The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heheboy
I have applied to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and QMUL. I think I did very badly for my LNAT, so definitely not putting high hopes on the LNAT Universities :frown: Also, I heard that yesterday was the first batch of LSE rejection. When did you submit your application?

LSE are already rejecting people? woah .-.
Reply 161
Original post by Hxaler
LSE are already rejecting people? woah .-.

Yeap although I have yet to receive a rejection, I heard this news from some of my friends. The first batch of rejection is usually issued on the basis that the grades do not meet the basic entry requirements or more possibly, the personal statement is not written in the favour of LSE.

Did you apply to LSE for LLB as well?
Original post by Heheboy
I have applied to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and QMUL. I think I did very badly for my LNAT, so definitely not putting high hopes on the LNAT Universities :frown: Also, I heard that yesterday was the first batch of LSE rejection. When did you submit your application?

I'm quite scared about the LNAT too, because I have no idea how I did! :/

Yeah, I heard about that too, and it's stressing me out a bit.

Submitted mine on September 20th

Congrats on QMUL btw! (You're the one who got an unconditional offer, right?)
Reply 163
Original post by thirdcultureteen
I'm quite scared about the LNAT too, because I have no idea how I did! :/

Yeah, I heard about that too, and it's stressing me out a bit.

Submitted mine on September 20th

Congrats on QMUL btw! (You're the one who got an unconditional offer, right?)

Cheer up! I'm sure you will be able to work things well ! :smile: Yeap and thanks, i'm the one who has gotten the offer from QMUL. Sorry to ask, are you a Malaysian? Because you sound like one haha
Original post by Heheboy
Cheer up! I'm sure you will be able to work things well ! :smile: Yeap and thanks, i'm the one who has gotten the offer from QMUL. Sorry to ask, are you a Malaysian? Because you sound like one haha

Haha, thanks!

Nope, Singaporean though!
Original post by Heheboy
Yeap although I have yet to receive a rejection, I heard this news from some of my friends. The first batch of rejection is usually issued on the basis that the grades do not meet the basic entry requirements or more possibly, the personal statement is not written in the favour of LSE.

Did you apply to LSE for LLB as well?

Yesss xD
Also applied for KCL, UCL, Durham, and Cambridge.

Still have not done the LNAT though ;\
Original post by OSP97
Hmm, and if you're an aspiring law student, why didn't you respond to our argument that LSE isn't an LNAT Uni? You seem to be conveniently ignoring this point yet trumpeting others that supposedly support your claim. Of course there's a minimum LNAT score to be hit. You can't get 5 for your LNAT and pray to get an offer. Just like how you can't write complete garbage on your PS and hope they'll look at other parts of your application. What I'm trying to say is that for borderline cases (ie. Near or below the Uni cutoff score) they will look at other parts of your application as well.

I'm curious: are you currently a law student?if so, which Uni are you in? Because it sure isn't LSE

talk all you want. but be sure to let me know come january when the offers start rolling out k?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

most r in UK, followed by graduation and then BRITISH CITIZENSHIP! YAY!
Original post by wildhippogriff
Thanks for the info! Looks like it's going to be a long wait then. Durham's my first choice so I really hope I get an offer from them. I've heard it can be as late as March...

I've applied to Durham for law.
What subjects do you do and what were your AS grades and A level predictions ?

Thanks
Was clicking around Portico (UCL) and happened upon this -

"UCL will not consider an application until the LNAT results have been received. Please note, UCL do not receive LNAT results until 1 November, therefore, you will not receive a decision on your application until after this date."

Looks like we're in for an even longer wait, for anyone who's applied to UCL Law! :frown:
I applied 2 days ago to Leeds (access), Newcastle (partners), Liverpool, Leicester and Northumbria. Only problem is I am predicted ABC and an A in the EPQ. I believe i have a strong personal statement with loads of work exp so what do you guys think ? Automatic rejection or is there still hope for me ?
+ Ive had acknowledgements from Newcastle, Leicester and Northumbria.
Original post by KdotHaveADream
I applied 2 days ago to Leeds (access), Newcastle (partners), Liverpool, Leicester and Northumbria. Only problem is I am predicted ABC and an A in the EPQ. I believe i have a strong personal statement with loads of work exp so what do you guys think ? Automatic rejection or is there still hope for me ?
+ Ive had acknowledgements from Newcastle, Leicester and Northumbria.

There's definitely hope because you have work experience (is it Law related?) and the schemes are there to help. It depends on your GCSE results too and because Law is really really competitive, it also depends on what A-Level subjects you are taking
Original post by ayoolabada
There's definitely hope because you have work experience (is it Law related?) and the schemes are there to help. It depends on your GCSE results too and because Law is really really competitive, it also depends on what A-Level subjects you are taking

In terms of A levels im doing Law, Bio and PE and the epq.
Ive only done GCSE maths and english (C and a B) as i came from Ireland where we do the junior certificate instead. All my work exp is law related so hopefully they consider me...
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Haven't got acknowledgement emails from Durham or Manchester, anyone else?

I've got mine from Durham, but I sent my application off on 12/10. I wouldn't worry - they send them off in bulk.
Original post by Risobelle
x

The LSE do not see your LNAT, at all. They wouldn't ask you for your LNAT results. There is no option to send them your LNAT results.

That being said, there is some truth in what you're saying. There will generally be an LNAT score they (actual LNAT unis) think is adequate, and it's easy for them to reject anybody below that. However, it's also worth considering the role that GCSEs and (now, perhaps to a lesser extent) AS results play. I'm sure somebody who achieved 24 in a year where 26 was the average, but achieved 13A*s at a poor state school would be in for a chance when it comes to getting an offer.
Original post by Risobelle
I did not have to compose this post but I want to because this forum has helped me a lot albeit only a handful of forum members (i'm thinking 4 or 5 people? :curious:)

I scored 18 in my first LNAT, LSE rejected me, I called them up, the person said sorry to me and to apply elsewhere so I took a gap year and scored 35 for my second LNAT.

You don't have to believe me. But i repeat this again for those who are unaware of this but are willing to hear me out and then do their own research before deciding if i'm speaking sense or not.

Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis. If you score below a certain score which the LNAT uni has agreed by itself within its department to be the minimum mark for that application year then all applicants that have scored below that mark will be automatically rejected. You will be notified of that rejection via the personal portal (separate from UCAS) which all LNAT unis will create for you, provide the user ID and password to you for you to log in. It is in this portal where you can ask the tutor questions, they will reply to you or send them PDF copies of your results etc. Do a simple search on this forum and you will see so many who score 10, 11, 13, 15 etc for the LNAT and the LNAT unis rejected them outright. We will never ever know what the cut-off mark for the LNAT for that year is for a particular uni unless a Freedom of Information request is made.

Look at this link below. UCL first said that there is no benchmark score for the LNAT but then further down it says 'The average LNAT score for offer holders for 2014-15 was 27 (to the nearest whole number). For 2015-16 it was 28 (to the nearest whole number).
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lnat_statistics_3

Admission tutors may say publicly that the entire LNAT and the personal statement is looked at as a whole. But i was told on good authority by those who know that the essay component of the LNAT doesn't count for anything. It's only the LNAT MCQ that matters. The function of the LNAT is to filter those who cannot think logically from those who can, under timed exam conditions. Although I disagree with this thinking behind the unis that have adopted the LNAT, it's their decision and you have to abide by it. If you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you will see many students from the past as far back as 2011 who have shared their horrible experiences such as computer malfunction, noisy candidates in the room, failure to prepare for the LNAT MCQ and so much more. All of them were rejected by the LNAT unis and they had to settle for the Russell Group unis.

Anyways for those who scored above the mark set by the uni for the LNAT score, they will then be given conditional offers they must meet in order to gain a place for the law degree. On results day if you miss the offer given, then your conditional offer will lapse but it depends on how much you have missed the offer by. So you will have to contact the admissions team in that uni and practically beg them to take you in. Chances of this are virtually slim.

The conditional offers that were lapsed will then be tallied so that when Clearing comes along, these places will be given to deserving students who FIRSTLY scored high for the LNAT and have done well for the exams by scoring AAA or A*AA or A*AB. Once the Clearing exercise is over, places will also be given to those who have exceeded their offers and wish to go to a better uni.

For example if Joe scored 35 on the LNAT and A*AA and his firm choice was Nottingham who had asked for AAA, he would now want to apply to LSE instead which he can now do so under Adjustment. Once again when he calls up LSE, the admission tutor will first ask him how much he scored for the LNAT and then his A level grades. (If he did not do the LNAT then he will have to take a gap year and do the LNAT and reapply the following year.)

But suppose Joe did the LNAT and scored 35 on it, he will then have to email the LSE admissions team and they will make him an offer over the phone. Joe will then call up his firm choice Nottingham to release him, he will call up LSE to inform them that Bristol has released him, LSE will then make an offer to him via ucase and he will then accept it. This entire exercise in this paragraph is normally done within a few hours.

Joe will not be silly to ask Nottingham to release him unless his place at LSE has been confirmed. Once Joe gets a place at LSE, his place at Nottingham will then be given to someone else who for example had applied to Bristol with an LNAT score of 30 and A*AA but now wants to go to a better uni. So the cycle is such where most people who exceeded their offers will want to go to a better uni. There will be some who are contented with the firm choice because he stays near that uni or he's someone who has lived near that uni all his life and doesn't want to relocate elsewhere etc.

So as a recap for those applying to LNAT unis

personal statements doesn't matter one bit

LNAT score is what gets you a conditional offer

low LNAT score will see the LNAT uni reject you outright via notification in UCAS portal

Lower ranked unis will be lenient on both results days and during Clearing because they are heavily undersubscribed. You'll have to monitor a couple of the online newspapers who will update available places on courses in real-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/clearing/

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/clearing/clearing-2016-what-do-do-after-a-level-gcse-exam-results-applying-to-university-a7174126.html

It doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. Ace the LNAT and everything will fall into place. They have been cases in the past where people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE but it's only hearsay. It may very well be true but those cases should number very few.

what about the grades you apply with? If one applies with AAB/AAA to an A*AA uni and gets a high lnat score would it be possible to get an offer?
Got an offer from Queen Mary
Reply 177
Submitted my application for Law/Law with Politics on 21st October
GCSES: 4 A*s 7As
AS Grades: AABB
Predicted A2 Grades: AAA and an A in EPQ
Applied to Cardiff (Law and Law and Politics), Exeter, Manchester and Oxford Brookes
Had acknowledgements from Cardiff and Oxford Brookes so far but nothing from the others 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stekrose
what about the grades you apply with? If one applies with AAB/AAA to an A*AA uni and gets a high lnat score would it be possible to get an offer?

its possible but im thinking that its only in really exceptional cases. i think you're missing the point and the whole picture. the british pound is so weak right now so its really affordable to the thousands of international students who are dying to come to the UK to get a degree and return back to their countries where many of them are more successful first world countries (in terms of economy and prosperity) to work. there isn't a need to stay in UK after graduations because there's practically no real work in the UK.

these students have really excellent A level results. 3, 4 and even 5A*. many of them are not on this forum i can assure you. what im saying is that open your heart your mind and your eyes and allow these people below to inspire you. and do your best now till the exams. give your best and then see what happens in the end.

Original post by Jasaron
The LSE do not see your LNAT, at all. They wouldn't ask you for your LNAT results. There is no option to send them your LNAT results.

That being said, there is some truth in what you're saying. There will generally be an LNAT score they (actual LNAT unis) think is adequate, and it's easy for them to reject anybody below that. However, it's also worth considering the role that GCSEs and (now, perhaps to a lesser extent) AS results play. I'm sure somebody who achieved 24 in a year where 26 was the average, but achieved 13A*s at a poor state school would be in for a chance when it comes to getting an offer.

I made it clear in one of my posts that i used LSE as an example because i don't want to mention the uni that rejected me in case the admission tutor or someone alerts them about this post.

the example you give is very heart moving at best but in practical terms, it is not practical. Perhaps there will be exceptions made but those cases will number few and far between. There are only a few admissions tutors or staff at most unis who have to sieve through thousands of applications and number of applicants may be high especially for the more prestigious/oversubscribed unis and/or courses. The LNAT acts as a filter. So once applicants with low LNAT scores will be removed from the list only then can the admissions team start giving out conditional offers. Students who don't meet the offer or miss it by a mile, subject to admission tutors discretion, may lose these offers.

I want to tell you about this famous forum member who was chided on here because he/she revealed the possibility that oxbridge has a computer system which filters applicants by their GCSE and A level grades. He/she said that this was the only way students were being selected for offers. Many people here slammed him/her and that person has since stopped logging onto here or perhaps started using a clone. but it was indeed revealed by newspapers online that there was indeed a computer system that filters out students by their grades. the links were then provided on this forum and the naysayers completely disappeared. pretty much the same as all those people who kept saying that brexit would never happen :wink: where are they now?

I've observed this forum for a long time and i have seen many people dish out all sorts of really bad advice. for example i've seen GDL students on the law section give wrong advise to legal questions to law students who're following a proper 3 year LLB degree at uni. (GDL is a crash/conversion course where people with a first degree will cramp in many subjects over 1 to 2 years depending on choice of full or part time to qualify as a barrister or solicitor.) the fact that they have to cramp in so many subjects in a year or 2 surely gives it away that these students won't fully appreciate/studied the law content and won't be able to advise on contention legal issues. as such their advise should be taken with pinch of salt. You need to understand that many law students simply go to uni, ask their friends in the 2nd or 3rd year to provide them with answer structures and they will simply memorize the answers and regurgitate it in the exams.

so this was just one of the reason why i created an account to share my opinions of what i know and believe to be true. you don't have to believe me but come end January 2017, you will see many students who will reveal their LNAT scores, their grades records, the unis that rejected them and then you can formulate your own opinions. I hope by then you will have the decency to quote me and apologise to me. if you don't then its fine. i don't expect you to do so anyway.
LSE has sent out emails for those who passed the first round (and were sent emails about initial review on 10/10)

Latest

Trending

Trending