The Student Room Group

LSE Anthropology and Law - with my Predictions?

Hi guys, Anth and Law at LSE requires AAB, and my predictions will be A*BB/ABB
do you think it is worth trying?
i've asked people who do the course at LSE if my Personal Statement is good enough and they all agree it is, so do you think it is worth applying?
My actual AS grades were ABC (C was 2 marks off a B)
My P.S. is very strong

Thanks so much :smile:
It's worth a shot, but make sure you have good backups.

In my experience, while the Law and Anthropology course is not as oversubscribed as the straight Law course at the LSE, a lot of the people I know who did that course while I was there had initially applied for straight Law and were offered Law & Anthropology instead. There is a tendency to offer Law and Anthropology to straight Law applicants whose applications were not strong enough for straight Law for one reason or another. I should add that I don't know how true that is across the board nor am I well-versed in the general academic strength of the students who apply for and are accepted to the Law and Anthropology course.
Hi, I'm applying for Law this year too, I was originally going to apply for Anthropology and Law at LSE as well but I was told by my school mentor that my personal statement didn't touch the Anthropology side as much as it did for Law, so i changed it. Just wondering, does your personal statement mention Anthropology and Law in equal measure? Or are you in a similar position as me where it's entirely Law based, because I'm considering to change one of my options back to Anth & Law if its possible to get in with out mentioning Anthropology as much.
Original post by student1738999
Hi, I'm applying for Law this year too, I was originally going to apply for Anthropology and Law at LSE as well but I was told by my school mentor that my personal statement didn't touch the Anthropology side as much as it did for Law, so i changed it. Just wondering, does your personal statement mention Anthropology and Law in equal measure? Or are you in a similar position as me where it's entirely Law based, because I'm considering to change one of my options back to Anth & Law if its possible to get in with out mentioning Anthropology as much.

LSE themselves say you need to discuss both subjects equally in your PS.

Hey yeah, mine has anthropology running through it equally, i travelled to Zambia to study their cultures and how they differ from ours (legally) so write a paragraph about that, and I have other anthropological aspects to my PS so id say its equally anthropology tbh.
Do you think its worth me applying to the AAB course with an ABB prediction (maybe A*BB)?
My personal statement focusses a lot on human rights and a lot of extra curricular stuff I done regarding them, although I don't know whether that will be enough to satisfy an anthropologist, so I'm unsure on whether to apply. Regarding your predicteds, I think you might have a nice shot given your experience and desire to study it, they may overlook your predicteds given that it's not as competitive. I have a friend who got offers from Warwick and Manchester for history predicted AAB when they wanted AAA. But then again this is LSE. My main point being that it's not impossible.
My personal statement focusses a lot on human rights and a lot of extra curricular stuff I done regarding them, although I don't know whether that will be enough to satisfy an anthropologist, so I'm unsure on whether to apply. Regarding your predicteds, I think you might have a nice shot given your experience and desire to study it, they may overlook your predicteds given that it's not as competitive. I have a friend who got offers from Warwick and Manchester for history predicted AAB when they wanted AAA. But then again this is LSE. My main point being that it's not impossible.

I just sent off my application on Friday haha and decided to apply
I read that the personal is read by a admissions tutor from anthropology and law - and they need to accepted by both :frown: tough ahaha
So i made my PS had an equal split aha
Reply 7
I don't know what to do about my personal statement. I'm applying for law except for LSE which is anthropology and law; I mentioned about cultures and societies in one paragraph but i haven't mentioned anthropology explicitly? I called the admissions lady a while ago and she said I should apply for anthropology &law then switch to law so...
But if both anthropology and law tutors look at it, hopefully they may consider me for the law course instead? I'm not sure
Reply 8
has anyone got offers yet?
Reply 9
Got rejected from the straight law course , was sent an email to say that I passed the first round of the admissions process for law and anthropology. How hard do you think it is to switch to law once accepted for law and anthropology?? I got AAAB aa in my A-levels .
Reply 10
Original post by RJ29
Got rejected from the straight law course , was sent an email to say that I passed the first round of the admissions process for law and anthropology. How hard do you think it is to switch to law once accepted for law and anthropology?? I got AAAB aa in my A-levels .

