The Student Room Group

HM Treasury Policy Analyst Graduate Scheme 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if we're likely to hear back tomorrow? Will they be open?
Original post by 1Ant
What date did you pick and do you know if they wait for all the AC to finish before they make their offers or they make offers shortly after each AC?

they gave no details about how they pick
Attended an AC! They said there were around 2400 applications made, the exercises were tough but know the competencies and you should be fine. They said they should get back to you with a result around 2 weeks after your AC, either a phone call if successful or an email if not.

Good luck everyone who is through to AC.
Original post by melovechias
Attended an AC! They said there were around 2400 applications made, the exercises were tough but know the competencies and you should be fine. They said they should get back to you with a result around 2 weeks after your AC, either a phone call if successful or an email if not.

Good luck everyone who is through to AC.

Just a quick question, regarding the presentation. The email says they give you a topic on the day. Wast the question they gave you a surprise/specific question, or was it broad (effectively "Tell us about 'the topic we told you to prepare'?").

Just so I don't have to stress myself out if they're not going to trick us with the question.
Original post by PrepaidBurner261
Just a quick question, regarding the presentation. The email says they give you a topic on the day. Wast the question they gave you a surprise/specific question, or was it broad (effectively "Tell us about 'the topic we told you to prepare'?":wink:.

Just so I don't have to stress myself out if they're not going to trick us with the question.

I was also wondering what the presentation question was/ how you both went about preparing for the presentation and the written exercise?
Original post by kitkatzap
I was also wondering what the presentation question was/ how you both went about preparing for the presentation and the written exercise?

For the written exercise you cannot really prepare, it is common sense and the comps. 1 hour 15 minutes fly by so timing and planning are most important for me AND follow instructions (seems simple but some people fail to follow clear guidelines and miss the whole point or go in their own creative direction.)

As for the presentation, my only advice is dont over do it, after all 8 mins fly by....the best advice is put yourself into the shoes of the assessors who are on the scheme already and factor this in....obviously I cannot add more detail as that would be unfair on me, others and the whole process. But it will not be something which an educated individual would be dumbfounded by.

I am 70/30 in not getting it (2/3 of the parts were good however....but that one component, plus intrinsic pessismism)....I hope people keep this thread up to date with developments so everyone knows that decisions are being made and the wait doesnt hurt as much....I was also given the two week timeframe and I believe those who are successful would get to know first...and the sad emails will follow for the rest (unless of course youre on hold).
Sat my assessment midweek last week and just got an email saying:

"You did well at the assessment centre and you have met the requirements for the Policy Adviser role.

As mentioned at the assessment centres, we are in the process of finalising intake numbers for our April and September 2017 cohorts. This means that we are not able to make you an offer for a Policy Adviser position at this time. However, you have been placed in a group of candidates who are on hold until we have completed our assessment centres and finalised our graduate intake numbers.

Our assessment centres will finish on 9th February. If you have told us that you can start in April, we will be in contact with you by the end of February to confirm whether we can make a job offer or not. If you have told us that you can start in September, we will be in contact by early May, or sooner if we are able, to confirm this."So fingers crossed till after February 9th for me! Good luck everyone!
Sat my assessment midweek last week and just got an email saying:

"You did well at the assessment centre and you have met the requirements for the Policy Adviser role.

As mentioned at the assessment centres, we are in the process of finalising intake numbers for our April and September 2017 cohorts. This means that we are not able to make you an offer for a Policy Adviser position at this time. However, you have been placed in a group of candidates who are on hold until we have completed our assessment centres and finalised our graduate intake numbers.

Our assessment centres will finish on 9th February. If you have told us that you can start in April, we will be in contact with you by the end of February to confirm whether we can make a job offer or not. If you have told us that you can start in September, we will be in contact by early May, or sooner if we are able, to confirm this."So fingers crossed till after February 9th for me! Good luck everyone!

Yep, received the exact same email; it would be interesting to see if any people have received outright offers/rejections.....I sat mine last Tuesday. Also although the minimum requirements have been met, they still have many more people to see....so it is still no guarantees,,,,although at least we have done welll!

Also which intake are you for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by enterunsername
Yep, received the exact same email; it would be interesting to see if any people have received outright offers/rejections.....I sat mine last Tuesday. Also although the minimum requirements have been met, they still have many more people to see....so it is still no guarantees,,,,although at least we have done welll!

Thanks for posting this everyone and keeping us all updated. Congrats on doing so well!

I'm a bit concerned now because mine isn't till the 8th of Feb so I may have less of a chance unless I really impress them :frown:
The interview panel of 45 mins sounds pretty intimidating, aside from scrubbing up on competencies, any advice?

(Assessment's on the 26th!)

Thanks

Sat mines last Wednesday and for the September intake.
Original post by Jlilypb
Thanks for posting this everyone and keeping us all updated. Congrats on doing so well!

