BSc Real Estate Entry 2017

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Now that the Open Days have finished, I thought I'd start a new thread for those applying for the BSc Real Estate programme area for Sept 2017 entry. I am happy to respond to questions or advise on issues over the next 9 months as people complete their UCAS forms, receive offers, attend Visit Days (in Feb and March) and wait nervously for their exam results in August. At this stage, I wish everyone the very best of luck and encourage you all to work as hard as possible to get the best grades you can!

Joe Doak,
    REP UG Admissions Tutor,
    Henley Business School,
    University of Reading

ReputationRep:
    Here's some photos from our October Open Days. We enjoyed them: 'hope you did too!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banana222)
    i have a few questions as I have applied for this course and I'm yet to hear back from Reading. How does it compare to that of Planning and real estate in Manchester and UCL as I would like to know which on of the three to hopefully firm? how long does it normally take to be offered a place for this course? does Reading send acknowledgment emails as i have not received one yet although i applied more than a week ago?
    Hi,

Our central admissions team usually acknowledge applications quickly and then make offers ASAP (within a week or so, depending on information provided). I've looked at the applications submitted for our 3+1 real estate and planning programme and the first 7 apps are currenty being considered. We received the first of those on 14th Oct, so it's still early days!

With regard to your decision on firming the offers, that really comes down to your preference! I hope that you have researched each of those courses/Uni's and attended the Open days. We are very confident about our planning offer at Reading and the quality of the student experience. However, offer holders have to 'look into their souls' and make their own decision. Best of luck in that.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    For a long time I've wanted to do property development (in particulalr, regeneration) and after recently leaving a course at another uni for various reasons (partly due to not doing something I enjoyed) I want to make sure I make the right decison this time. I've been looking at various courses and uni's but finding it hard to work out which is the right one forn what I want to end up doing. From your experience do people doing the Real Estate degree end up in careers which entail property development? I also wondered how valuable the RICS accreditation was in respect to career prospects and is it useful to have in regard to a career in property development?

ReputationRep:
    Harry,

Yes, property development is a 'natural' pathway for our real estate graduates. To some extent, development is a cross-over between real estate and planning. At Reading we provide for that cross-over with our 3+1 UG programme in Real Estate (x3 yrs) with MSc/Dip in Urban Planning & Development (x1 yr). This is dual qualified (RICS and RTPI) and many of our graduates from that course go to work for development companies (commercial and residential). Employers (across private and public sectors, including those working in regeneration) see the dual qualification as a real bonus. Other universities (e.g. Manchester and UCL) do similar combinations....but Reading was the first!

Joe (Doak)
    Associate Professor of Urban Planning & Development
    University of Reading

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.