Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How to get an A* in A-Level chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm really bad at chemistry and I don't know how to revise for it. I got an A in GCSE then did bad in AS. Any revision tips? I find the old spec exams much easier than the new spec exams. I've never sat such a terrible exam! Do you know any good video tutorials for the topics? Any advice would be much appreciated since I need a good chemistry grade to get into the course I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oragon)
    Hi everyone,

I'm really bad at chemistry and I don't know how to revise for it. I got an A in GCSE then did bad in AS. Any revision tips? I find the old spec exams much easier than the new spec exams. I've never sat such a terrible exam! Any advice would be much appreciated since I need a good chemistry grade to get into the course I want.
    Make sure you are good at calculations and then just do many practice papers. I'd recommend getting the chemistry calculations book by the guy who runs chemguide, its so helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm really bad at chemistry and I don't know how to revise for it. I got an A in GCSE then did bad in AS. Any revision tips? I find the old spec exams much easier than the new spec exams. I've never sat such a terrible exam! Any advice would be much appreciated since I need a good chemistry grade to get into the course I want.
    I mean, all you really need is the CGP TEXTBOOK (NOT REVISION GUIDE) for your exam board and a heap tonne of past papers. Use past papers from AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC as they're all identical. If you do that well, you should get an A. A* is a bit hit or miss, as with all subjects, so if you don't get it, don't be disheartened.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Do LOADS of practice papers before the exam, you wlll eventually get used to the types of questions you get asked.
    Also, make sure you understand the basics before you progress to harder things.

ReputationRep:
    chemrevise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
    chemrevise
    do you just print the notes or make your own notes using them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssizzles)
    Do LOADS of practice papers before the exam, you wlll eventually get used to the types of questions you get asked.
    Also, make sure you understand the basics before you progress to harder things.
    Thanks! I think i really struggle with the basics ever since I crammed my GCSE revision in 2 weeks . I just memorised without understanding much of the basic GCSE concepts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    I mean, all you really need is the CGP TEXTBOOK (NOT REVISION GUIDE) for your exam board and a heap tonne of past papers. Use past papers from AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC as they're all identical. If you do that well, you should get an A. A* is a bit hit or miss, as with all subjects, so if you don't get it, don't be disheartened.
    thank you! And yeah I just realised that an A* is a bit too ambitious for me an A would be a miracle enough.

ReputationRep:
    do you just print the notes or make your own notes using them?
    Always make your own notes.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.