Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey you all
    my school yr resumes really soon, as u all can see in my signature... and there is an importan decision i need to make
    so, here is my situation. i lived in china for 12-13 yrs. then, i came to US, and now i'm 17, going to be a senior in like 7 days...
    i already took 3 yrs of spanish, and i have spanish SL as my foreign language.
    this coming yr, the school is offering Chinese as another option for foreign language. and my question is, am I allowed to just take chinese as my foreign language just like that?? i kinda remember reading somewhere on TSR that if u were in a country for more than 5 yrs, then u cant have that lang as ur A2??
    and if i take chinese as my A2 and dump spanish, would IB catch me??
    knowledgeable ppl such as deus, L2(LZ) (spelling) and ibseed, get in here and help...

ReputationRep:
    Well, the simple rule is, according to me anyway, if you already have your US passport, what the IB doesn't know, it doesn't need to know. If you still have a Chinese passport then it's a definite No-No because they will know that your are at least semi-fluent in Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with taking a language you already know at A2. You're even allowed to take a your mother-tongue as a language B (but the thing is, it's just a waste of time sitting in class learning grammar and stuff for your moth-tongue, and many feel that it is slightly unethical, seeing as you're basically guaranteed a 7).

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy fluent in French and English who took A1 English and B French, there is nothing wrong with it.

Alot of people I know have parents of different nationalities, thus know multiple languages really well, and still take B languages.

I've never heard of a rule against taking a language if you're fluent...

ReputationRep:
    The rule refers to Ab Initio. You cannot do a language at ab initio level if you have been studying it for more than two years. I think that is the only language related rule there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deus)
    The rule refers to Ab Initio. You cannot do a language at ab initio level if you have been studying it for more than two years. I think that is the only language related rule there is.
    so, make it easy on me deus, if i still have chinese passport, but green card pending, am i allowed to take Chinese as A2?

and can anyone explain Ab Initio??? got no clue what that is:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any reason why you can't do Chinese A2. There are 0 reasons that I know of.

ReputationRep:
    For A2 you are meant to be fluent, or near as damn fluent in it...it's a literary course.

Alot of truly bilingual people take an A2 as it is MUCH less work than 2 A1 languages, an A2 language is by no means an easy or soft option for anyone..

ReputationRep:
    sweet guys, then i'm definitely going for Chinese as A2 in order to make my possibly extremely low English HL A1 exam;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icecoldstar)
    sweet guys, then i'm definitely going for Chinese as A2 in order to make my possibly extremely low English HL A1 exam;yes;
    If you want to make it even easier on yourself take Chinese B at HL or SL (NOT Ab initio). You're technically allowed to do this, but you may find that your particular school doesn't let you.

ReputationRep:
    What about the hours requirement. SL subjects requrie 90 hours of studying each right? So can the OP fulfil 90 hours pf Chinese A2 in 1 year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HALe)
    What about the hours requirement. SL subjects requrie 90 hours of studying each right? So can the OP fulfil 90 hours pf Chinese A2 in 1 year?
    Yes. That is feasable. Proof of this is the fact that the IB allows some schools to do some SL courses in one year. They are called Accelerated as far as I remember.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.