Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

OCD Awareness Week 2016 (9th-15th October)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! :hi:

"OCD Awareness Week aims to raise understanding and awareness of what OCD is and how it affects people. OCD Awareness Week is a global effort to educate people and work towards removing the misunderstanding and stigma of this seriously debilitating condition." - University of Kent

"Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a serious anxiety-related condition where a person experiences frequent intrusive and unwelcome obsessional thoughts, often followed by repetitive compulsions, impulses or urges." - OCD-UK

So since its now officially OCD Awareness Week, I thought a thread would be rather fitting for it Over the next week, this thread will be used for general chat about the condition and also highlighted topics to discuss each day as well such as - personal experiences of OCD, coping tips, busting myths surrounding the condition etc. Self help and information links will be added as well. Feel free to mention any sites, blogs, videos you have personally found helpful as well

Here's a layout of the topics of the week ahead. If you feel any other topic relating to the condition should be mentioned then feel free to discuss it

1. Sunday 9th October - Giving tips on talking about OCD
    2. Monday 10th October - Sharing a first-hand experience of OCD
    3. Tuesday 11th October - Posting a daily fact about OCD
    4. Wednesday 12th October - Busting a myth about OCD
    5. Thursday 13th October Offering a different coping tip for OCD
    6. Friday 14th October - Reviewing a media portrayal of OCD
    7. Saturday 15th October - What do you think could be done both by health care professionals and friends and family to help OCD sufferers more?

Some useful sites for more information on the condition include -
    OCDUK.org - The UK's leading charity on OCD and related conditions such as BDD. They also have a forum for sufferers too.

NoMorePanic - UK based anxiety forum. Helpful to those suffering from any kind of anxiety disorder, including OCD.

topuk.org - UK based website dealing with phobias and OCD

I have a blog on TSR relating to OCD and my other conditions that you have probably read but I will link that as well. Be warned, its a long http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4053725

There are also free activities and lectures going on across The UK this week for OCD Awareness Week. You should be able to find the locations on OCDUK.org

So lets get this thread on the road! First post will be about giving tips and sharing my own experience on first opening up about the condition, both to friends and family and public on here and social media.

As always, feel free to ask questions, add any input or if you would like to talk privately, feel free to mail me :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    X
    You've put this together by yourself? :adore: You are amazing! I'm going to absolutely make sure some of this stuff gets promoted throughout the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    You've put this together by yourself? :adore: You are amazing! I'm going to absolutely make sure some of this stuff gets promoted throughout the week.
    All by myself with a little reading from OCD-UK

Thanks! That would mean a lot to me :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! :hi:

"OCD Awareness Week aims to raise understanding and awareness of what OCD is and how it affects people. OCD Awareness Week is a global effort to educate people and work towards removing the misunderstanding and stigma of this seriously debilitating condition." - University of Kent

"Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a serious anxiety-related condition where a person experiences frequent intrusive and unwelcome obsessional thoughts, often followed by repetitive compulsions, impulses or urges." - OCD-UK

So since its now officially OCD Awareness Week, I thought a thread would be rather fitting for it Over the next week, this thread will be used for general chat about the condition and also highlighted topics to discuss each day as well such as - personal experiences of OCD, coping tips, busting myths surrounding the condition etc. Self help and information links will be added as well. Feel free to mention any sites, blogs, videos you have personally found helpful as well

Here's a layout of the topics of the week ahead. If you feel any other topic relating to the condition should be mentioned then feel free to discuss it

1. Sunday 9th October - Giving tips on talking about OCD
    2. Monday 10th October - Sharing a first-hand experience of OCD
    3. Tuesday 11th October - Posting a daily fact about OCD
    4. Wednesday 12th October - Busting a myth about OCD
    5. Thursday 13th October Offering a different coping tip for OCD
    6. Friday 14th October - Reviewing a media portrayal of OCD
    7. Saturday 15th October - What do you think could be done both by health care professionals and friends and family to help OCD sufferers more?

Some useful sites for more information on the condition include -
    OCDUK.org - The UK's leading charity on OCD and related conditions such as BDD. They also have a forum for sufferers too.

NoMorePanic - UK based anxiety forum. Helpful to those suffering from any kind of anxiety disorder, including OCD.

topuk.org - UK based website dealing with phobias and OCD

I have a blog on TSR relating to OCD and my other conditions that you have probably read but I will link that as well. Be warned, its a long http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4053725

There are also free activities and lectures going on across The UK this week for OCD Awareness Week. You should be able to find the locations on OCDUK.org

So lets get this thread on the road! First post will be about giving tips and sharing my own experience on first opening up about the condition, both to friends and family and public on here and social media.

As always, feel free to ask questions, add any input or if you would like to talk privately, feel free to mail me :hugs:
    Great thread idea, good on you for all your hard work

ReputationRep:
    Great thread :yep:
    Shall be visiting a lot!

As a lot of people know now, i have OCD myself (and also made a blog about it here, which i shall link in a minute). So this thread is an important one, as is this week!

ReputationRep:
    Lets get this thread started! :woo:

Topic one - Tips and experiences about opening up on OCD

My experience on opening up about OCD was a bit rocky. I was upfront from day one about suffering from bad panic attacks and agoraphobia (both in real life and on social media) but I was wary about telling the world about OCD. I was diagnosed at around 5/6 and my close family knew about it but it wasn't ever discussed. It was more like they just put it down to who I was and kind of ignored that it was a serious condition. I'm not angry at them for doing that and I'm glad at least now, they accept it for what it truly is. I'll discuss in detail tomorrow when that topic comes up what lead me to get a diagnosis at such a young age but its all there in my blog if you want to read it

So why was I OK with talking about panic disorder (PD) and not OCD? Both are anxiety disorders, aren't they? I questioned this for a while and I think the main reason I was more comfortable opening up about PD was because, most of us will at some point in our lives experience a panic attack. To experience one or two every now and again doesn't mean you have PD but you can at least have a little idea what someone with PD sufferers from everyday even if you have only felt it once in your life whereas most people wont know exactly what an obsession or compulsion feels like. They think its something that sounds so silly and far fetched that it must be easy to shrug off just because it sounds so absurd, which when you have OCD, isn't the case. There are also more misconceptions about OCD than with PD and when you want to open up about having a certain condition, those misconceptions can really hold you back because you are scared you will just be seen as 'someone who washes their hands a lot' or 'someone who checks the door 4 times before going out' when actually, OCD is a lot more sinister than that.

What finally made me open up publicly as well as to some friends that didn't already know about OCD was this time last year actually. I was at my worst. I lost about 2 stone from not eating due to my contamination fears (again, well be explained more in tomorrows post but is in the blog already), I was accusing my partner and mum of trying to poison and kill me, I wasn't sleeping much, I was paranoid people were coming to get me so would stay up all night to check my windows and doors were locked and would even take videos of me checking they were locked to try and get some peace so I could just check the videos instead of having to get up and check the doors but it didn't help and in the end, I called NHS24 demanding to be sectioned because I couldn't cope. I didn't get sectioned but I saw my GP the next day who agreed it was one of the more severe cases of OCD she had seen and I got a referral for urgent therapy that day.

This breakdown showed me just how serious and sinister OCD can get and its not 'cute and quirky' like a lot of people think it is so I decided the only way to show people was to finally be upfront about it and thankfully, the support I got was amazing and people realised they had the wrong end of the stick with OCD. My stepdad even admitted he was wrong. He kept saying he had a mild form of OCD because he liked his DVDs in a certain order. He later realised that that's not OCD.

