Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Old School Reference

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Can I use my old school reference when re-applying this year?
    I have a good one. The people I worked for in my gap year are just not answering quickly enough to give me a reference.
    Thanks to anyone who knows!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieKT)
    Hi,
    Can I use my old school reference when re-applying this year?
    I have a good one. The people I worked for in my gap year are just not answering quickly enough to give me a reference.
    Thanks to anyone who knows!!
    You will need to ask the school, because if the unis you're applying to have any questions they will contact the school. It's fine to use this reference as long as they're happy with it, and they most likely will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You will need to ask the school, because if the unis you're applying to have any questions they will contact the school. It's fine to use this reference as long as they're happy with it, and they most likely will be
    ALSO! Does anyone advise whether I should write why I'm leaving this uni in the personal statement? Seems a bit negative and haven't got any more room, now I've filled in what I did last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    ALSO! Does anyone advise whether I should write why I'm leaving this uni in the personal statement? Seems a bit negative and haven't got any more room, now I've filled in what I did last year!
    If you havent got any more room, then i wouldnt put it in, especially if it sounds a bit negative. No point taking out good stuff that will big you up a bit to put in anything that could sound negative. If any unis really want to know why, then they can quite easily ask you.

ReputationRep:
    When I was looking at applying for a different university whilst studying at UCL, they asked that my reference was written by someone at the current university.

You might want to email the ones you're applying to ask and what they would prefer.*

ReputationRep:
    You need to keep your personal statement positive. So you can list reasons for leaving if you say things about why you now like the new degree better. You would need to be careful with this though, as things like "i really like the cycle paths" are irrelevant.

But if you've managed to use up all the space with other things it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    When I was looking at applying for a different university whilst studying at UCL, they asked that my reference was written by someone at the current university.

You might want to email the ones you're applying to ask and what they would prefer.*
    See what you mean but I've only been here 3 weeks and they barely know who I am and we've not done any work!

ReputationRep:
    See what you mean but I've only been here 3 weeks and they barely know who I am and we've not done any work!
    The deadline for equal consideration is 15th Jan. (Except for Medicine / Oxbridge). So you still have some time to build an academic relationship with your tutor.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.