Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    rules: can't date friend's sis, ex, and um anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    you guys are forgetting about Monica and Chandler.

Of course it can work. Friends teaches us all we need to know about life.

ReputationRep:
    i personally dont think its a good idea. there are possible consequences such as u might ruin ur sisters friendship with her friend, it would be difficult for her to adjust to the fact that her sisters seeing her friend, hypothetically, if u were to start goin out n then u breakup, this would affect ur sisters friendship with him etc.. you've got to think broader...

ReputationRep:
    I find such rules lame but I think I'm one of the very few people who do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

lol
    don't think it would work in real life

ReputationRep:
    well in that case you shouldn't even date a friend's friend, because if you break up it would hurt him/her, he/she may have to side with one person, etc etc
    ultimately depends on your friend, assuming the sister likes you of course
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sometimes it is worth a risk but you are open to causing one or two rifts, especially if things don't work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasha89)
    I find such rules lame but I think I'm one of the very few people who do
    No I agree, I don't think it's very practical for a start, if two people really like each other they're not going to abide by rules, that's just common sense, besides it's trumped by the more established "all's fair in love and war" rule.

It also seems that the brother doesn't trust you which is an issue you could play on to try and bring him round.

Could be he doesn't really mind he just thinks as the brother he is obliged to be protective, especially if she's younger, have a talk with him.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldnt do it, especially without your mates permission. Its breaking the bloke 'rules'. If I had a sister and my mate banged her, id kill him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

That and Harry Potter :p:
    How well do you know both of them, OP?

ReputationRep:

I'm with you there!
    Ross was mad at first because of these, rule things, but he recovered and I would like to think a true friend would too. Just be careful, you don't want to lose a good friendship

ReputationRep:
    Im going out with one of my best mates' brother - its our 6 month anniversary tomorrow & all is going good we were lucky in that she didnt mind at all, besides winding me up for a while especially before we started going out officially.
    It can all be fine but depends on the people involved i think. To b fair, she & him dont get on that well & she often says that the only time she sees him really properly is when i am round & bring him with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    elaborate on what?:confused:
    Just the situation. How you feel about her, what you'd be looking for, how you think your friend would take it, the type of relationship you have with him, and whether you're prepared to lose a friend if the worst came to the worst. Also, how close are you to this girl? You need to give more facts so people can judge the situation if it's advice you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Tasha89, I throw in another vote for "Rules are Bullcrap".

let's face it, if two people like each other, they're going to be together. Not everyone stands on a tarmac during the Second Worls war, grabs the dame by the neck and tells her to leave with the other man.

Just bloody go for it. I honestly don't see the problem anyway. Why do guys react like that? Is it just because it squicks them out that their sisters are sexual as well? If so, then they should be bugged about any guy, but less by their friend, because at least they then know she'll be treated okay. I just don't get it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThirdCultureKid)
    Tasha89, I throw in another vote for "Rules are Bullcrap".

let's face it, if two people like each other, they're going to be together. Not everyone stands on a tarmac during the Second Worls war, grabs the dame by the neck and tells her to leave with the other man.

Just bloody go for it. I honestly don't see the problem anyway. Why do guys react like that? Is it just because it squicks them out that their sisters are sexual as well? If so, then they should be bugged about any guy, but less by their friend, because at least they then know she'll be treated okay. I just don't get it..
    haha very true, I was trying to say the same thing.
    great post.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.