ebook reader vs paperback

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Which would you prefer?

Which do you think is more comfortable to read and more economic?

Does reading ebook reader after prolonged period causes eye strain?

ReputationRep:
    eReaders are both more economic (after a certain number of books) and more convenient. There is a high initial investment, after which the cost per book is significantly lower. On top of that, it's far lighter, can store multiple books, and is more portable, can be read in the dark and less likely to get damaged (paper tears etc). It doesn't cause eyes strain as the letters are not backlit (but there is the option for night reading), it reads like normal paper.

Paperback is still nice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    eReaders are both more economic (after a certain number of books) and more convenient. There is a high initial investment, after which the cost per book is significantly lower. On top of that, it's far lighter, can store multiple books, and is more portable, can be read in the dark and less likely to get damaged (paper tears etc). It doesn't cause eyes strain as the letters are not backlit (but there is the option for night reading), it reads like normal paper.

Paperback is still nice though.
    do u own 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    do u own 1?
    my bruvas gt 1

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the feel of a physical book, yet most of my reading is done on my iPad because it's just more cost and space efficient. I would not be able to read nearly as much as I do if I only had the option of physical books just because I wouldn't be afford it. I've read 37 books this year so far and 12 were physical. Only five of those books did I "own" vs borrowing. One of those five I won in a FaceBook competition. Another I bought just to support my friend's writing career.

Paperback ftw.
    I have etextbooks for school but I'm actually going to buy the paperbacks because they are just more convenient and I feel like I absorb more information if it's physically all in front of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    I prefer the feel of a physical book, yet most of my reading is done on my iPad because it's just more cost and space efficient. I would not be able to read nearly as much as I do if I only had the option of physical books just because I wouldn't be afford it. I've read 37 books this year so far and 12 were physical. Only five of those books did I "own" vs borrowing. One of those five I won in a FaceBook competition. Another I bought just to support my friend's writing career.
    ipad bad for eyes man.

ReputationRep:
    paperback
    They are more convenient as you don't have to rely on battery life, you can annotate them and all sorts stuff which would be much harder on an Ebook.

Plus nothing beats the feeling of browsing books in a bookshop and opening up the cover and using bookmarks, eventually cracking the spine because of how many times you have read/used the book.

ReputationRep:
    I use paperback.

ReputationRep:
    Paperback feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels good

ReputationRep:
    Reading ebooks feels awful compared to a paperback.

:lol: everyone saying paperback.

As a book-lover I prefer hardbacks. No time for cheap, inferior bindings.

But I will read on whatever. Got a Kindle, it's a handy way of reading in bed or when I'm out.

ReputationRep:
    Tried using an ereader, and its fine. Although I do prefer paper back, especially the older ones that have that old book smell

ReputationRep:
    Paperwhite Kindle (backlit) ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    Which would you prefer?

Which do you think is more comfortable to read and more economic?

Does reading ebook reader after prolonged period causes eye strain?
    Tests habve been done, and they reveal that paperbacks are more exciting than ebooks. I agree with the test. I took part in it as well (at my old school).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Paperwhite Kindle (backlit) ftw.
    Same here. I love mine, but I have a lot of books too. I take my kindle on the bus, or reading at night.

ReputationRep:
    I read both.

A kindle is great for portability, you can carry more than you would ever be able to read on a holiday, for example. It is light with a great battery life, plus there are neat features. You can search the dictionary for an unknown word, go to sections of the book where a word appears, stuff like that.

It is also anonymous, no-one knows what you are reading.

As regards cost, it is a no brainer. If you read classics, out of copyright, you can get many of them totally free.

But there is a tactile pleasure to be had from holding a proper book. And you need to turn the pages less than you do on a kindle, at least for the font size you are comfortable with. Plus a good edition of a classic will almost always have explanatory notes. You really miss those on a kindle.

I read military history as well. Illustrations and maps aren't great on a kindle.

Horses for courses, both have their advantages, I would never stick to just the one reading medium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    I read both.

A kindle is great for portability, you can carry more than you would ever be able to read on a holiday, for example. It is light with a great battery life, plus there are neat features. You can search the dictionary for an unknown word, go to sections of the book where a word appears, stuff like that.

It is also anonymous, no-one knows what you are reading.

As regards cost, it is a no brainer. If you read classics, out of copyright, you can get many of them totally free.

But there is a tactile pleasure to be had from holding a proper book. And you need to turn the pages less than you do on a kindle, at least for the font size you are comfortable with. Plus a good edition of a classic will almost always have explanatory notes. You really miss those on a kindle.

I read military history as well. Illustrations and maps aren't great on a kindle.

Horses for courses, both have their advantages, I would never stick to just the one reading medium.
    Yes illustrations, even black & white, are hopeless on the paperwhite.

Still a need (and yes, tactile preference) for real books in some cases

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i love paperback too, but the price puts me off. books are very expensive these days.

ReputationRep:
    I have over 100 paperback books in my room I'm literally running out of places to put them

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.