The Student Room Group

Which British universities have the most Irish students?

I'm Northern Irish but i don't want to stay at queen's or jordanstown for uni, so I'm looking at scottish and english unis because I'd like to experience something different. At the same time tho, I think I'd feel a bit less homesick at a uni with a big irish community like liverpool or glasgow. So I was wondering which unis have reasonably sized irish (especially northern irish) populations. Is there any newspaper with a table of where NI students go to unis or something? Atm I'm intrrested in edinburgh, glasgow, exeter, newcastle, manchester, bristol, leeds, or anywhere else you can think of with a good social scene and good academic rep, and i'd like to study psychology. Cheers!
Original post by se4m
I'm Northern Irish but i don't want to stay at queen's or jordanstown for uni, so I'm looking at scottish and english unis because I'd like to experience something different. At the same time tho, I think I'd feel a bit less homesick at a uni with a big irish community like liverpool or glasgow. So I was wondering which unis have reasonably sized irish (especially northern irish) populations. Is there any newspaper with a table of where NI students go to unis or something? Atm I'm intrrested in edinburgh, glasgow, exeter, newcastle, manchester, bristol, leeds, or anywhere else you can think of with a good social scene and good academic rep, and i'd like to study psychology. Cheers!

This is really ugly I'm afraid but https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/hep_level_report_2015-dr4_004_01.pdf lists how many accepted applicants (ie how many students did UCAS expect a university to be taking in the Autumn) from each UK country went to each university for the last decade or so.

Basically you're right that Scottish universities have the largest intakes, then Liverpool. Northumbria, Newcastle, Manchester and Man Met and UCLan all have over 100 NI students starting each year too.
Reply 2
Thanks, this was exactly the sort of the I was looking for!

Quick Reply

Latest