Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm turning a junior next week, and after the Placement test at school last week, my IB coordinator together with my potential math teacher strongly recommended to take Math as HL, when I have already chosen Biology, Chemistry and Econs as HL and Math, English A1 and Chinese B as SL.

They told me to give it a shot at taking 4 HL subjects, Biology, Chemistry and Econs +MATH, and drop one of them down to SL if I can't cope.

What do you all think? do you think I should give it a shot?
    I'm scared I will be too stressed and loaded with too much work, when I am planning to join Varsity Girls Soccer. Also, I have after school lessons at a Korean academy on Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays.

What shall I do?

ReputationRep:
    Do you need 4 HL?
    Also, I have after school lessons at a Korean academy on Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays.
    4 HL PLUS this? :eek:

No, no, no, it's a bad bad idea. Seriously, while it seems impressive but you really wouldn't need the extra work.

ReputationRep:
    From what i can tell math sl and hl are the same. Its only when to do studies where it gets easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diff_lock2)
    From what i can tell math sl and hl are the same. Its only when to do studies where it gets easier
    I hope you aren't being serious.

It is true that the maths HL syllabus encompasses the whole of the SL syllabus, but the former course has far more advancdd topics than the former.

Anyway to the OP I'd suggest just going to the HL classes for a month or two, and attempting the course. If you find too hard or time-consuming just drop it without penalty later. There's the added benefit of becoming very good at the SL topics when you've learned the HL stuff as well.

ReputationRep:
    There's no benefit from learning HL Economics over SL Economics though, really. Angelet, if you want to do an Economics degree later, you don't even need HL Economics -- drop that to SL and take HL Mathematics, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    There's no benefit from learning HL Economics over SL Economics though, really. Angelet, if you want to do an Economics degree later, you don't even need HL Economics -- drop that to SL and take HL Mathematics, in my opinion.
    You don't need economics at IB to study it at university, but if you like the subject so much you should definitely take it at HL.

ReputationRep:
    Content-wise, HL & SL don't vary hugely, but the questions in the HL paper are infinitely more complex. They tend to involve a variety of different elements from different topics, posed in weird and wonderful ways, that make you cringe.

SL questions are much more straight-forward, testing simply your ability to remember vaguely what you learnt, and how to use the formulae in your formula booklet.

Don't begin to view the two as being on a par, or you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise

ReputationRep:
    As others have said - LOL...

OP, I recommend you to go for Maths HL, then drop the one you feel is hardest, or you don't need for uni. Economics HL will normally not be required for uni, and that was the subject I dropped (I had 4 HL's until registration for exams when I dropped eco).

ReputationRep:
    A good rule of thumb is to go with 4 HL during your first years and then drop the one you 1) dislike 2) find hardest 3) is not required for tertiary education.
    You also learn more doing another HL, and if I'm not mistaken that was the original intention with school, to learn, today sadly some student's sole purpose to breathe is to get as many 7's as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I just completed IB this year. My HL were Mathematics, Biology and Chem and my SL were English A1, Geography and Greek.

In my first year, I did 4 HL which were the above highers as well as English HL. In my opinion, doing 4 HL subjects was totally pointless and a huge waste of time. The work load was heavy and I was not able to focus on the subjects that were relevant to my chosen university course (Medicine). In my second year of IB, the first thing I did was drop my 4th higher (English).

If you know which course you want to pursue at university, then you should find out what HL subjects are needed for that particular course and take those subjects. In my case, all the universities wanted Mathematics/Physics, Chemistry and Biology at HL.

All UK universities give offers based on 3 HL and 3 SL. You will not increase your chances of getting into say, Oxbridge, if you do 4 HL. I thought this. I applied to Cambridge with the typical 3 HL and 3 SL and I got accepted. If you want to follow a science based degree then I would suggest that you do Mathematics, Biology and Chem HL. Mathematics HL opens up many doors for you.

Don't make the mistake of doing 4 HL!

ReputationRep:
    not saying anyone is right or wrong here but i did 4 higher and so t can be done. admittedly my 4th higher was visual arts, and so from the examination side of things it helped a little, but in terms of wrkload art is supposedly one with a lot of wrok and i didnt struggle. it must have helped my uni application in some ways aswell, many admissions tutors commented on it. defintiely try it, as getting an even better qualification ( if you can do it) is wroth a try at least

ReputationRep:
    I really really do not think it's worth taking 4 HL subjects. What's the point, really? If you're applying to England they'd only care about the relevant HL subjects that are related to course requirements.

I mean, are there really any subjects out there that would demand four highers? I doubt there's even a science course (And off the top of my head, chemical engineering could use math/chem/physics but not a fourth higher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    I really really do not think it's worth taking 4 HL subjects. What's the point, really? If you're applying to England they'd only care about the relevant HL subjects that are related to course requirements.

I mean, are there really any subjects out there that would demand four highers? I doubt there's even a science course (And off the top of my head, chemical engineering could use math/chem/physics but not a fourth higher).
    You're missing the point that studying four HL subjects gives you more depth of knowledge in four subjects rather than just three. It might have no benefit for university applications, but learning for its own sake is a good motivation too.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the fact that the OP is already taking extra lessons at a Korean academy, adding to the work load could be stressful.

That said, you *could* just try it. Then drop.

ReputationRep:
    I had 4 HL and 3 SL. My HL were Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry. My SL were just as tough cause I took up English A1 instead of my native Russian and I had switched from Business to Economics in April of IB1. In overall, instead of the 45 points I was capable of, I scored 40. Not bad, 1 point higher than my Oxford offer however there is this stingy feeling of slight disappointment. Nevertheless I think I got accepted to Ox because I showed that I could stand up to a challenge.

If I were to re-do IB I think I might have changed my subject package, have Russian for A1, perhaps do Bio SL... That would increase my points, but I've gained some real good knowledge for life, (eg. this summer when I found myself in a hospital and I actually could talk the same language and yeah, i'm still alive!) :-p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    You're missing the point that studying four HL subjects gives you more depth of knowledge in four subjects rather than just three. It might have no benefit for university applications, but learning for its own sake is a good motivation too.
    I see what you mean, and personally I would have done 4 HLs as well, provided I could fit them properly in my timetable schedule. Some highers like Geography, Economics or Business are most likely manageable, as the amount of extra course content is marginal in comparison to SL.

But it gives the wrong idea. There is such thing as working too much for the wrong reasons. When you go to university, you study what you are primarily interested in, and the majority of your work goes into that one subject. It takes a lot of time. You can't just take another module completely unrelated for the sake of 'learning' it -- it's enough work as it is. I realise people do minors in America, or some people who'll do a history degree might find one or two anthropology modules interesting, but it becomes obsolete stuff quickly.

That's why my school prohibits 4 HLs. It promotes a wrong work ethic, simply put, regardless of how much you want to learn (because quite frankly, I love about 90% of the subjects in the IB list, but it's irrational to think you can learn only so little in life).

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming in late to this thread, but if you're gonna take 4 HLs then be REALLY careful that you can drop one. I think i've made that mistake - today's my first day of school and I want to drop English HL but my co-ordinator tells me that the SL class is full. so just check on the scheduling

ReputationRep:
    hardworking koreans...........lol~ koreans in my school is definitely overloading themselves, going to academy at night until 12 or 1am plus all the IB work and SATs. personally i think that's very crazy...i don't know if your situation is similar, but taking 4HLs isn't easy, especially all your HLs are very demanding subjects. I'm taking 4 HLs as well, but i do English A2 History Biology and Music Higher, its stressful enough.

ReputationRep:
    pj1623,
    don't get nationalistic ;-p. personally i'm a russian to the core.
    nevertheless, doing more than less is a motto for the rest of your life that is really rewarding.
    here's another option for you, you can do economics SL and attend HL classes whilst doing only SL work.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite sad to read a thread like this, and hear how many people have forgotten about the real purpose of school: to learn.
    Sadly this I consider society's fault, since there is a certain positive stigma attached to the schools considered good, and a negative stigma attached to the ones deemed as being bad.
    Though I am surprised how people no longer want to learn for the sake of learning, but instead learn for the sake of university, career, wealth, prestige.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.