decision.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    this really gets my goat
    Le pauvre goat
    #SaveTheGoat
    #VotesForGoats
    #GoatsInBoats 13 1 20 8 42 :rofl:

Is that guy your goat? :confused: :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Not really.

Most animals do not have the level of intelligence required to make the decision to be good or bad. They simply do what is in their nature.

Humans are intelligent enough to go beyond biologically programming and make this decision.
    Nothing left for me to say lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Le pauvre goat
    #SaveTheGoat
    #VotesForGoats

Is that guy your goat? :confused: :erm:
    he is more aquatic ? *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Nothing left for me to say lol

:five:

ReputationRep:
    Humans have higher intelligence than animals.And that works both ways.If we want to be good then we can do really great things.However if we give in to our meaner side then our higher intelligence allows us to think of exceptionally cruel tortures to visit upon other beings.Because we can plan ahead,we know what will hurt most and where it will hurt most.Animals dont plan ahead like we do.I think humans can be both the best creatures in the world and the worst creatures in the world at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Le pauvre goat
    #SaveTheGoat
    #VotesForGoats

r u startin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    :five:
    Bergson tho....

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.