I'm a bit concerned now because mine isn't till the 8th of Feb so I may have less of a chance unless I really impress them :frown:

No dont worry about that! The fact that the email we received stated that no decisions will be made for us until after the last assessment day means you are in no worse position than anyone.

Quite simply a basic level has been set/met by some and if you exceed that great or match it you will be in with a shot. It works both ways and unless Geroge Osborne and Allister Darling decide to go back to basics with a turnout and hit the ceiling or floor with new levels you are in the running.

As for the other comment from numbersradio dont worry (of course depends on the people interviewing) it is not intimidating and it is exactly as described. ie competencies and follow the approach set out in the invitation....and seriously all the parts flow by and you dont get time to catch your breath and think over how you did (surely this is good and deliberate!).
Are the interview questions worded exactly the same as the competencies? Is there one question for each competency or do they combine more than one competency into a question? Thanks!

No dont worry about that! The fact that the email we received stated that no decisions will be made for us until after the last assessment day means you are in no worse position than anyone.

Quite simply a basic level has been set/met by some and if you exceed that great or match it you will be in with a shot. It works both ways and unless Geroge Osborne and Allister Darling decide to go back to basics with a turnout and hit the ceiling or floor with new levels you are in the running.

As for the other comment from numbersradio dont worry (of course depends on the people interviewing) it is not intimidating and it is exactly as described. ie competencies and follow the approach set out in the invitation....and seriously all the parts flow by and you dont get time to catch your breath and think over how you did (surely this is good and deliberate!).
How difficult did you find it? Any tips you can offer? :smile:

Sat mines last Wednesday and for the September intake.
Reply 94
Don't worry! They will literally tell you which competency they are assessing and what makes effective behaviour for this competency!
Reply 95
I attended an assessment centre on Monday and was offered a job today! Bit of dilemma personally as ideally I would like defer so I can do a Master's, but just to say that they seem to be making decisions quite quickly (definitely quicker than 2 weeks!) Good luck to everyone with ACs to come :smile:
Original post by BWCW
I attended an assessment centre on Monday and was offered a job today! Bit of dilemma personally as ideally I would like defer so I can do a Master's, but just to say that they seem to be making decisions quite quickly (definitely quicker than 2 weeks!) Good luck to everyone with ACs to come :smile:

Congratulations!! :smile: its better with quicker answers - less worrying for us haha.
Just wondering if you have any general tips for the day?
Reply 97
Original post by bestfriends33
Congratulations!! :smile: its better with quicker answers - less worrying for us haha.
Just wondering if you have any general tips for the day?

Well, I thought I was done for because I was late and brought the wrong documents... so even if you do that you obviously still have a chance!

Written exercise you can't really prepare for. Make sure to plan before you start writing I suppose? For the presentation, I'd say it's good to have done some research beforehand, not excessive, but maybe a few stats up your sleeve. Try to keep your research broad though, because you get a different question on the day.
Interview I thought was really hard, but know the competencies (they sent an attachment in the email saying which ones they will test), they tell you before each question what they're looking for anyway. Have thought of examples for each one and stick to the STAR structure. Try and explain your answer fully, but don't be disheartened if they push you or keep asking follow up questions, they did with me. Easy to say, but relax and be yourself as much as possible - as much as they're looking for whether you can do the job, I would imagine they're probably sussing out whether you'd be good to work with!

Don't really think any of this is new information, but there you go! Best of luck to everyone still with ACs :smile:
Original post by BWCW
Well, I thought I was done for because I was late and brought the wrong documents... so even if you do that you obviously still have a chance!

Written exercise you can't really prepare for. Make sure to plan before you start writing I suppose? For the presentation, I'd say it's good to have done some research beforehand, not excessive, but maybe a few stats up your sleeve. Try to keep your research broad though, because you get a different question on the day.
Interview I thought was really hard, but know the competencies (they sent an attachment in the email saying which ones they will test), they tell you before each question what they're looking for anyway. Have thought of examples for each one and stick to the STAR structure. Try and explain your answer fully, but don't be disheartened if they push you or keep asking follow up questions, they did with me. Easy to say, but relax and be yourself as much as possible - as much as they're looking for whether you can do the job, I would imagine they're probably sussing out whether you'd be good to work with!

Don't really think any of this is new information, but there you go! Best of luck to everyone still with ACs :smile:

Gongrats, just one question, have you decided whether you are going for the further study route or this, and if the former have you explored whether they will allow a deferral for a year?

Has anyone else heard (whether yes, no or maybe)?
Reply 99
Gongrats, just one question, have you decided whether you are going for the further study route or this, and if the former have you explored whether they will allow a deferral for a year?

Has anyone else heard (whether yes, no or maybe)?

I've decided to go onto further study - they've said they will note me down as a deferral, but can't guarantee there will be a role. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest