Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm applying to Cambridge for MML (French and Spanish post-A Level) and I want to send off my UCAS today but I just can't decide which college to apply to!
    It's between Queens', Sidney Sussex, St Catharine's & Magdalene (I think?!)
    The things that put me off each:
    - Queens' - it recommends MMLers take a gap year and I'm not so will I be at a disadvantage?
    - Sidney Sussex - the stats aren't as good as others and not many get pooled to others (too paranoid?!)
    - St Catharine's - one of the interviews is a general language interview and I don't know if I'd interview well in that
    - Magdalene - I haven't visited and I've heard it's quite public school heavy?

Any recommendations welcome!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchspanish101)
    Hi!
    I'm applying to Cambridge for MML (French and Spanish post-A Level) and I want to send off my UCAS today but I just can't decide which college to apply to!
    It's between Queens', Sidney Sussex, St Catharine's & Magdalene (I think?!)
    The things that put me off each:
    - Queens' - it recommends MMLers take a gap year and I'm not so will I be at a disadvantage?
    - Sidney Sussex - the stats aren't as good as others and not many get pooled to others (too paranoid?!)
    - St Catharine's - one of the interviews is a general language interview and I don't know if I'd interview well in that
    - Magdalene - I haven't visited and I've heard it's quite public school heavy?

Any recommendations welcome!
    Don't worry about admissions stats.

And Queens' says this regarding MML: Candidates choosing not to take a gap year are in no way at a disadvantage in the application process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @jneill thanks for your advice!

I read that about Queens' but was concerned that I'd be with people who had all taken gap years and were thus a year older and possibly better linguists?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    @jneill thanks for your advice!

I read that about Queens' but was concerned that I'd be with people who had all taken gap years and were thus a year older and possibly better linguists?
    Take their comment on face value. They don't say things like that unless they mean it - otherwise it wastes their time, and yours. Don't worry about other applicants.

If you prefer Queens' apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Take their comment on face value. They don't say things like that unless they mean it - otherwise it wastes their time, and yours. Don't worry about other applicants.

If you prefer Queens' apply there.
    Ok thank you so much for your help! I think you've helped me to decide that I'll apply to Queens :-)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you so much for your help! I think you've helped me to decide that I'll apply to Queens :-)
    Good choice: I hope you enjoy the college punts and the mathematical bridge

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.