If you suffer from OCD or any other MH problem, don't feel like you absolutely have to come out and tell the world. You really don't. Its up to you entirely but a lot of us do want to talk about our conditions as talking often helps makes us feel better plus it can educate. Some tips I would have if you are considering speaking out are to start small. Start maybe anonymously on a forum and hopefully the replies you receive back will be helpful and empathetic and will give you confidence to talk about it more openly with people you know in real life. If you do decide to talk to people you know in real life, start with those closest to you and that you trust, if they don't already know. I had to start that way from anon, to those I trust and then I gained confidence and I realised that I had nothing to be ashamed about, only those who harbour stigma do and now I can tell absolutely anyone. Some things are still difficult to talk about and I still keep a lot to myself but I've came a long way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Great thread idea, good on you for all your hard work
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Great thread :yep:
    Shall be visiting a lot!

As a lot of people know now, i have OCD myself (and also made a blog about it here, which i shall link in a minute). So this thread is an important one, as is this week!
    Thanks guys

Means a lot that many people are taking the thread seriously and willing to engage in it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

Means a lot that many people are taking the thread seriously and willing to engage in it
    No worries!

Well you know i suffer from OCD so this is a great chance to raise the awareness needed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    No worries!

Well you know i suffer from OCD so this is a great chance to raise the awareness needed!
    Feel free to discuss the daily topics each day if you have time any contribution will be very much appreciated :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Lets get this thread started! :woo:

Topic one - Tips and experiences about opening up on OCD

My experience on opening up about OCD was a bit rocky. I was upfront from day one about suffering from bad panic attacks and agoraphobia (both in real life and on social media) but I was wary about telling the world about OCD. I was diagnosed at around 5/6 and my close family knew about it but it wasn't ever discussed. It was more like they just put it down to who I was and kind of ignored that it was a serious condition. I'm not angry at them for doing that and I'm glad at least now, they accept it for what it truly is. I'll discuss in detail tomorrow when that topic comes up what lead me to get a diagnosis at such a young age but its all there in my blog if you want to read it

So why was I OK with talking about panic disorder (PD) and not OCD? Both are anxiety disorders, aren't they? I questioned this for a while and I think the main reason I was more comfortable opening up about PD was because, most of us will at some point in our lives experience a panic attack. To experience one or two every now and again doesn't mean you have PD but you can at least have a little idea what someone with PD sufferers from everyday even if you have only felt it once in your life whereas most people wont know exactly what an obsession or compulsion feels like. They think its something that sounds so silly and far fetched that it must be able to shrug off just because it sounds so absurd, which when you have OCD, isn't the case. There are also more misconceptions about OCD than with PD and when you want to open up about having a certain condition, those misconceptions can really hold you back because you are scared you will just be seen as 'someone who washes their hands a lot' or 'someone who checks the door 4 times before going out' when actually, OCD is a lot more sinister than that.

What finally made me open up publicly as well as to some friends that didn't already know about OCD was this time last year actually. I was at my worst. I lost about 2 stone from not eating due to my contamination fears (again, well be explained more in tomorrows post but is in the blog already), I was accusing my partner and mum of trying to poison and kill me, I wasn't sleeping much, I was paranoid people were coming to get me so would stay up all night to check my windows and doors were locked and would even take videos of me checking they were locked to try and get some peace so I could just check the videos instead of having to get up and check the doors but it didn't help and in the end, I called NHS24 demanding to be sectioned because I couldn't cope. I didn't get sectioned but I saw my GP the next day who agreed it was one of the more severe cases of OCD she had seen and I got a referral for urgent therapy that day.

This breakdown showed me just how serious and sinister OCD can get and its not 'cute and quirky' like a lot of people think it is so I decided the only way to show people was to finally be upfront about it and thankfully, the support I got was amazing and people realised they had the wrong end of the stick with OCD. My stepdad even admitted he was wrong. He kept saying he had a mild form of OCD because he liked his DVDs in a certain order. He later realised that that's not OCD.

