The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamestaneh
It's not that I refuse to condemn it, rather I can't condemn it based on emotions because I haven't read much into works of Ibn Taymiyyah, the fiqh of how a state deals with perceived deviance, or what takes one out of the fold of Islam (beyond some basic principles related to Kufr and Shirk), so I can only speculate as to the application of the fatwa. If you want me to condemn it based on emotions because it has very serious applications without me having knowledge, then one might as well condemn ayaat of the Quran related to war out of ignorance and emotions too since that is the approach you appear to be encouraging.

It should be condemned for moral reasons, with no hesitation at all.

It is a great worry that we appear to have people who are so out of step with society generally that they cannot instantly condemn such things as immoral because they believe the fatwa could have grounds for being valid based on mediaeval superstitions.

Let's be clear, the threat of, or an injunction to, punish anyone, for holding any belief, by anyone, for any reason is both immoral and illegal, and completely unacceptable. Why can't you agree?
Original post by Good bloke
It should be condemned for moral reasons, with no hesitation at all.

It is a great worry that we appear to have people who are so out of step with society generally that they cannot instantly condemn such things as immoral because they believe the fatwa could have grounds for being valid based on mediaeval superstitions.

Let's be clear, the threat of, or an injunction to, punish anyone, for holding any belief, by anyone, for any reason is both immoral and illegal, and completely unacceptable. Why can't you agree?

As you know already, my purpose is not to care so much what you think. My purpose is to live by Islam and see the world through Islamic lenses, even if you disagree.
As you know already, my purpose is not to care so much what you think. My purpose is to live by Islam and see the world through Islamic lenses, even if you disagree.

Let's assume that a fatwa is issued with which you agree, that calls for someone near you to be punished by true Moslems. Would you carry out such a fatwa for the imam making it? If not, why not?
Let's assume that a fatwa is issued with which you agree, that calls for someone near you to be punished by true Moslems. Would you carry out such a fatwa for the imam making it? If not, why not?

I disagree with your premise for me even to hypothetically agree with the fatwa - I do not agree with Imams issuing 'hits' on individuals in other countries in pretty much all cases (although perhaps it would be understandable if the person was like commanding genocide or something). I do not believe it is correct for people to go against the law of the land in order to carry out these punishments; if they want to punish said individual, they can only do so in their own country.
I disagree with your premise for me even to hypothetically agree with the fatwa - I do not agree with Imams issuing 'hits' on individuals in other countries in pretty much all cases (although perhaps it would be understandable if the person was like commanding genocide or something). I do not believe it is correct for people to go against the law of the land in order to carry out these punishments; if they want to punish said individual, they can only do so in their own country.

But if you happened to be in that country, and agreed with the fatwa?

Such a fatwa wouldn't hold water islamically anywhere, as islam does not believe in mob rule or mob justice.
If such a 'hit' fatwa was issued then Islamically the issuer would be in trouble. As they have taken a state power that only the emir, kaliph or qadi can issue and to be carried out by their autherised representatives ie army, police. Not by some random down the road.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Al-farhan
Such a fatwa wouldn't hold water islamically anywhere, as islam does not believe in mob rule or mob justice.
If such a 'hit' fatwa was issued then Islamically the issuer would be in trouble. As they have taken a state power that only the emir, kaliph or qadi can issue and to be carried out by their autherised representatives ie army, police. Not by some random down the road.

We've already established that Zamestaneh does agree with a few fatwas so your objection is irrelevant. I await his answer, not yours, and this wouldn't be a mob, but a single person.

In any event, we have seen a great deal of evidence of Moslems resorting to mob rule to deal with perceptions of insults against Islam. People have been murdered by mobs in retaliation for such supposed sins as insulting Mohammed, for damaging copies of the Koran, for eating or selling pork, for being dressed improperly. Islam may not approve of mob rule but its adherents certainly seem to.
(edited 7 years ago)
We've already established that Zamestaneh does agree with a few fatwas so your objection is irrelevant. I await his answer, not yours.

It is a bit sad that you disregard the post addressing your points, and simply go around in circles making the same redundant points.
I did not post an objection as you say. Rather that such fatwas regardless of how headline grabbing they are hold no weight islamically.
And I believe islam is what we are discussing here, so my post is quite relevant and answers your post fully.
I will await a proper reply dealing with the points raised in my post.
Otherwise enjoy your day.
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
- Hatred for the Four Sunni Schools of Law (The 4 Madhabs), the two schools of doctrine (Asharis and Maturidis), and all the schools of self-purification (Tasawwuf - Sufism);

You extremist Sufis who only preach hate against others and claim everyone else is wrong are definitely one's to avoid. Why? You spoke your opinion and lied multiple times to promote your ideology, and didn't even bring evidence.

Firstly regarding the attributes of Allāh. The 4 Imāms agreed we should take them literally, however we do not describe them nor say how they are.
[ ] Imam Ash-Shafi'i said: "The creed which I hold is the same creed the Muslims before me were holding, namely, the Testimony of Faith: "There is no god worthy of being worshipped except Allah, that Muhammed is the Messenger of Allah, and that Allah is above His 'Arsh, above the heavens. He descends to the lowest heaven whenever He wishes." [Al-Juyush al-Islamiyyah, Ibn Al-Qayyim, p. 93]
[ ] Imam ibn Khuzaymah, a Shafi'ite himself, said: "Whoever disacknowledges that Allah is above His 'Arsh, above His seven heavens, and that He is separated from His creatures, is a Kafir, (unbeliever)."
[ ] "Indeed your Lord is Allâh, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He Istiwā (Rose over) the Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty)." [Qur'an 7:54]
[ ] Ibn Kathir said: "The people had several conflicting opinions over its meaning. However, we follow the way that our righteous predecessors took in this regard, such as Malik, Al-Awza`i, Ath-Thawri, Al-Layth bin Sa`d, Ash-Shafi`i, Ahmad, Ishaq bin Rahwayh and the rest of the scholars of Islam, in past and present times. Surely, we accept the apparent meaning of, Al-Istawa, without discussing its true essence, equating it (with the attributes of the creation), or altering or denying it (in any way or form). We also believe that the meaning that comes to those who equate Allah with the creation is to be rejected, for nothing is similar to Allah" [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, regarding Allah's Istiwa on The Throne (7:54)]

As for assigning Allāh to a place, they did not do this. Rather Allāh (عز وجل) and his Messenger (ﷺ) did so themselves.
[ ] "The Most Gracious (Allâh) rose over (Istawā) the (Mighty) Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty)." [Qur'an 20:5]
[ ] Mua’wiyah ibn al-Hakam reported: I said, “O Messenger of Allah, I have a servant-girl whom I slapped.” That upset the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him. I said to him, “Shall I emancipate her?” The Prophet said, Bring her to me.” Then, she was brought and the Prophet said, Where is Allah? She said, “In heaven.” The Prophet said, Who am I?” She said, “You are the Messenger of Allah.” The Prophet said, Free her, for she is a believer.” [Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 537]
[ ] Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet said: "There are hundred levels in Jannah which Allah has prepared for the Mujahidin who fight in His cause. Between on level and another is a distance which is equal to that between the earth and the heaven. When you ask Allah, azza wajull, ask Him for Firdaws, because it is situated in the midst and Highest point of Jannah from where the rivers of Jannah spring, and above it is the 'Arsh of the Most Merciful." [Imam Al-Bukhari, Ahmad, and others]

