The Student Room Group

British universities vs Dutch universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
I filled out the UC app as well but then was like nah cuz uni in the US is too expensive, also was going to apply to a few east coast and midwest schools. I can't be bothered to write all those essays tbh :tongue: is McGill cheaper for US students? Just wondering cuz I was going to apply to McGill for Sciences but decided not to a few days ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same , I couldn't be bothered to write them either and it's my country😂. I liked the UCAS essay because you actually get to talk about your subject. Most schools here don't have that. It's all what challenges have you faced..blah blah blah.. It is expensive but the schools here i'm applying to shouldn't be too bad actually. I'll be paying instate tuition at state schools. For the out of state schools there's this scholarship called WUE that I could apply for, it's just for west coast schools, don't know if it applies to int'l students, doubt it..
Mcgill is and isn'tcheaper. I'd be paying about $20,000 for everthing including healthcare. It will be about the same as the state schools I'm applying to. But compared to the price of all the schools like Harvard which wants $40,000+ a year it's a good deal because it's at the same level of education. But sciences will cost more maybe $30,000. I say go for. I reconsidered applying to at one point just because of the amount of schools I'm applying to. But I decided to keep it on my list.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Oh you're American! Well nice to meet you and I don't blame you for looking at uni abroad. There's loads of Americans at Dutch unis :smile:

[video="youtube;axF25eO4msY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axF25eO4msY[/video]

Can't watch the vid now, do it later..
I didn't know there wld be alot of americans. I figured british yea, americans no.
I don't know anyone else applying out of the country.. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Original post by Day_dreamer4life
Same , I couldn't be bothered to write them either and it's my country😂. I liked the UCAS essay because you actually get to talk about your subject. Most schools here don't have that. It's all what challenges have you faced..blah blah blah.. It is expensive but the schools here i'm applying to shouldn't be too bad actually. I'll be paying instate tuition at state schools. For the out of state schools there's this scholarship called WUE that I could apply for, it's just for west coast schools, don't know if it applies to int'l students, doubt it..
Mcgill is and isn'tcheaper. I'd be paying about $20,000 for everthing including healthcare. It will be about the same as the state schools I'm applying to. But compared to the price of all the schools like Harvard which wants $40,000+ a year it's a good deal because it's at the same level of education. But sciences will cost more maybe $30,000. I say go for. I reconsidered applying to at one point just because of the amount of schools I'm applying to. But I decided to keep it on my list.

Ikr, the common app questions were just vague af... USC's tuition is $50,000 plus... Other places in the world has the same level of education and is less expensive... Yeah most instate fees are way cheaper, I couldn't be bothered to look through all the scholarships because I am not an extremely outstanding student that will stand out in the holistic admissions process. Plus most of them don't apply to overseas applicants anyways. Nah, not applying to any Canadian schools anymore... hahaha I had 30 unis on my.list at one point... cut it down to 10-12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ikr, the common app questions were just vague af... USC's tuition is $50,000 plus... Other places in the world has the same level of education and is less expensive... Yeah most instate fees are way cheaper, I couldn't be bothered to look through all the scholarships because I am not an extremely outstanding student that will stand out in the holistic admissions process. Plus most of them don't apply to overseas applicants anyways. Nah, not applying to any Canadian schools anymore... hahaha I had 30 unis on my.list at one point... cut it down to 10-12

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mom told me to put only seven schools on my list. Now I have twelve. Fortunately I won't be paying that much for applications. USC is just expensive because it's a private. You can probably get a better education at a UN.
My mom told me to put only seven schools on my list. Now I have twelve. Fortunately I won't be paying that much for applications. USC is just expensive because it's a private. You can probably get a better education at a UN.

Why won't you be paying much? Hahaha yeah, tbh 12 is not that many, I have friend who's applying to 24 US unis... Yeah private uni education is expensive af but as an international student state unis like UMinnesota also cost like 40,000 USD not including living expenses etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why won't you be paying much? Hahaha yeah, tbh 12 is not that many, I have friend who's applying to 24 US unis... Yeah private uni education is expensive af but as an international student state unis like UMinnesota also cost like 40,000 USD not including living expenses etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here twelve unis is abt average, I think ten is the norm. Most of my friends are applying to less than eight schools. The app price will be low because UCAS is only £23, just realized I used the wrong sign on one of my answers (used this€). Then most of my apps will be between $75-$$100. I'm also applying to an app fee waiver for CSU schools.

So glad I wouldn't be paying int'l fees if I attended here.
Reply 186

Harvard is basically free for most students. Only rich kids pay $40K+.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator
Original post by Josb
Harvard is basically free for most students. Only rich kids pay $40K+.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator

True that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here twelve unis is abt average, I think ten is the norm. Most of my friends are applying to less than eight schools. The app price will be low because UCAS is only £23, just realized I used the wrong sign on one of my answers (used this€). Then most of my apps will be between $75-$$100. I'm also applying to an app fee waiver for CSU schools.

So glad I wouldn't be paying int'l fees if I attended here.

Yeah that's what I heard too, 10 is the norm. My friends are insane with their applications... hahaha yeah nonUS apps are generally a bit cheaper. Ummm yeah international fees ain't fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Josb;68347754"]Harvard is basically free for most students. Only rich kids pay $40K+.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator[/QUOTE
College.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works/cost-attendance
Sorry can't get actual link

I actually heard that they want ed to make it free. Don't think they actually did it yet.

If your income is $65,000 then you pay 0-10% of your income.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Oh you're American! Well nice to meet you and I don't blame you for looking at uni abroad. There's loads of Americans at Dutch unis :smile:

Have you got a place, and decided where you want to go yet, mrs SC?

J
I'm trying to decide what program to apply to at University of Groningen. I'm interested in European Languages and Cultures, I'll get to choose a language, a specialization I'll either choose Politics and Society or Language and Society. My other option is International Relations and Int'l Organizations, I'll get to choose a language but I don't think I'll spend alot of time on it.
I looked at both brochures and I liked both programs. I'm still trying to decide, the programs have some similarities. Hopefully you can help.
How do you enter your qualifications, motivational letter (for which I assume I can use my PS), place of education, etc. on studielink?
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
How do you enter your qualifications, motivational letter (for which I assume I can use my PS), place of education, etc. on studielink?

You don't mention it on Studielink. The uni send you a link to your application form.
I'm trying to decide what program to apply to at University of Groningen. I'm interested in European Languages and Cultures, I'll get to choose a language, a specialization I'll either choose Politics and Society or Language and Society. My other option is International Relations and Int'l Organizations, I'll get to choose a language but I don't think I'll spend alot of time on it.
I looked at both brochures and I liked both programs. I'm still trying to decide, the programs have some similarities. Hopefully you can help.

Maybe email one of the lecturers for each subject?
Reply 195
Just wondering how you converted your english grades into the dutch ones in the Amsterdam Uni forms? I'm also applying to Amsterdam and cant get my head around converting my grades etc.
Original post by smfor
Just wondering how you converted your english grades into the dutch ones in the Amsterdam Uni forms? I'm also applying to Amsterdam and cant get my head around converting my grades etc.

You don't really convert them. I uploaded my GCSE and A level results onto the application form. It says on the website that they want 3 A levels and 3 GCSEs :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by Josb
I already told you to go to the Netherlands. :tongue: Speaking another language is very recommended for the job you want. And Dutch unis are respected everywhere in Europe.

Starting your career free of debt is also enjoyable.

That said, European unis are indeed harder than Anglo-saxon due to lighter selection, so you must be motivated.

Moreover, it is possibly your last chance to enjoy the EU before Brexit.

I should have also mentioned that Dutchmen are the tallest men in the world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36888541
Original post by Josb
I should have also mentioned that Dutchmen are the tallest men in the world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36888541

Yaaas. Just need to find a white Dutchman with blue eyes, a nice body with a high sex drive who I have romantic and sexual chemistry with so I can climb him like a tree :colone:
Hi Mrs SC, have really enjoyed reading your thread. Good luck with your studies in the Netherlands. I visited the University of Amsterdam and Utrecht university in the summer. They are fabulous institutions and Amsterdam has a real buzz about the city. I am only in Y 11 but I am thinking about A level choices and making the correct choices for the university course I want.#

I did like the look of the Liberal Arts degrees- following the International Relations and politics track, but UVA has introduced a English taught Political Science degree this year that tick all the boxes for me. Leiden Univ looks like it has some really interesting courses too.

Have you found this video on the UVA website? I found it really useful.

http://webcolleges.uva.nl/Mediasite/Play/1f77cb44ac3446968ee10be61e244d5c1d

It came from the 'Watch Studying at the UVA' on this page:
http://www.uva.nl/en/education/bachelor-s/open-days/bachelor-s-day/bachelor-s-day.html

Do you know if Dutch degrees are honours degrees or ordinary degrees?

Quick Reply

Latest