The Student Room Group

Just some general university questions.

Its nothing in particular, just some general questions about uni so for starters:

How long does one year of uni take approximately? i.e. we know most unis start in september but when do they finish for the year?

And also how many holidays do we generally have in that one year? i.e. is it the same as school like 2 weeks christmas 2 weeks easter etc and half terms and what not.

and ermmmmmmmm thats all thats coming to mind at the moment... I'll conjure up some more later.
Reply 1
OK, assuming most unis have similar systems:
The year starts late September/early October. Term lasts about 8-10 weeks. You get 4 weeks holiday over Christmas.
2nd term runs January - March. You get 4 weeks off over Easter.
3rd term runs April-end of June (or often earlier) and you then have about 12 weeks summer vacation.
There are no half terms as such, although sometimes you get a "reading week" when you have no lectures. It is supposed to be for private study but most people use it as a week off.
This pattern varies from place to place and for different courses, but most of my friends at other unis seem to have roughly the same total time there and at home - about 30 weeks at uni and 22 at home over the year.
Hope this helps a bit!
Reply 2
Look at the university website for their accurate term dates... the one im going to has 2 weeks off at xmas, not 4!
Reply 3
I had three weeks off at Christmas and Easter. Then summer was from end of May to end of September. God how i will miss those looooooong holidays! x
my first term is last week of september till 2nd week of december,
second term is beginning of second week of jan till 2nd week of may then thats me finished for the year.

holidays are christmas and easter thats it for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending