TMUA Preparation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is anyone else on here sitting the TMUA (Test for Mathematics Unviersity Admissions). Durham, Lancaster and LSE will all be using it for 2017 entry.

I quite like the style of the test, especially the second paper. How is everyone preparing for it? Anything besides working on the Specimen Paper?

‘Please do not discuss the test until the start of December. There are people still due to take it.’

What you can and can't discuss about this exam
    Spoiler:
    Show

Admissions Testing Service exams (used by the University of Oxford, Imperial College London and some Medical schools) are international exams. As a result, some candidates in one country may have already completed an exam that hasn't yet started elsewhere.

BMAT (BioMedical Admissions Test)
    CAT (Classics Admissions Test)
    ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test)
    HAT (History Aptitude Test)[*]MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test)
    MLAT (Modern Languages Admissions Test)
    OLAT (Oriental Languages Aptitude Test)
    PAT (Physics Aptitude Test)
    TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment)
    TMUA (Test of Mathematics for University Admission) - No discussion until start of December

Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional exam answers or mark schemes.

This, however, does not mean all discussion about these exams will be restricted: it's okay to talk about having just sat the exam, or whether or not you found it difficult.

What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another. For example
    "I found it hard"
    "I found question 2 hard"
    "I found question 2 about <insert subject> hard"

These restrictions will be in place from 09:00 GMT on Wednesday 2 November until 17:00 GMT on Thursday 3 November. In the interests of yourselves and your fellow students, and in the interest of maintaining the fairness of the exam, please avoid discussion as outlined above during this timeframe.

PLEASE NOTE: this rule applies to any form of discussion, including, but not limited to, PMs (Private Messages).

If you see anyone breaking these rules, please report them by using the report button. Good luck to everyone sitting these exams!

The Student Room Community Team on behalf of The Admissions Testing Service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammygmfc)
    Hi,

Is anyone else on here sitting the TMUA (Test for Mathematics Unviersity Admissions). Durham, Lancaster and LSE will all be using it for 2017 entry.

I quite like the style of the test, especially the second paper. How is everyone preparing for it? Anything besides working on the Specimen Paper?
    Tbh I am pretty chilled about it. I have done some MAT papers to prep for it and some maths challenge. I recently did the specimen papers and got 37/40 over the two papers so I am happy atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)
    Tbh I am pretty chilled about it. I have done some MAT papers to prep for it and some maths challenge. I recently did the specimen papers and got 37/40 over the two papers so I am happy atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was that in timed conditions? Dont mean to be rude haha just want to know where i stand compared to everyone else considering theres no grades or grade boundaries??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superdrift987)
    Was that in timed conditions? Dont mean to be rude haha just want to know where i stand compared to everyone else considering theres no grades or grade boundaries??
    Timed conditions. How did you do XD?

ReputationRep:
    Timed conditions. How did you do XD?
    Ive only done the first specimen paper and got 7 out of 20 but i ended spending more time on the earlier questions and wasting time tbf. I think though it tests to see if you can see shortcuts almost and your intuition.

ReputationRep:
    Ive only done the first specimen paper and got 7 out of 20 but i ended spending more time on the earlier questions and wasting time tbf. I think though it tests to see if you can see shortcuts almost and your intuition.
    Have you looked at the enhanced specification? I found it particularly useful for paper 2.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the enhanced specification? I found it particularly useful for paper 2.
    I have had a quick look but not had chance to properly read through it yet. What i did read though was interesting. What did you study at as and your grades too if thats alright??

ReputationRep:
    I have had a quick look but not had chance to properly read through it yet. What i did read though was interesting. What did you study at as and your grades too if thats alright??
    Sorry for late reply - was doing maths .
    AS Grades: AAAAA (Maths[98%], Further Maths[98%], Physics, Chemistry and Electronics[99%]) and did (M2, M3 and M4 on top of this)
    Predicted at A2: A*A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for late reply - was doing maths .
    AS Grades: AAAAA (Maths[98%], Further Maths[98%], Physics, Chemistry and Electronics[99%]) and did (M2, M3 and M4 on top of this)
    Predicted at A2: A*A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics)
    Nice man thats awesome haha explains how you did so well!!

ReputationRep:
    crying with laughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardhello)
    crying with laughter
    Just giving out advice...

ReputationRep:
    Just giving out advice...
    A zombie army of spec babies

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey I was wondering if you could help me with q19 on paper 1? I can't get it and would appreciate any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmckinley039)
    Hey I was wondering if you could help me with q19 on paper 1? I can't get it and would appreciate any help
    We know that u_{1}=4, \enspace u_{2} = 4r \enspace \text{and} \enspace u_{4}=4r^{3}. And that, as they form an arithmetic series, 4r^{3}-4r=4r-4. Hence we obtain the equation r^{3}-2r+1=0.

Now, r=1 is a trivial solution to this cubic. Then we obtain r^{3}-2r+1=(r-1)(r^{2}+r-1)=0

Solving for r gives r=\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}

Subbing this into S_{\infty}=\frac{4}{1-r} gives S_{\infty}=2(3+\sqrt{5}).

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    We know that u_{1}=4, \enspace u_{2} = 4r \enspace \text{and} \enspace u_{4}=4r^{3}. And that, as they form an arithmetic series, 4r^{3}-4r=4r-4. Hence we obtain the equation r^{3}-2r+1=0.

Now, r=1 is a trivial solution to this cubic. Then we obtain r^{3}-2r+1=(r-1)(r^{2}+r-1)=0

Solving for r gives r=\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}

Subbing this into S_{\infty}=\frac{4}{1-r} gives S_{\infty}=2(3+\sqrt{5}).

Hope this helps
    It really does Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmckinley039)
    It really does Thank you so much!
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was just wondering if you could help with question 18 of paper 1.
    Would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard999)
    Hey I was just wondering if you could help with question 18 of paper 1.
    (Original post by wizard999)
    Would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Hey
    Hope this helps and it's not all gibberish

So first I looked at the tan equation

I sketched a graph and found that this is satisfied when

However as the range is
    the interval where tanx is less than 1 is when
    so the length of that interval is simply

Then I looked at

this occurs when (30 degrees) therefore

Now all you have to do is find the area where both of these equations are satisfied which will be the interval between and
    If it helps draw these points onto one of the sketched graphs like sine and you'll be able to see the interval you need to find.

And finally

ReputationRep:
    What about question 20 from paper 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammygmfc)
    Hi,

I haven't done no where near half as much as I have wanted to. Didn't know TSR peeps would be doing this since it's always MAT hype.
    I'm using it for Durham but I prefer Lancaster now.
    Basically read the spec....

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.