Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

To those that have graduated university, have you found it was worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To those the have graduated university, have you found it was worth it in terms of how much you're making now? If you had the £30,000+ debt are you finding you're paying it back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigglr)
    To those the have graduated university, have you found it was worth it in terms of how much you're making now? If you had the £30,000+ debt are you finding you're paying it back?
    I'm not earning a huge amount atm but I'm in the role I wanted. I never saw university in terms of = a well paying job though so I wasn't disappointed. In fact not so longer ago the internship I have now would have been totally unpaid (but necessary to get into a permanent role). On the old fee system so my debt its around £25,000, I've made one small payment but tbh I'm not even thinking about it, it comes out of my paycheck automatically like tax and if I go below the repayment threshold then I stop paying, no-one will chase me up.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigglr)
    It's definitely been worth it.

I would perhaps choose something more vocational if I to choose again... I did History.

However, choosing History gave me a lot of freedom at uni which meant I had a lot of opportunity to get involved in sports leadership, volunteering projects and work in the SU bar - it's all of those experiences across the three years at uni that gave me the edge over other grads I think, not actually the degree itself. All of those things gave me a lot of transferable skills, confidence and good communication skills.

My earnings jumped up massively when I was an HR business partner I was on a very good salary but the job took it's toll on my health. Luckily it gave me what I needed to save for a house deposit. Once we were on the house there was less pressure to earn a big salary.

My student loan comes out every month - it feels like tax. I worked at uni over the three years so I didn't use a credit card.

ReputationRep:
    Worth every penny if you studied a good degree at a reputable University.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.