what exactly is a 'mickey mouse' degree?

Watch
Petit chou
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Would u consider Criminological and Forensic Psychology a Mickey Mouse subject?

TBF not every1 wants to enter the world of law or maths or science cos if every1 did do those degrees who would make TV shows, films, act, write news papers etc.

My sister did a degree in business law its now been about 3 years since she graduated and she has still yet to get into a well paid job so no Law degrees aren't the best degrees in the world.

People need to get off their high horse and stop being so snobby, just because u can't see whats great about certain courses doesn't mean they're not good it just shows that u have also been dragged up to believe that only traditional courses are the best. Traditional courses are seen by people as being harder but thats because most so called "Mickey mouse degrees" are new and need to earn their respect like traditional courses had to do.
tehjonny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by psycho-bunny)
any degree that involves psychology
Do you actually know anything about the subject or are you just chatting out of your sphincter, YET AGAIN?
tehjonny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lilac spooge)
Firstly economics and maths are different subjects...I have a friend who is expected to get a A at Alevel in maths but is going on to take economics...

Economics is a degree for human geographers who like a bit more of a mathmatical challenge...

and for the psycholgy argument...its a waste of time...theres to many people taking it for you to get a job and employers dont take it seriously enough as a degree if you want to try another type of undergrad job...

and the only way to get a job from it is to go into medicine first...yes that means 9years of university....have fun...

im sorry about my spelling....
Or going on to get a placement in a mental health institution/hospital, or a Phd, or taking post-grad course in Neuroscience, or becoming a TA. Psychiatry is not the only application of psychology. I believe you're one of the 'degree snobs' who talks alot of crap about subjects whilst understanding pretty mucn nothing about them.

Though I agree many people who do psychology will do nothing with the degree. I happily, shall not be one of them :p:. But you could apply that to any degree. I now a guy who did Biology...and now he works in an office. Granted he is probably on a higher wage because he has a degree...but he isn't exactly applying the discipline he spent 4yrs studying is he?
lilac spooge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tehjonny)
Or going on to get a placement in a mental health institution/hospital, or a Phd, or taking post-grad course in Neuroscience, or becoming a TA. Psychiatry is not the only application of psychology. I believe you're one of the 'degree snobs' who talks alot of crap about subjects whilst understanding pretty mucn nothing about them.

Though I agree many people who do psychology will do nothing with the degree. I happily, shall not be one of them :p:. But you could apply that to any degree. I now a guy who did Biology...and now he works in an office. Granted he is probably on a higher wage because he has a degree...but he isn't exactly applying the discipline he spent 4yrs studying is he?

i take human geography...now aparently thats a doss subject....
Tufts
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lou76854)

My sister did a degree in business law its now been about 3 years since she graduated and she has still yet to get into a well paid job so no Law degrees aren't the best degrees in the world.
A degree in business law? How long was the degree? Which uni? Was it an LLB? What grade did she get?
Esure
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
A mickey mouse degree is basically just a degree that is useless in the real world but is easy to get a good mark in. Well imo anyway. I would label these as mickey mouse degrees

Anything media/film/photography
Psycology
English
Art
Sports

etc
TotalImmortal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Esure)
A mickey mouse degree is basically just a degree that is useless in the real world but is easy to get a good mark in. Well imo anyway. I would label these as mickey mouse degrees

Psycology
English
Art
Sports
etc
Strongly disagree with some of your choices there.

English 'easy' to get a good mark in? You can't even spell psychology correctly.
Tagit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What do you do with your English degree once you get it?
Esure
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TotalImmortal)
Strongly disagree with some of your choices there.

English 'easy' to get a good mark in? You can't even spell psychology correctly.
Oops I spelt 1 word wrong, I get a B . Pressing F7 can easily fix that.
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Esure)

Psycology
English
Art
Sports

etc
the labelling of micky mouse degree is VERY loose then, english is very well respected at degree level and im pretty sure that psychology is too (not to mention very competative)
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lets face it, all the people who diss other degrees are simply partaking in an 'academic ****-size competition'. :p:
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tagit)
What do you do with your English degree once you get it?
err...almost anything?

same goes for most of the degrees - what do you do with a maths degree? what do you do with a science degree (dont say scientist lol)?
Tufts
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Esure)

Psycology
English
Art
Sports

etc
How is psychology useless if you want to be a psychologist?
made_of_fail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Psycology
English
Art
Sports

etc
yeah, all you have to do is read a bunch of books. nothing to it.
s.e.r.e.n.e
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The sciences and engineering (those that are considered as hard-core) are definitely not mickey mouse. Computer Science is definitely not Mickey Mouse.
tehjonny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Esure)

Psycology
English
Art
Sports

etc
Psychology 'useless in the real world'. This would be the same 'real world' with a dire lack of mental health professionals, behavioural/neuro scientists? The 'real world' that has next to no understanding of human cognition?

I'm afraid your choices say far more about you than the thousands who study them :p:.
avalanche
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Someone explain how is psychology a mickey mouse degree? Admitted most people who take it don't become psychologists but what about if you want to become one? Is it not the only way to become a psychologist? Do we not need psychologists?

Also look at sports science, most would say that this is useless but then how does one become a P.E teacher? They need this degree.

Not sure about media studies or business though they are not needed.
tehjonny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by avalanche)
Someone explain how is psychology a mickey mouse degree? Admitted most people who take it don't become psychologists but what about if you want to become one? Is it not the only way to become a psychologist? Do we not need psychologists?

Also look at sports science, most would say that this is useless but then how does one become a P.E teacher? They need this degree.

Not sure about media studies or business though they are not needed.
Psychology is usually labelled 'mickey mouse' because those that study so called 'hard' sciences have forgotten (seemingly) that all sciences have a development period, which Psychology is certainly still in :p:. It is far less defined then it shall one day be, and many take this as indicating it to be 'soft'. At least that is my take on the matter.

Also, alot of people think psychoanalysis and Freud when they hear Psychology...which are (one and the work of the other) admitedly absolute garbage :p:.
lone_rider2007
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Disney studies??
lilac spooge
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
From what people have been saying...a mickey mouse degree is anything that emoplyers of another brand of work (away from your degree) will not look foundly on...

for example...M&S will probably not look to foundly on employing someone with equine studies. thus this is a mickey mouse degree

However if they want to go in to horse care or stable management then an eqine degree is perfect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
15.1%
I'm not sure (16)
3.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.64%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46%

Watched Threads