Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

M4 help!!! Rep awarded

ReputationRep:
    Despite having no problem with oblique impacts, I can't seem to solve the following question.I am unable to upload any working.However, I did the usual the perpendicular components remain unchanged,use the law of restution etc , but I did set the intial velocity of sphere A as usintheta and its velocity aftr impact as v1sin(90-theta).I then tried to eliminate variables and solve for 1 in terms of lambda and e , then substituted this into the inequality lambda>1

Heres the question:
    A smooth sphere,of mass m and radius a, moves on a horizontal table with speed u and collides with a smooth stationary sphere B, of mass lambdam(lambda>1) and radius a.Before impact the direction of motion of A makes an acute angle theta with the lines of centres.As a result of the impact A is deflected through a right angle.The coefficent if restution between the spheres is e
    Show that e>1/lambda
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

(Original post by Sapereaude45)
    Despite having no problem with oblique impacts, I can't seem to solve the following question.I am unable to upload any working.However, I did the usual the perpendicular components remain unchanged,use the law of restution etc , but I did set the intial velocity of sphere A as usintheta and its velocity aftr impact as v1sin(90-theta).I then tried to eliminate variables and solve for 1 in terms of lambda and e , then substituted this into the inequality lambda>1

Heres the question:
    A smooth sphere,of mass m and radius a, moves on a horizontal table with speed u and collides with a smooth stationary sphere B, of mass lambdam(lambda>1) and radius a.Before impact the direction of motion of A makes an acute angle theta with the lines of centres.As a result of the impact A is deflected through a right angle.The coefficent if restution between the spheres is e
    Show that e>1/lambda
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Let v_1,v_2 be the velocities of A,B respectively after impact.

In summary.

Conservation of Momentum:

Perpendicular to line of centres gives:

v_1 = u\tan\theta

Parallel to line of centres gives:

\dfrac{u}{\cos\theta}=\lambda v_2

Restitution equation gives:

v_2+v_1\sin\theta=eu\cos\theta

Sub'ing previous into that last equation, dropping the u, gives:

\dfrac{1}{\lambda\cos\theta}+   \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos\theta}  = e\cos\theta

Multiply up, rearrange giving.

\dfrac{1}{\lambda}=e\cos^2\theta - \sin^2\theta

Now:
    Spoiler:
    Show

e\cos^2\theta - \sin^2\theta\leq e\cos^2\theta - e\sin^2\theta

=e\cos 2\theta

\leq e

PS: I won't accept you can't upload any working next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Let v_1,v_2 be the velocities of A,B respectively after impact.

In summary.

Conservation of Momentum:

Perpendicular to line of centres gives:

v_1 = u\tan\theta

Parallel to line of centres gives:

\dfrac{u}{\cos\theta}=\lambda v_2

Restitution equation gives:

v_2+v_1\sin\theta=eu\cos\theta

Sub'ing previous into that last equation, dropping the u, gives:

\dfrac{1}{\lambda\cos\theta}+   \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos\theta}  = e\cos\theta

Multiply up, rearrange giving.

\dfrac{1}{\lambda}=e\cos^2\theta - \sin^2\theta

Now:
    Spoiler:
    Show

e\cos^2\theta - \sin^2\theta\leq e\cos^2\theta - e\sin^2\theta

=e\cos 2\theta

\leq e
    PS: I won't accept you can't upload any working next time.
    Brilliant thanks for the help-one if the most helpful on the site.Ive confident I'll be needing your help again in the future
    Sorry for the lack of working on my part, I did try uploading a picture howver it wouldn't show due to an error.For future reference how do I show my working in the same way you have?As I have seen others use the same format before.

(Original post by Sapereaude45)
    For future reference how do I show my working in the same way you have?As I have seen others use the same format before.
    It's call LaTex, and in one form or another is a widely used typesetting tool for mathematics, and documents in general. And used on this website by anyone serious about their maths (apart from one person I know of). It's well worth learning.

There is a maths starter guide in the "useful resources" widget, but I'll include the link just in case - see here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    It's call LaTex, and in one form or another is a widely used typesetting tool for mathematics, and documents in general. And used on this website by anyone serious about their maths (apart from one person I know of). It's well worth learning.

There is a maths starter guide in the "useful resources" widget, but I'll include the link just in case - see here
    I'll be sure to use this in future.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.