If you suffer from OCD or any other MH problem, don't feel like you absolutely have to come out and tell the world. You really don't. Its up to you entirely but a lot of us do want to talk about our conditions as talking often helps makes us feel better plus it can educate. Some tips I would have if you are considering speaking out are to start small. Start maybe anonymously on a forum and hopefully the replies you receive back will be helpful and empathetic and will give you confidence to talk about it more openly with people you know in real life. If you do decide to talk to people you know in real life, start with those closest to you and that you trust, if they don't already know. I had to start that way from anon, to those I trust and then I gained confidence and I realised that I had nothing to be ashamed about, only those who harbour stigma do and now I can tell absolutely anyone.
    No need to thank us, i've learnt more about OCD for when you speak about it on TSR than anything i've learnt before, you do a brilliant job of raising awareness and i m looking forward to keeping up with your thread this week.

I'm sorry to hear that your OCD wasn't taken too seriously when you were a child, glad to hear that they much better understand now, i think it's really admirable of you to not feel angry towards them for that, you seem like a much more forgiving person than I could ever be. From how your compare talking about your PD compared to your OCD, i can see why you were more comfortable telling people about it, people do seem more informed when it comes to anxiety compared to OCD. I did used to be similar with my dyspraxia diagnosis, in that it took me years to tell anyone that wasnt family but was completely fine telling anybody as soon as I found out I had dyslexia too as i felt at least they should have some clue what it was (although that could have been an age thing, i was very ashamed to admit anything was wrong with me when i was a kid).

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to discuss the daily topics each day if you have time any contribution will be very much appreciated :hugs:
    Ill try to but one doesnt have much free time anymore
    Ill visit daily and post something though

ReputationRep:
    You're doing a good job Spocky *

ReputationRep:
    Amazing work! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    No need to thank us, i've learnt more about OCD for when you speak about it on TSR than anything i've learnt before, you do a brilliant job of raising awareness and i m looking forward to keeping up with your thread this week.

I'm sorry to hear that your OCD wasn't taken too seriously when you were a child, glad to hear that they much better understand now, i think it's really admirable of you to not feel angry towards them for that, you seem like a much more forgiving person than I could ever be. From how your compare talking about your PD compared to your OCD, i can see why you were more comfortable telling people about it, people do seem more informed when it comes to anxiety compared to OCD. I did used to be similar with my dyspraxia diagnosis, in that it took me years to tell anyone that wasnt family but was completely fine telling anybody as soon as I found out I had dyslexia too as i felt at least they should have some clue what it was (although that could have been an age thing, i was very ashamed to admit anything was wrong with me when i was a kid).
    That really means a lot to me :hugs: kinda makes me feel like my struggles with OCD aren't in vain if I can help others or help educate. I think I'll write out some of the other topics today since I have nothing else to do and then they'll be ready for posting tomorrow and the other days

I went through a bad phase of shame too and it took me years to admit to myself that I had no control over developing what I have and I just have to learn to live with it and that there should be no shame on my part. I'm glad you feel comfortable talking about your diagnosis now

(Original post by RHCPfan)
    You're doing a good job Spocky *
    PRSOM
    You're making me blush :teehee: Thanks :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Amazing work! :hugs:
    PRSOM - I say that so often to you these days :laugh: shows you are worthy of rep

Thank you! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I went through a bad phase of shame too and it took me years to admit to myself that I had no control over developing what I have and I just have to learn to live with it and that there should be no shame on my part. I'm glad you feel comfortable talking about your diagnosis now
    It did take me an awful long time to get over the fact that I couldnt ever be symptom free of dyspraxia but did eventually learn to live with it and realised that being comfortable with telling people might make them more understanding. Our diagnoses (can never get that plural rate) aren't anything to be ashamed of

ReputationRep:
    This is a great idea and one of my big tips for opening up is getting some practice on sites like this so double awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Very well put together. OCD awareness is very important especially as there is a very common misconception as to what OCD actually is.

I will be following.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    This is a great idea and one of my big tips for opening up is getting some practice on sites like this so double awesome.
    (Original post by sammygmfc)
    Very well put together. OCD awareness is very important especially as there is a very common misconception as to what OCD actually is.

I will be following.
    Thank you both for contributing and following this thread, that means a lot to me :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM - I say that so often to you these days :laugh: shows you are worthy of rep

Thank you! :hugs:
    Aw shush I really am not!

:hugs:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.