Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive just finished my AS levels.
    When i picked them i didnt have a clue what i wanted to do with my life. I ended up taking Psychology English Language Biology and Chem.
    Im confident ive done ok in Psych and Eng but i know ive done badly in Bio and Chem. Even if i manage to pass with a D or an E in these 2 subjects the chances of me passing A2 is slim. Would you agree?
    Since starting college, ive decided im really interested in Marketing. Im playing with the idea of starting college again and studying some different subjects (although i really enjoy psych and would love to keep doing it).
    Although i love science i've found the lessons to be so boring, im not looking to do 'easier' subjects, i just want to enjoy whatever it is that i do.

Do you think i should re-sit? And what subjects do you think would be useful and would help me go on to do Marketing (at Newcastle hopefully) ?

ReputationRep:
    You can do much better at A2 believe it or not.

It just depends on how determined you are.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until results day to finalise any decisions.
    Can't you do A2 Psych and Eng alongside any AS you want to pick up?

ReputationRep:
    Really?

Because the Bio Lecturer did a load of sums on her pc and came back and said 'only just over 20% of students who got a C at AS passed at A level'

That scares me alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonnie.grant)
    Wait until results day to finalise any decisions.
    Can't you do A2 Psych and Eng alongside any AS you want to pick up?
    Well it depends how the timetables work out but i think you can.
    BUT dont you need 3 full a levels to apply to most Unis?

ReputationRep:
    Is an E a pass, or C?

ReputationRep:
    As far as im aware everything but a U is a pass. Only a U is a fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big?mark)
    Really?

Because the Bio Lecturer did a load of sums on her pc and came back and said 'only just over 20% of students who got a C at AS passed at A level'

That scares me alot!
    All these stats are for idiots. Majority of those students don't work or care, and thus fail at A2. You will work, as you obviously care. If your doign edexcel, it is the same level of work... it's not like there is tough concepts to grasp...same old lovely memorisation with more essay based q's.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would wait patiently until this Thursday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_Bag)
    All these stats are for idiots. Majority of those students don't work or care, and thus fail at A2. You will work, as you obviously care. If your doign edexcel, it is the same level of work... it's not like there is tough concepts to grasp...same old lovely memorisation with more essay based q's.
    Is Edexcel an exam board? Im pretty sure we do OCR.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel is a exam board the 2nd biggest in the country.
    And i would say wait till you get results like everyone else has said and then decide if you want to go into marketing you dont have to do subjects like business studies or economics but the better uni's might want it im not sure

it depends how dedicated u are to the subject, and how much u want to do it again next year and if you feel you can put enough work in. I got DEE in physics last year then resat them all in jan and got CCC, and ive resat two of them again and i'l be suprised if i get less than a B in them. Ive also resat alot of chem modules. If u feel uve worked as hard as possible and done badly then dont bother, but if ur like me and didn't really do much revision then its worth trying i'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly.
    I just feel like if i go on to next year and then fail, ive wasted 2 years of my life. Where as if i quit now and start again, ive only wasted one.
    My college dont really give you much support and if you get less than a C in your AS they really dont like you taking the subject into A2, which of course doesnt give you much faith in yourself. They basically tell you that you are wasting your time and shouldnt bother.

I do feel like i could work harder and therefore get better grades, i think im just scared that im not capable.

I knew i was capable, jus wasn't sure whether i was willing to put all the work in. In class i understood everything quicker than every1 else and could answer every question, for me it was a case of remembering everything. Chem was a little different in the sense that there was only 2 of us at A2 and the guy i was with was dead into chem and is gunnna be doing a degree in it. but again i understood everything i jus cudn't remember it all.

We're also not suposed to be able 2 carry on with less than a C, and how i managed it i dont kno cos the teachers had only know me a year cos i learnt chem and physics in a different school to my own (long explanation). I must have just seemed deterimined enough. A few people in my year got similar grades but decided to resit the same subjects, but do year 12 again, wheras i did the resits whilst carring on with A2.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose i could resit AS while studying A2, it just seems like so much work. But nothing worth having ever came easy! Thanks for your help xx

personally i'd have a look at what results u get on thursday and decide then, and just do what feels right for you.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    There's no harm in starting again. It could even work in your favour - if next year, you sit A2 Lang + Psych, you can pick up another AS suited to Marketing (sorry, I don't know what'd be best, people going in for that could help maybe?) which means you'd only have one A2 to do in your third year - meaning you could use all that extra time to pick up some practical experience which'd really pay off when applying to Uni + jobs.

All that said, it does rely on two things - firstly, how flexible your college are prepared to be (you really do need to show you're dedicated, so be prepared to pull your finger out ) and secondly, your results on Thursday. For all you know, you've done really well in Chem and Bio.. it's really not worth making huge decisions until you know what's going on with your results. Having said that, I can understand why you want to be prepared with an alternative plan if it's not all good news on those.

If I were you - and this is just me - I'd do Lang and Psych A2 and another AS next year, and finish the A2 of that in a third year alongside some practical work in the marketing industry.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just finished my AS levels.
    When i picked them i didnt have a clue what i wanted to do with my life. I ended up taking Psychology English Language Biology and Chem.
    Im confident ive done ok in Psych and Eng but i know ive done badly in Bio and Chem. Even if i manage to pass with a D or an E in these 2 subjects the chances of me passing A2 is slim. Would you agree?
    Since starting college, ive decided im really interested in Marketing. Im playing with the idea of starting college again and studying some different subjects (although i really enjoy psych and would love to keep doing it).
    Although i love science i've found the lessons to be so boring, im not looking to do 'easier' subjects, i just want to enjoy whatever it is that i do.

Do you think i should re-sit? And what subjects do you think would be useful and would help me go on to do Marketing (at Newcastle hopefully) ?
    I'm kinda in the same situation. I know I have got no higher than a U grade at AS Chemistry (just praying Its not a U so they will let me carry it on :s) I do really like the subject, just messed up generally at AS. I intend to retake AS whilst studying for A2 and I believe I can do it in one year. So I don't have to do an extra year at college. i need a B grade you see. I'm also unsure about my History garde. Could be a D so if it is I will just have to do 2 retakes in January. You just have to work super hard and be willing to put in the effort.

I want to apply for uni's and a course that requires AAB so I will take a gap year and aply post A2 mind because I doubt I could bet my Chemistry teacher to predict me a B or A when I got an E at AS lol. but I'm confident I can get an A if I put in the work. You should be too!!

Chemistry isn't related to my degree at all, I just really enjoy it so if you feel the same, carry it on!

ReputationRep:
    Really?

That scares me alot!

Thats rubbish i know loads of people who got lower than a C at AS level, but then got A's and B'S at the end of A2 including myself. Bare in mind her PC hasnt taken into consideration the fact that people can retake exams the same year they do their A2's too...

ReputationRep:
    Really?

That scares me alot!
    C at AS is 180 point out of 300, and for the full A level you'd need 240 out of 600 - which is only another 60 out of 300 - or 20% - it's not really that hard to achieve surely?

Granted an E isn't a great pass but even so, I'd be highly dubious of that figure.

Did the teacher suggest any reasons for it?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.