How to get an A* in A-Level chemistry?

Watch this thread
Oragon
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm really bad at chemistry and I don't know how to revise for it. I got an A in GCSE then did bad in AS. Any revision tips? I find the old spec exams much easier than the new spec exams. I've never sat such a terrible exam! Do you know any good video tutorials for the topics? Any advice would be much appreciated since I need a good chemistry grade to get into the course I want.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Oragon)
Hi everyone,

I'm really bad at chemistry and I don't know how to revise for it. I got an A in GCSE then did bad in AS. Any revision tips? I find the old spec exams much easier than the new spec exams. I've never sat such a terrible exam! Any advice would be much appreciated since I need a good chemistry grade to get into the course I want.
Make sure you are good at calculations and then just do many practice papers. I'd recommend getting the chemistry calculations book by the guy who runs chemguide, its so helpful.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm really bad at chemistry and I don't know how to revise for it. I got an A in GCSE then did bad in AS. Any revision tips? I find the old spec exams much easier than the new spec exams. I've never sat such a terrible exam! Any advice would be much appreciated since I need a good chemistry grade to get into the course I want.
I mean, all you really need is the CGP TEXTBOOK (NOT REVISION GUIDE) for your exam board and a heap tonne of past papers. Use past papers from AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC as they're all identical. If you do that well, you should get an A. A* is a bit hit or miss, as with all subjects, so if you don't get it, don't be disheartened.
ssizzles
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

Do LOADS of practice papers before the exam, you wlll eventually get used to the types of questions you get asked.
Also, make sure you understand the basics before you progress to harder things.
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
chemrevise
Oragon
Rep:
(Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
chemrevise
do you just print the notes or make your own notes using them?
Oragon
Rep:
(Original post by ssizzles)
Do LOADS of practice papers before the exam, you wlll eventually get used to the types of questions you get asked.
Also, make sure you understand the basics before you progress to harder things.
Thanks! I think i really struggle with the basics ever since I crammed my GCSE revision in 2 weeks . I just memorised without understanding much of the basic GCSE concepts
Oragon
Rep:
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
I mean, all you really need is the CGP TEXTBOOK (NOT REVISION GUIDE) for your exam board and a heap tonne of past papers. Use past papers from AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC as they're all identical. If you do that well, you should get an A. A* is a bit hit or miss, as with all subjects, so if you don't get it, don't be disheartened.
thank you! And yeah I just realised that an A* is a bit too ambitious for me an A would be a miracle enough.
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
do you just print the notes or make your own notes using them?
Always make your own notes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise