Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanananabatman)
    Hang about, I'm getting a little confused - so Mickey Mouse degrees now include "vocational" subjects?

You do know these days that one needs work experience as well as a degree?
    Mickey Mouse degrees are ones that are not an intellectual challenge basically. They include some vocational subjects, and a few "academic" ones i believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanananabatman)
    Hang about, I'm getting a little confused - so Mickey Mouse degrees now include "vocational" subjects?

You do know these days that one needs work experience as well as a degree?
    That's what people say yep, vocational degrees are 'easy' apparently. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd class them as getting a degree just for the sake of 'getting a degree', even if the subject is pretty much worthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foobso)
    I'd class them as getting a degree just for the sake of 'getting a degree', even if the subject is pretty much worthless.
    But every degree is worthwhile for something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    That's exactly my point. People think 'a degree' is a passport to success, but sometimes it's better to get a job after A Levels and work your way up. My cousin did some sort of art degree, and is now in her fourth year of being unable to find work. It's not the end of the world if you don't go to uni, there are still options open, but I think people think they're worthless if they haven't been to uni.

ReputationRep:
    But does it have sufficient worth to be a degree. Yes everything has value, but it depends what value you place on it, and ultimately an employer that counts. I always thought it was a matter of meeting a certain level of intellectual challenge and gaining something that would qualify you to rise above the average employee within an organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK89)
    But does it have sufficient worth to be a degree. Yes everything has value, but it depends what value you place on it, and ultimately an employer that counts. I always thought it was a matter of meeting a certain level of intellectual challenge and gaining something that would qualify you to rise above the average employee within an organisation.

But personally I'd say every degree requires the same amount of challenge to get a 1st; that's why you have different grades of degree, to seperate those who jump in for an easy degree, and those who really work on it.

ReputationRep:
    It's only straight after leaving Uni that your degree subject matters. After a while of having actual relevant work experience. they don't even ask what the degree is in. Because it doesn't matter.

And Foobso, if your cousin can't get a job after 4 years, then she really is just not trying. Or, she thinks that a degree is an automatic passport to a good job, which turns off employers faster than anything. And this applies to all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    here is a list of all current mickey mouse degrees available. While mickey mouse himself may not lecture for your subject, he does partake in college events including graduation, along with Minni, Pluto, Donald, and many other cast members (see the Photos Section on the left).

http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap...rs/majors.html

the sad thing is i actually felt the need to find that... damn i should go to bed
    I really wasn't expecting that, lol.

ReputationRep:
    But personally I'd say every degree requires the same amount of challenge to get a 1st
    it doesn't though.
    even if you take the same subject but at different universities the challenge is far from identical, never mind comparing differing subjects as well.

ReputationRep:
    But personally I'd say every degree requires the same amount of challenge to get a 1st; that's why you have different grades of degree, to seperate those who jump in for an easy degree, and those who really work on it.
    Its not the amount of challenge, its the type of challenge. There is quite a gap between the intellectual ability required to get an economics degree compared with a maths one. But you would probably have to work harder to get an economics degree as opposed to a maths one in terms of learning things. Degree courses are certainly not equal in terms of the challenges in each one, otherwise there would be no pecking order among universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK89)
    Its not the amount of challenge, its the type of challenge. There is quite a gap between the intellectual ability required to get an economics degree compared with a maths one. But you would probably have to work harder to get an economics degree as opposed to a maths one in terms of learning things. Degree courses are certainly not equal in terms of the challenges in each one, otherwise there would be no pecking order among universities.
    Ah well yeah, the type of challenge definitely varies from course to course lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    And Foobso, if your cousin can't get a job after 4 years, then she really is just not trying. Or, she thinks that a degree is an automatic passport to a good job, which turns off employers faster than anything. And this applies to all subjects.
    It's not the finding a job per say, but finding a job that is 'art related'. Seeing as she hates teaching, she'll probably end up employed somewhere nothing to do with art, and then what would the point have been in that degree. Some just seem pretty useless.

ReputationRep:
    Who'd be stupid enough to get a degree just for the sake of it? £3,070 a year isn't cheap, you know?

ReputationRep:
    It's not the finding a job per say, but finding a job that is 'art related'. Seeing as she hates teaching, she'll probably end up employed somewhere nothing to do with art, and then what would the point have been in that degree. Some just seem pretty useless.

The point would be that she did something that she'd enjoyed, and learnt from it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's what people say yep, vocational degrees are 'easy' apparently.
    ANYONE could take golf course management (a real degree at DMU) and I mean, anyone. Now lets consider....astro-physics, a very small percentile could take this course, you cannot refute this. There are many, many mickey mouse degrees.

ReputationRep:
    The point would be that she did something that she'd enjoyed, and learnt from it. :p:
    You could say that about a hobby though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK89)
    You could say that about a hobby though. :p:
    You could; but it's a bit different learning a hobby to learning something to degree level lol! :p:

ReputationRep:
    art is also considered to be a mickey mouse degree?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psycho-bunny)
    anyone can chuck paint at a canvas or throw-up on a piece of paper, it's not difficult to be an artist
    Exaclty my point...:rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.