Is A-Level Computing/Computer Science essential?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've come on an intrepid journey, all the way from the GCSE subforum, in order to ask here because it seems to be the most relevant place. I'm thinking of advancing into Computing/Computer Science when I get older, but was worried about making a bad choice now and compromising that opportunity without being aware I'd done so.

I was wondering if an A-Level in specifically computing would be essential to obtain a good place at uni, as my current school, which I'm thinking of staying on at, does not offer Computing at a A-Level. I can consider moving, but am a bit hesitant as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've just checked Cambridge entry requirements, along with a few others.

Only A Level requirements is Mathematics. I have a friend looking to do computer science at uni and he hasn't studied it.

If you are hesitant about moving, don't.

ReputationRep:
    Your best option is Maths and if you can handle it Further Maths. Maths ability is what unis are looking for not computer skills. Anything of value you might learn in Computer Science A level is taught in the first year of the degree - makes the first year easier for you but not for getting into uni.

ReputationRep:
    Computing A Level is a joke. No University requires it; I got in to Oxford without it. In fact, it is almost detrimental to your application as it takes the place of a subject which could be much stronger (like physics or chemistry). For computer science maths and further maths are the most important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caliex)
    Hi! I've come on an intrepid journey, all the way from the GCSE subforum, in order to ask here because it seems to be the most relevant place. I'm thinking of advancing into Computing/Computer Science when I get older, but was worried about making a bad choice now and compromising that opportunity without being aware I'd done so.

I was wondering if an A-Level in specifically computing would be essential to obtain a good place at uni, as my current school, which I'm thinking of staying on at, does not offer Computing at a A-Level. I can consider moving, but am a bit hesitant as it is.
    This is an Oxford response; but I believe that other top universities are similar.

As others have said, most universities do not require Computer Science A Level: I'm not aware of any that does. Mathematics is far more important, and most top universities require it. Further Maths is highly recommended.

Having said that, there have been a lot of improvements to the Computer Science A Level in recent years, and it certainly provides useful background. (I disagree with project_legacy's description of it as a joke; he might be basing that view on the old version.) We like to see candidates with some experience of programming, to have some evidence that they have aptitude for it and enjoy it. This experience can be obtained via the A Level, or via private programming projects.

To answer your specific query: if you're happy at your current school, and the teaching is good, then I suggest you stay there (and try to do some private programming projects).

Gavin

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.