Turn on thread page Beta

Open Application-Do they consider your personality?! watch

when you apply with an open application, do they choose your selection of 3 colleges at random or do they take your abbilities, interests and characteristics into account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebirepsax)
    when you apply with an open application, do they choose your selection of 3 colleges at random or do they take your abbilities, interests and characteristics into account?
    I think they just submit your application to the undersubscribed colleges, without really looking to match up interests.

G

ReputationRep:
    Like College Match-Maker?

Is there such a service available? I know there's loads of information to help you choose, but is there are personalised service out there in the big old world?

Takes away all the fun, though

ReputationRep:
    They shove you into the crappest one that fewer people applied to.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was shoved to Merton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    Well, I was shoved to Merton
    Such things are very rare though. Statistically you are most likely to end up at a college which also takes a lot of people from the pool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Such things are very rare though. Statistically you are most likely to end up at a college which also takes a lot of people from the pool.
    could you tell me how the pooling system works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    could you tell me how the pooling system works
    If the college don't have enouh places to offer you one...but they think you are of sufficient calibre to attend cambridge....they pool you. From the pool....colleges with undersubscribed numbers try and find candidates to 'fish out' to fill places that they have.

Therefore..it tends to be the colleges with less people applying to them who take people from the pool.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Therefore..it tends to be the colleges with less people applying to them who take people from the pool.

G
    OR they might have lots of people applying but not enough of a high enough standard - so you CAN get pooled to colleges that are well-subscribed, though I'd imagine this tends to happen less often.

ReputationRep:

It's all pretty much random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munch_crunch)
    It's all pretty much random.
    Yes, for open applications colleges are allocated at random by a computer.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.