Self-pity is the most important emotion

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I heard a definition of Depression whereby the depressed have lost the ability to pity themselves. This seems accurate, but the question is, how do you get that self-pity back? Is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    I heard a definition of Depression whereby the depressed have lost the ability to pity themselves. This seems accurate, but the question is, how do you get that self-pity back? Is it possible?
    You feel as though people with depression have lost the ability to pity themselves? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    What does self pity achieve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    What does self pity achieve?
    It achieves self-soothing. De-stressing, eventually.

(Original post by Deyesy)
    You feel as though people with depression have lost the ability to pity themselves? :holmes:
    Yes, and the reason is because they hate themselves.

ReputationRep:

Yes, and the reason is because they hate themselves.
    Surely if you hate yourself; that is in itself a form of self-pity? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    To an extent I agree, but when it overwhelms you to the point you aren't doing anything but self pitying, i think it's quite damaging and certainly not helpful.

But yes, i also understand that that mindset isn't a conscious choice someone makes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Surely if you hate yourself; that is in itself a form of self-pity?
    No, because the Depressed do not feel they deserve pity when actually they deserve it the most. It is only normal undepressed people who will automatically feel a sense of self-pity when they get an incling of self-hatred. That self-pity cures their self-hatred for that moment. But like I said, depressed people have an infinite self-hatred, usually because of circumstances they have created in their mind. They feel trapped emotionally, perhaps there is reason for it, but they haven't been able to do the calculations that would enable them to escape from their mental trap.

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    To an extent I agree, but when it overwhelms you to the point you aren't doing anything but self pitying, i think it's quite damaging and certainly not helpful.

But yes, i also understand that that mindset isn't a conscious choice someone makes
    Many people who come to TSR are on their way to becoming depressed. The self-pity you witness is them trying to hold onto sanity for as long as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Many people who come to TSR are on their way to becoming depressed. The self-pity you witness is them trying to hold onto sanity for as long as possible.
    I see the self pity as a trap, a mindset poeple fall into and can't get out from. It just gets worse until you make an active effort to fix things

ReputationRep:
    No, because the Depressed do not feel they deserve pity when actually they deserve it the most. It is only normal undepressed people who will automatically feel a sense of self-pity when they get an incling of self-hatred. That self-pity cures their self-hatred for that moment. But like I said, depressed people have an infinite self-hatred, usually because of circumstances they have created in their mind. They feel trapped emotionally, perhaps there is reason for it, but they haven't been able to do the calculations that would enable them to escape from their mental trap.

Self-pity cures their self-hatred for that moment? For me self-pity makes any self-hatred worse and things 'outside' of my mind can make things better/worse. You seem to be trying to simplify something which isn't simple :/

You've just inferred that people with depression aren't sane when infact many people with the illness lead absolutely normal lives. It's quite a dangerous statement to make imho.

ReputationRep:
    the OP makes more sense if "self pity" is replaced by "self esteem".

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.