The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh College of Art 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi there,
Im so happy I found this forum because this is something that I have been really confused about. Your explanation helped but I hope you might be able to answer one more question.

Am I meant to upload images of my influences work? Im going to use Van Gogh as a basic example. If i paint landscapes and take inspiration from his work then do I post my landscape and explain why and how Van Gogh inspired it or do I post a landscape of Van Goghs? Should I be creating a collage of images that show my work next to my inspirations work? Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Original post by kalase
Hi there,
Im so happy I found this forum because this is something that I have been really confused about. Your explanation helped but I hope you might be able to answer one more question.

Am I meant to upload images of my influences work? Im going to use Van Gogh as a basic example. If i paint landscapes and take inspiration from his work then do I post my landscape and explain why and how Van Gogh inspired it or do I post a landscape of Van Goghs? Should I be creating a collage of images that show my work next to my inspirations work? Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you!

I applied last year and am now in 1st year. I applied to Fashion so I used images that influenced my work. So 1 was a really interesting angled building in London that I snapped whilst on the bus. Another was a garment designed by a fashion designer. I used individual images in each upload. BUT I did make upsides that had say 2 or 3 images combined into 1 slide and uploaded that as 1 image. The best advice I can give is to make sure your work tell wee 'stories' through each project. Best of luck!
Reply 22
Original post by EdgyGem
I applied last year and am now in 1st year. I applied to Fashion so I used images that influenced my work. So 1 was a really interesting angled building in London that I snapped whilst on the bus. Another was a garment designed by a fashion designer. I used individual images in each upload. BUT I did make upsides that had say 2 or 3 images combined into 1 slide and uploaded that as 1 image. The best advice I can give is to make sure your work tell wee 'stories' through each project. Best of luck!

Thanks so much! Congrats on getting in~
Reply 23
Original post by kalase
Thanks so much! Congrats on getting in~

thanks and best of luck!
Has anybody had trouble with uploading images onto the mini portfolio? When I try to re-size my images so that one side is 800 pixels, the quality goes awful. Anybody else experienced this?
Reply 25
Original post by veronicasawyer
Has anybody had trouble with uploading images onto the mini portfolio? When I try to re-size my images so that one side is 800 pixels, the quality goes awful. Anybody else experienced this?

Yeah 800 px is bad quality its always like that
Reply 26

Whats your dpi on them? I had mine at 72 res. and that was okay. But same, my pics weren't great at that size. Pretty frustrating.
I think it's because they have so many folios to go through they can't wait on slides to load with high resolution :/ my slides were also not the clearest
Reply 28
Original post by Nysm1501
I think it's because they have so many folios to go through they can't wait on slides to load with high resolution :/ my slides were also not the clearest

I had the exact same problem with the resolution. Some tech savvy lot managaed to do it themselves and crystal clear using a resizing app.Mine was a fail. So I took my images along to a company and had them sized as per each slide. Mine was complicated in so far as I had 4 images on 1 slide. Cost me 150..
Oh okay, so at least I'm not the only one. It's just confusing because on their website it says that poor quality images won't leave a good impression.. but it can't be helped? Hopefully they mean poorly taken images e.g. bad lighting and angles
Reply 30
Yeah the 800 x 800 pixels is a smaller size to work with compared to Glasgow, which meant some of my images were a lesser quality than others. I just hope I will get to go up and let them see my work in person rather than just on a screen.
Original post by Sandaval
Yeah the 800 x 800 pixels is a smaller size to work with compared to Glasgow, which meant some of my images were a lesser quality than others. I just hope I will get to go up and let them see my work in person rather than just on a screen.

Yeah me too. Last year my friend applied to 2nd year entry and got an offer without being invited to an applicant day. If that could happen to me that would be perfect
If anybody is applying to art/fine art/sculpture/painting/intermedia and wants to trade portfolios via private message then message me :smile:
Reply 33
Yeah me too. Last year my friend applied to 2nd year entry and got an offer without being invited to an applicant day. If that could happen to me that would be perfect

Really, that would be great if it happened to me as well! Though I would not mind going up to have a look at the place as I never had a chance to go to any open days. When did they find out if they had a place? What course are you wanting to do?
Original post by Sandaval
Really, that would be great if it happened to me as well! Though I would not mind going up to have a look at the place as I never had a chance to go to any open days. When did they find out if they had a place? What course are you wanting to do?

Are you a UK student? The uni is amaaaazing I completely fell in love with it. Not sure when she got the offer. I've applied for sculpture second year entry, but wish I had applied to fine art too :frown: getting really worried that I won't get in. What have you applied for?
Reply 35
Are you a UK student? The uni is amaaaazing I completely fell in love with it. Not sure when she got the offer. I've applied for sculpture second year entry, but wish I had applied to fine art too :frown: getting really worried that I won't get in. What have you applied for?

Yeah I live in Scotland, though I know I prefer Edinburgh compared with Glasgow as a city, just from being in each city a few times. I have applied for illustration and painting second year, though I think I am wanting to do illustration if I get a place. I hope it turns out well for you and good luck! :smile:
How has everybody structured their portfolios?
How has everybody structured their portfolios?

I done mine through projects, so I would put my development work in order of 1 project in the development slides and then I'd put the resolved idea from that project in resolved, and so on. I also had some workshop work I put in
I know it's early to ask, but does anybody know when we're expecting to hear back? For 2nd Year entry
The applicant days for 2nd year entry I think are 9-13 march, so I'd say end of February.

Quick Reply

Latest