The Student Room Group

Should the government increase or decrease welfare spending?

Poll

Should we increase or decrease welfare spending?

Do you feel that we need to reduce or increase the amount we spend on Jobseeker's Alowance, Income support, Universal Credit, council housing, housing benefits?
Original post by Ladbants
Do you feel that we need to reduce or increase the amount we spend on Jobseeker's Alowance, Income support, Universal Credit, council housing, housing benefits?

We need to invest more in welfare to eliminate poverty and homelessness. Welfare sanctions need to be abolished and made fairer.
Channel five needs to stop their obsessive crap showing TV shows about benefits.
Simply stating whether welfare should increase or decrease is not a solution to such a complex problem. Instead, the focus should be on creating opportunities for people to find work and become independent.
Generally I'm in favour of decrease but not at any cost. I do think that child benefit should only be provided for the first two children (I wouldn't take it away from those who have it currently however) and I also believe that tax credits should be phased out as they enable private businesses to underpay staff.

I would be in favour of people having to work for their benefits if they are long term unemployed (6 months or longer). This would be as long as the hours are part time rather than full time though, so the individual can still find a job.

However, I do think that in the future we probably will have to adopt a Universal Basic Income policy but only when automation really kicks in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending