Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Quantum mechanic

ReputationRep:
    The allowed energy levels (En) for a particle of mass m in a one-dimensional box of length a are given by: En = n2h2/(8ma2) , n = 1, 2, 3, ... The carbocyanine dye 1 has 10 electrons in the conjugated π-system (highlighted in bold). The energy levels (“orbital energies”) of the π-electrons can be estimated by treating the πsystem as a one-dimensional box of length 1.40 nm. Each level can then be occupied by up to 2 electrons. 1 Calculate the energy difference between 5th and 6th energy levels (i.e., the gap between the highest occupied and lowest unoccupied orbitals). Convert this energy to a wavelength, λ. The actual absorption wavelength is 575 nm. Comment on why the result of your calculation is different from this. h = 6.626 × 10–34 J s, me = 9.109 × 10–31 kg, c = 2.997 × 108 m s–1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose86)
    The allowed energy levels (En) for a particle of mass m in a one-dimensional box of length a are given by: En = n2h2/(8ma2) , n = 1, 2, 3, ... The carbocyanine dye 1 has 10 electrons in the conjugated π-system (highlighted in bold). The energy levels (“orbital energies”) of the π-electrons can be estimated by treating the πsystem as a one-dimensional box of length 1.40 nm. Each level can then be occupied by up to 2 electrons. 1 Calculate the energy difference between 5th and 6th energy levels (i.e., the gap between the highest occupied and lowest unoccupied orbitals). Convert this energy to a wavelength, λ. The actual absorption wavelength is 575 nm. Comment on why the result of your calculation is different from this. h = 6.626 × 10–34 J s, me = 9.109 × 10–31 kg, c = 2.997 × 108 m s–1
    Here's just a quick bit of working out on this one (hopefully the attachments work)

The reason the wavelength aren't identical is because the particle in a box is a very simplified model and so it can't be expected to completely agree with the reality of the situation, given that fact, the agreement you get is quite good
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    Here's just a quick bit of working out on this one (hopefully the attachments work)

The reason the wavelength aren't identical is because the particle in a box is a very simplified model and so it can't be expected to completely agree with the reality of the situation, given that fact, the agreement you get is quite good
    Thank You, but it was few days ago and I have already done it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose86)
    Thank You, but it was few days ago and I have already done it
    Ahh well, never mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    Ahh well, never mind
    Anyway Thank you😘

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.