Did you apply for both straight law and law and anthropology? And if you don't mind, what time did you receive the email?
Reply 11
Original post by Heheboy
Did you apply for both straight law and law and anthropology? And if you don't mind, what time did you receive the email?

Yes I applied for both courses. Got the rejection two weeks ago and the other one last week.
Reply 12
Original post by RJ29
Yes I applied for both courses. Got the rejection two weeks ago and the other one last week.

have you heard from lse about the anthropology with law course yet?
Just got rejected from Anthropology and Law after passing initial review.

It was a fair decision on LSE's part I guess, because I only had one sentence about anthropology in my entire personal statement and, surprise surprise, it was the reason they gave me my rejection.
Reply 14
Original post by Kitkat5
have you heard from lse about the anthropology with law course yet?

I havent heard from them yet.
Reply 15
Original post by Helene0726
Just got rejected from Anthropology and Law after passing initial review.

It was a fair decision on LSE's part I guess, because I only had one sentence about anthropology in my entire personal statement and, surprise surprise, it was the reason they gave me my rejection.

Sorry to hear that .

What were your A-level results ?

What exactly did they say in the rejection email?

Where else have you applied to?

My first choice is the Law and Anthropology course at LSE. I have more than the required grades however my personal statement only contains roughly three sentences regarding Anthropology.The cause of your rejection has made me quite nervous and I'm beginning to doubt if I'll get in or not .

Hope everything works out for you .
Original post by RJ29
Sorry to hear that .

What were your A-level results ?

What exactly did they say in the rejection email?

Where else have you applied to?

My first choice is the Law and Anthropology course at LSE. I have more than the required grades however my personal statement only contains roughly three sentences regarding Anthropology.The cause of your rejection has made me quite nervous and I'm beginning to doubt if I'll get in or not .

Hope everything works out for you .

Hey :smile:

I don't actually do A-levels since I'm an international applicant, but:
IGCSE scores: 7 A*s, 2 As and 1B (for art XD)
IB: 39 or 40 out of 42 (without the 3 bonus points)

They said: "When compared to the personal statements of similar applicants, your personal statement did not demonstrate sufficient interest in all of the subjects of the combined programme to which you have applied."

I've also applied to UCL and Kings (yes, I didn't fill in all 5 because I applied to the U.S. as well) and have gotten an interview invitation for UCL- we'll see if I actually get in :biggrin:

And don't worry, 3 sentences is better than 1! Also, when i DID talk about Anthropology, it was only 'a result' of my interest in linguistics. I talked about how I did an undergraduate-level research program on anthropology, but I only talked about the course content that concerned linguistic anthropology, which was, admittedly, far from enough :smile: You should be fine

Can't wait to hear about your admissions decision!
Original post by Helene0726
Hey :smile:

I don't actually do A-levels since I'm an international applicant, but:
IGCSE scores: 7 A*s, 2 As and 1B (for art XD)
IB: 39 or 40 out of 42 (without the 3 bonus points)

They said: "When compared to the personal statements of similar applicants, your personal statement did not demonstrate sufficient interest in all of the subjects of the combined programme to which you have applied."

I've also applied to UCL and Kings (yes, I didn't fill in all 5 because I applied to the U.S. as well) and have gotten an interview invitation for UCL- we'll see if I actually get in :biggrin:

And don't worry, 3 sentences is better than 1! Also, when i DID talk about Anthropology, it was only 'a result' of my interest in linguistics. I talked about how I did an undergraduate-level research program on anthropology, but I only talked about the course content that concerned linguistic anthropology, which was, admittedly, far from enough :smile: You should be fine

Can't wait to hear about your admissions decision!

Hey, I'm an int student that also applied for law at UCL. Are we meant to be invited to an interview? I haven't received anything..
Original post by RJ29

Did you receive an offer for Anthropology and Law at the end?

Quick Reply