Is my learning technique bad for pharmacy?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, basically I'm really panicking if I am wasting time the way in which I am studying my degree, 1st year. Its the 3rd week now in terms of lectures. I've JUST memorised/revised the 1st week of lecture slides...this was done by my new method of learning which is making question flash cards e.g. questions on one side, answers and diagrams on the other. While I am doing this...I cant help but feel I am just wasting my time, and instead of putting hours into writing letters/words on a small piece of paper while not really being able to memorise it, I could use that time instead to just look at the powerpoint slides and try to memorise it from there straight off. I have tried that method tho....and it doesn't really help me, or maybe I am doing it wrong.

With the demand of my course compared to others, added on top with my longwinded learning technique, I really am worried I might fail the year

Btw, i personally find writing "notes" in uni a waste of time, done it before in GCSE's, not A level. I just dont see the point of writing something out again when it's perfectly well explained on a textbook or a powerpoint. I know it is a bit hypocritical that I am writing flash cards, but it feels like I am "actively learning" rather than just trying to memorise memorise memorise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    Hey guys, basically I'm really panicking if I am wasting time the way in which I am studying my degree, 1st year. Its the 3rd week now in terms of lectures. I've JUST memorised/revised the 1st week of lecture slides...this was done by my new method of learning which is making question flash cards e.g. questions on one side, answers and diagrams on the other. While I am doing this...I cant help but feel I am just wasting my time, and instead of putting hours into writing letters/words on a small piece of paper while not really being able to memorise it, I could use that time instead to just look at the powerpoint slides and try to memorise it from there straight off. I have tried that method tho....and it doesn't really help me, or maybe I am doing it wrong.

With the demand of my course compared to others, added on top with my longwinded learning technique, I really am worried I might fail the year

Btw, i personally find writing "notes" in uni a waste of time, done it before in GCSE's, not A level. I just dont see the point of writing something out again when it's perfectly well explained on a textbook or a powerpoint. I know it is a bit hypocritical that I am writing flash cards, but it feels like I am "actively learning" rather than just trying to memorise memorise memorise.
    Use something like quizlet to make electronic flash cards,it would be much quicker. Notes should be for any additional info not on slides or in the book,maybe take a laptop in and then type in anything relevant the lecturer says.

ReputationRep:
    There's no one size fits all technique which works for everyone. Just use what works for you.

Beware of spending too much time memorizing lecture content though. On my degree we were told that lectures contained about 10% of what we needed to get a good degree. Uni isn't like school, where lessons teach you what you need to know to pass exams. You need to demonstrate a breadth of knowledge in uni work/exams. Make sure that you allow enough time for independent reading as well.

ReputationRep:
    Though every course has a certain amount of rote learning to do (particularly things like pharmacy) you need to be sure that your work is not just descriptive - you can just about get away with descriptive at Level 4 (first year) but not from Level 5 onwards. Descriptive work is often a result of memorising lecture notes/slides so do try not to spend all your time doing this - spend a good amount of time thinking about what you've learnt and making connexions with other areas and topics

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.