Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Deliveroo - new bikers - paycheck

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I have just started my first shift at Deliveroo, a biker told me that the system of wage has changed since a few months, and may be the new bikers will not take adavantage of that work than before..

So, if you have some significant advice or information about the bikers wage I will be very grateful!!

I hope my words and my thought were clear.
    Thank you 😅

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ok Thanks for the advice! I tried to do my best

ReputationRep:
    I've just started riding for Deliveroo and it great pay if you do it at the right time eg evenings. Use my referral code: CE42570 to get a £50 bonus if you sign up to ride for Deliveroo and deliver 20 orders!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurelpey)
    Hi everyone,
    I have just started my first shift at Deliveroo, a biker told me that the system of wage has changed since a few months, and may be the new bikers will not take adavantage of that work than before..
    As I understand it, Deliveroo bikers used to get a wage somewhere above the minimum (£7.25 per hour). They then introduced a system based on the number of deliveries (something like £3.50 per delivery?) which meant that the delivery bikers could end up earning below the minimum wage. There was a recent court judgment ordering them to pay minimum wage to their workers but apparently they are not applying it and they are continuing on the old per-delivery system.

It is highly likely that you would be classed as a 'worker' (not self-employed as your contract likely says) and thus you are not only entitled to £7.25 per hour (and this includes time spent waiting according to a recent tribunal judgment) but you are also entitled to paid holidays (that is, you accumulate 28 days of paid holiday days for each year worked at full-time equivalent).

Keep your payslips and records of the work you did, so when you leave Deliveroo if they didn't pay you your minimum wage and paid holiday entitlements, you can bring a wages owed claim against them in the tribunal (it can actually add up to quite a lot)

So, if you have some significant advice or information about the bikers wage I will be very grateful!!
    Do you have a copy of your contract? It's unlikely it will say "employment contract", it will probably claim you are a self-employed contractor. But they will have provided you a contract of some sort; if you PM me I'll be happy to take a look (I'm an employment law adviser at a law centre)

Edit: I just realised how old this thread is (I see that cammybob12 bumped it up after six months dormant). But for the OP, if Deliveroo hasn't paid you your due (minimum wage and your accrued holiday pay) then you can bring a claim against them if you so wish

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: February 23, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.