Then I'd like to go onto a Hadith which warns against people who reject accepting parts of the Qur'an and go for something allogerical or philosophical (I.e Ash'aris and Maturidis)
A'ishah said:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) recited this verse: "He it is who has sent down to you the Book: in it are verses basic or fundamental . . . ." Up to "men of understanding" . She said: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) then said: When you see those people who follow that which is allegorical in the Quran, those are the people whom Allah has named (in the Quran). So avoid them."
Sahih
Sunan Abi Dawud 4598
In-book : Book 42, Hadith 3
English translation : Book 41, Hadith 4581

As for the claim that Salafis created hate against Ash'aris, this is an obvious lie. Ibn Abdul-Barr (d.390H) said: "Every person of rhetoric is from the people of desires and Bid'ah whether he is an Ash'ari or other than that. His witness is never accepted in Islām." So can you tell me how you got to this conclusion when Scholars were already warning against Ash'aris 900 years ago.

Imām Ash-Shafi'ī said: "My judgement upon the people of rhetoric (Ahlul Kalām) is that they should be beaten with palm branches" [Al-Baghawi reported in Sharh As-Sunnah, 1/218]

Imām Ahmed Ibn Hanbal said: "The person of Theological rhetoric will never prosper" [Reported by Ibn Qudāmah in his Burhan Fee Bayanil-Quran and As-Sunnah p.235]

Tell me now, are the Ash'ari and Maturidi creed not based on their own philosophy, realism and logic?

Then as for the 4 Imām hatred, this is just a blatant lie since most Salafis I know are either Shafi'ī or Hanbali. And have met a few Maliki and Hanafi. What the Salafis are against is the blind following of Imāms, which is what they told us themselves.

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (rahimahullaah) said:
“Do not follow my opinion; neither follow the opinion of Maalik, nor Shaafi’i, nor Awzaa’i, nor Thawri, but take from where they took.”
{Ibn al-Qayyim in I’laam, 2/302}.

Imām Maalik ibn Anas (رحمه الله) said: “Truly I am only a mortal: I make mistakes (sometimes) and I am correct (sometimes). Therefore, look into my opinions: all that agrees with the Book and the Sunnah, accept it; and all that does not agree with the Book and the Sunnah, ignore it.” {Ibn ‘Abdul Barr in Jaami’ Bayaan al-‘Ilm, 2/32}

Imam Shafaii (رحمه الله) said:
“Follow it (the Sunnah), and do not look sideways at anyone else’s saying.”
{Harawi in Dhamm al-Kalaam (3/47/1), Khateeb in Al-Ihtijaaj bi ash-Shaafi’i (8/2)

Abu Haneefah (رحمه الله) said:
“When a hadīth is found to be sahīh, then that is my Madhab.” {Ibn ‘Aabideen in al-Haashiyah (1/63) and in his essay Rasm al-Mufti}
Original post by Tawheed
’Ibn Taymiyyah said about the Rafidhah[i.e shia muslims], “They are more evil than most of the people of desires, and they are more deserving of being killed than the Khawarij. (Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa 28/482)’Would the above be justifiable ? I ask this not to spam you the question, but because it is relevant to the particular part in bold.

"Spilling his blood (a Rafidah) is more lawful than spilling wine" - Ibn Kathir in Al-Bidayah wa'an Niyāhan
The scholar who is the writer of the most popular Sunni Qur'an Tafsir.

"I don't see any difference between praying Salah behind a Jew and a Rafidah" - Imām Bukhari in Khalq Af'aluul-'Ibaad. The famous Muhaddith and compiler of the collection Sahih Al-Bukhari.

"Whoever doubts the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and Umar is a kafir" - Abu Hanifah in al-Sawaiq al-Muhriqāh
"The Rafidah have nothing to do with Islam" - Imām Ahmad in Usul As-Sunnah
2 of the four Imāms of Fiqh in Sunni Islām.

"Whoever doubts them (The Raafidah) being a kuffar, he himself is a kafir" - Imām Ibn Aābidīn in Uqūd ad-Durriyyah.
Who is a famous scholar from Damascus who was upon the Maturidi creed.

Taking things out of context won't do you good since pretty much all of the Sunni Imāms had the same view, whether Ibn Taymiyyah or a Maturidi or an Ash'ari. They were all against Shi'ites, so don't use hypocrisy to make one look bad while concealing the other. You guys just love to find anything as a reason to propagate hate against anyonewho doesn't want your ideology.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cıllıan
You extremist Sufis who only preach hate against others and claim everyone else is wrong are definitely one's to avoid. Why? You spoke your opinion and lied multiple times to promote your ideology, and didn't even bring evidence.

Firstly regarding the attributes of Allāh. The 4 Imāms agreed we should take them literally, however we do not describe them nor say how they are.
[ ] Imam Ash-Shafi'i said: "The creed which I hold is the same creed the Muslims before me were holding, namely, the Testimony of Faith: "There is no god worthy of being worshipped except Allah, that Muhammed is the Messenger of Allah, and that Allah is above His 'Arsh, above the heavens. He descends to the lowest heaven whenever He wishes." [Al-Juyush al-Islamiyyah, Ibn Al-Qayyim, p. 93]
[ ] Imam ibn Khuzaymah, a Shafi'ite himself, said: "Whoever disacknowledges that Allah is above His 'Arsh, above His seven heavens, and that He is separated from His creatures, is a Kafir, (unbeliever)."
[ ] "Indeed your Lord is Allâh, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He Istiwā (Rose over) the Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty)." [Qur'an 7:54]
[ ] Ibn Kathir said: "The people had several conflicting opinions over its meaning. However, we follow the way that our righteous predecessors took in this regard, such as Malik, Al-Awza`i, Ath-Thawri, Al-Layth bin Sa`d, Ash-Shafi`i, Ahmad, Ishaq bin Rahwayh and the rest of the scholars of Islam, in past and present times. Surely, we accept the apparent meaning of, Al-Istawa, without discussing its true essence, equating it (with the attributes of the creation), or altering or denying it (in any way or form). We also believe that the meaning that comes to those who equate Allah with the creation is to be rejected, for nothing is similar to Allah" [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, regarding Allah's Istiwa on The Throne (7:54)]

As for assigning Allāh to a place, they did not do this. Rather Allāh (عز وجل) and his Messenger (ﷺ) did so themselves.
[ ] "The Most Gracious (Allâh) rose over (Istawā) the (Mighty) Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty)." [Qur'an 20:5]
[ ] Mua’wiyah ibn al-Hakam reported: I said, “O Messenger of Allah, I have a servant-girl whom I slapped.” That upset the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him. I said to him, “Shall I emancipate her?” The Prophet said, Bring her to me.” Then, she was brought and the Prophet said, Where is Allah? She said, “In heaven.” The Prophet said, Who am I?” She said, “You are the Messenger of Allah.” The Prophet said, Free her, for she is a believer.” [Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 537]
[ ] Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet said: "There are hundred levels in Jannah which Allah has prepared for the Mujahidin who fight in His cause. Between on level and another is a distance which is equal to that between the earth and the heaven. When you ask Allah, azza wajull, ask Him for Firdaws, because it is situated in the midst and Highest point of Jannah from where the rivers of Jannah spring, and above it is the 'Arsh of the Most Merciful." [Imam Al-Bukhari, Ahmad, and others]

Then I'd like to go onto a Hadith which warns against people who reject accepting parts of the Qur'an and go for something allogerical or philosophical (I.e Ash'aris and Maturidis)
A'ishah said:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) recited this verse: "He it is who has sent down to you the Book: in it are verses basic or fundamental . . . ." Up to "men of understanding" . She said: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) then said: When you see those people who follow that which is allegorical in the Quran, those are the people whom Allah has named (in the Quran). So avoid them."
Sahih
Sunan Abi Dawud 4598
In-book : Book 42, Hadith 3
English translation : Book 41, Hadith 4581

As for the claim that Salafis created hate against Ash'aris, this is an obvious lie. Ibn Abdul-Barr (d.390H) said: "Every person of rhetoric is from the people of desires and Bid'ah whether he is an Ash'ari or other than that. His witness is never accepted in Islām." So can you tell me how you got to this conclusion when Scholars were already warning against Ash'aris 900 years ago.

Imām Ash-Shafi'ī said: "My judgement upon the people of rhetoric (Ahlul Kalām) is that they should be beaten with palm branches" [Al-Baghawi reported in Sharh As-Sunnah, 1/218]

Imām Ahmed Ibn Hanbal said: "The person of Theological rhetoric will never prosper" [Reported by Ibn Qudāmah in his Burhan Fee Bayanil-Quran and As-Sunnah p.235]

Tell me now, are the Ash'ari and Maturidi creed not based on their own philosophy, realism and logic?

Then as for the 4 Imām hatred, this is just a blatant lie since most Salafis I know are either Shafi'ī or Hanbali. And have met a few Maliki and Hanafi. What the Salafis are against is the blind following of Imāms, which is what they told us themselves.

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (rahimahullaah) said:
“Do not follow my opinion; neither follow the opinion of Maalik, nor Shaafi’i, nor Awzaa’i, nor Thawri, but take from where they took.”
{Ibn al-Qayyim in I’laam, 2/302}.

Imām Maalik ibn Anas (رحمه الله) said: “Truly I am only a mortal: I make mistakes (sometimes) and I am correct (sometimes). Therefore, look into my opinions: all that agrees with the Book and the Sunnah, accept it; and all that does not agree with the Book and the Sunnah, ignore it.” {Ibn ‘Abdul Barr in Jaami’ Bayaan al-‘Ilm, 2/32}

Imam Shafaii (رحمه الله) said:
“Follow it (the Sunnah), and do not look sideways at anyone else’s saying.”
{Harawi in Dhamm al-Kalaam (3/47/1), Khateeb in Al-Ihtijaaj bi ash-Shaafi’i (8/2)

Abu Haneefah (رحمه الله) said:
“When a hadīth is found to be sahīh, then that is my Madhab.” {Ibn ‘Aabideen in al-Haashiyah (1/63) and in his essay Rasm al-Mufti}

You are responding to a 4 year old thread bro
You are responding to a 4 year old thread bro

Yh I realised, I saw it in my suggestions and left my response in case of any passers by like myself
An obvious uneducated Google response
No not really it was just a reply, I actually claim pride in leaving Sufism for Salafiyyah :biggrin:
If you want a nuanced discussion on this, we can talk about this on a thread because respectfully this is an ignorant and/or emotional response and is no different from a non-Muslim looking at you as a Muslim and calling you a terrorist.

Conversely, we can talk about the other root of your opposition to "Salafis" which stems from you being born into the Twelver Shia community, which might be more fruitful.
Hm, I may have mistaken you as someone else if my assumption of you being raised Shia is incorrect.

Nonetheless, despite by opposition to Twelver beliefs and practices, your generalisations of any group you describe seems to be extremely reductive
Original post by Cıllıan
No not really it was just a reply, I actually claim pride in leaving Sufism for Salafiyyah :biggrin:

There's no such people as salafis
Salaf just means the past 🤣
Original post by Akhi Sleepy
There's no such people as salafis
Salaf just means the past 🤣

Salaf in the linguistic term means the past, or those who preceded us, yes. However in the shari'i term it refers to the Salaf us-Sālihīn (The Righteous Predecessors)

The Salaf consists of-

1) The Prophet (ﷺ) and Companions (رضي الله عنهم)

2) The Tabi'een (Followers of the Companions)

3) The Taba ut-Tabi'een (Followers of the Tabi'een)

A person being "Salafi" does not mean that they have a sect or special rank (although it is special to be one). Salafiyyah is a manhaj (methodology) which means taking Islām in the same method the Salaf did. There are also other things that come with being Salafi like you might have noticed above, not blindly following a single Imām (Absolute Taqlīd is haraam), rather we follow them all and when we notice something wrong, we ignore it and move to whoever is correct.

Spoiler

An example of when Salafis don't follow one of the 4 Imāms is hand positioning in prayer. (I'm using this example as I have noticed someone on here mocking the way Salafis pray without realising it is the sunnah, and to show how making too much Taqlīd turns people into heretical fools who hate the sunnah).

Spoiler

Another example of where Salafis differ from blind followers is in avoiding Bid'ah. As we all know the clear hadith:
Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) would praise Allah in his sermon, as He deserves to be praised, and then he would say: "The most evil matters in religion are those that are newly invented, for every newly invented matter is an innovation. Every innovation is misguidance, and every misguidance is in the Hellfire.”
[Sunan al-Nasā’ī 1578]

From this hadith we can obviously clear out of our way many sects who have invented things into the religion, such as the Rafidah Shia who beat their backs and do other weird things, such as the Sufis who dance in Masajid and the extreme Sufis who go to graves to seek help from them and do black magic to interact with jinn. Or such the Qadiyani who claim Isa ibn Maryam (عليه السلام) isn't coming back, such as the Kitaabis who claim that the a'hadith do not need to be followed and who reject the other 7 Qiraat of Allāhs Book. Or such as the Ibādis who claim Allāhs book is not His words and is a human creation, or such as the Barelwiyya who claim the universe was created for the pleasure of the Prophet (ﷺ) only. Or such as the extremely blind following Hanafis who say they love him but know nothing about Abu Haneefah رحمه الله , so they follow him only for fiqh and think following the Sunnah is weird because Abu Haneefah رحمه الله did not do some parts of it. Or such as the Ash'aris who stem from the Jahmiyyah (the creators of the Ibādi sect), and believe that Allāh is not above His 'Arsh in a Manner that befits His Majesty and a way that is unlike His creation, and reject His beautiful sifaat (attributes).
When challenged to prove their belief or ideology from the Qur'an and Sunnah none of these named sects can do so, other than "my sheikh said", "my dad said".

So it is obvious we have to follow the Salaf to save ourselves from being misguided by emotions, as in the Qur'an it says "Hold tight to the rope of Allāh", which means sticking to the Jama'ah (correct group) so you don't go astray.
As it is described in the sunnah the saved group will be the people who follow the salaf.
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr:
That The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "...My Ummah will split into seventy-three sects. All of them are in the Fire Except one sect." He said: "And which is it O Messenger of Allah?" He said: "What I am upon and my Companions."
[Sunan at-Tirmidhī 2641]

Abdullah ibn Mas’ud رضي الله عنه narrated: The Prophet (ﷺ) said: “The best people are those of my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them (The Salaf)"
[Bukhari and Muslim, Muttafaqun Alayhi]

Umar رضي الله عنه reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “I enjoin you to follow my companions, then those after them and those after them. (The Salaf)"
[Sunan al-Tirmidhī 2165]

I am only able to scratch the surface here, but although I only became "Salafi" recently I am willing to discuss with you about Salafiyyah or why I left Sufism in a sense, in dm or instagram me, however I am not knowledgeable like the others such as Zamestaneh, as I am still a layman like yourself. But I know you like Dawahman so here is a video from him and others.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
This is completely trash talking.
Salafi believe only in the quran and hadith . Whatever said in them we say ok
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
Imran Ibn Mansur (Dawah Man) is an ignoramus, he seems to think he can speak about Scholars and the Islamic sciences when he is in no position to do so

It's saddening to see that young people follow this fool, YouTube celebrities and self proclaimed scholars instead of following Traditional Scholars

You shouldn't talk about any scholars like that.
May Allah guide you

Latest

Trending

Trending