The Student Room Group

Is it too late to drop out of A-Levels?

Hi all,

I've recently been struggling incredibly with the sheer workload that has come about from taking A-Levels. I feel like it's just too much for me to handle and I don't want to continue if the outcome of my exams will be awful results. I also feel like the workload of apprenticeships will be similar to that of A-Levels, making the choice even more difficult.

I don't claim to be a straight-A student. At GCSE, I got 1 A*, 2 A's, 6 B's and 3 C's. I feel like I don't have the intellect to learn everything and it's just going to let everyone I know down when I find out I can't get into university, which is the only reason I stayed at college.

To summarize, I have two questions;
1. Is it too late for me to drop out of A-Levels?
2. Is the workload of an apprenticeship going to be the same as A-Levels?

Also, I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Biology and IT as my options.

Thanks everyone in advanced.
An apprenticeship and a levels are totally different. A levels are meant to be the hardest academic time of someone's life, so I've heard and having experience them don't disagree.
It isn't too late to drop out, no.
Original post by Insp1r3
Hi all,

I've recently been struggling incredibly with the sheer workload that has come about from taking A-Levels. I feel like it's just too much for me to handle and I don't want to continue if the outcome of my exams will be awful results. I also feel like the workload of apprenticeships will be similar to that of A-Levels, making the choice even more difficult.

I don't claim to be a straight-A student. At GCSE, I got 1 A*, 2 A's, 6 B's and 3 C's. I feel like I don't have the intellect to learn everything and it's just going to let everyone I know down when I find out I can't get into university, which is the only reason I stayed at college.

To summarize, I have two questions;
1. Is it too late for me to drop out of A-Levels?
2. Is the workload of an apprenticeship going to be the same as A-Levels?

Also, I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Biology and IT as my options.

Thanks everyone in advanced.

1. No.
2. One is work based and more practical, the other is academic..

Talk with your teachers, your parents and anyone else you trust. Make sure you understand why you cant cope.

You cna always do A levels later or get to Uni via an access course.
Its smart not to take and fail A levels if you realise you arent up to them.
Its smart not to drift into Uni when you dont know its what you wnat to do.
By preserving funding then you keep your options open.
You could also look into dropping an A-level you struggle in. I dropped Physics (which I really struggled in), it greatly reduced my workload, allowed me to spend more time on my other subjects and make me feel a lot less stressed :biggrin:. Of course, if you feel that A-levels aren't right for you, it's definitely not too late to look into apprenticeships.

Quick Reply

Latest