Car insurance cancellation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I was a named driver (third) on my Dad's insurance policy. However the insurance company cancelled the car insurance due to a change in circumstances (my Dad changed jobs)

Now I am trying to get car insurance for myself on my own name and have my Mum as a second driver, do I need to notify the insurance company that I have previously had insurance cancelled although I was not the first driver and I barely drove that car?

So confused!

ReputationRep:
    No... unless you're trying to claim no claim bonus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capsule)
    Hi guys, I was a named driver (third) on my Dad's insurance policy. However the insurance company cancelled the car insurance due to a change in circumstances (my Dad changed jobs)

Now I am trying to get car insurance for myself on my own name and have my Mum as a second driver, do I need to notify the insurance company that I have previously had insurance cancelled although I was not the first driver and I barely drove that car?

So confused!
    If it wasn't your policy, you don't need to disclose it; you haven't had a policy cancelled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    If it wasn't your policy, you don't need to disclose it; you haven't had a policy cancelled.
    I agree.
    Your dad had the policy cancelled not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.
    Your dad had the policy cancelled not you.

(Original post by AccountingBabe)
    No... unless you're trying to claim no claim bonus.

Thanks guys! If any of you have tips for getting decent car insurance please tell me. All the quotes I'm getting are ridiculous (£1.8K!) and I'm 22 -__-

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried putting your mum named driver and you unnamed? She's more likely to get lower insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Have you tried putting your mum named driver and you unnamed? She's more likely to get lower insurance.
    It literally says "Now I am trying to get car insurance for myself on my own name and have my Mum as a second driver" in the OP???

ReputationRep:
    Are you even sure that your dad's policy was "cancelled"?

Normally if circumstances change, the company will terminate the policy or use a different term
    When a friend went abroad she cancelled her policy as it was no longer of use.

That isn't what they mean by cancelled. They mean where the insurance company throws you out

But as said, YOU haven't been the holder of a policy that was cancellled

ReputationRep:
    As has been said previously, you have never had car insurance as it was your dad's policy. Consequently, there is nothing to tell a future insurer. Having your mum on your own policy might help to lower the cost a bit, but if you're the main driver the policy will be calculated on this basis.

As I'm sure you know, reversing the roles and having your mum as the main driver and you as a named driver in a n effort to reduce the premium is known as 'fronting' and a serious issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    As has been said previously, you have never had car insurance as it was your dad's policy. Consequently, there is nothing to tell a future insurer. Having your mum on your own policy might help to lower the cost a bit, but if you're the main driver the policy will be calculated on this basis.

As I'm sure you know, reversing the roles and having your mum as the main driver and you as a named driver in a n effort to reduce the premium is known as 'fronting' and a serious issue.
    He quite clearly states that he will be the main driver? So no need for the lecture on fronting

And also, having a parent as an additional driver quite commonly reduces the premium quite substantially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    He quite clearly states that he will be the main driver? So no need for the lecture on fronting

And also, having a parent as an additional driver quite commonly reduces the premium quite substantially.
    Lecture? Sorry, I missed that one...I clearly said 'as I'm sure you know', so I don't really think that counts as a lecture. Anyway, drink your Stolly!

If you're being quoted £1,800 then I'd be interested to see just how much it takes off the premium.

ReputationRep:
    Lecture? Sorry, I missed that one...I clearly said 'as I'm sure you know', so I don't really think that counts as a lecture. Anyway, drink your Stolly!

If you're being quoted £1,800 then I'd be interested to see just how much it takes off the premium.
    Took about £300 off mine, might seem like a small difference to you but speak for yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Took about £300 off mine, might seem like a small difference to you but speak for yourself
    No need to be snarky - I'm being friendly to you.

£300 is a reasonable discount, yes. What makes you think I would think £300 'a small difference'?!

ReputationRep:
    No need to be snarky - I'm being friendly to you.

£300 is a reasonable discount, yes. What makes you think I would think £300 'a small difference'?!
    Didn't meant to come across as snarky sorry

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.