Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How hard is a level maths Watch

ReputationRep:
    How hard is a level maths?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    C1 S1 seem basic so far just stuff we learnt in GCSE and a few extra, im guessing C2 will be a bit harder, but yeh C1 and S1 you shouldn't find too hard given you work at it. And if you hve good algebra skills you will find AS-Level maths not so difficult i guess, don't quote me on this but a lot of C1 is algebra and im guessing C2 is the same. I think it gets hard in year 13
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Can't say much yet since I'm in Year 12, but like the person above, I am finding C1 and S1 to be very nice and so the transition from GCSE to A Level is fairly smooth. Obviously it will get harder but there isn't a huge gap unlike other subjects.
    I'm starting C2 tomorrow so I'll let you know if that gets immediately harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matilda612)
    How hard is a level maths?
    As hard as you want it to be...
    Enough practise, and it's fine (just like with any subject)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Can't say much yet since I'm in Year 12, but like the person above, I am finding C1 and S1 to be very nice and so the transition from GCSE to A Level is fairly smooth. Obviously it will get harder but there isn't a huge gap unlike other subjects.
    Has you're school already finished C1 and S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long is a piece of string?

It's all about perspective. I didn't find it hard, especially the AS stuff but I've never struggled with maths. In terms of GCSE there is a solid step up but nothing you can't manage. If you did well at GCSE and understood everything you'll do fine at AS. And if you have a good knowledge of AS it'll carry into A2.

On the oppsite end of the spectrum if you really struggled with GCSE Maths then you're going to hate A Level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    Has you're school already finished C1 and S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've finished C1 and am about 3/4 (maybe more) through S1. The reason why I am going at a faster pace though is because I'm doing FM so we need to get the normal maths modules 'out of the way'

ReputationRep:
    I've finished C1 and am about 3/4 (maybe more) through S1. The reason why I am going at a faster pace though is because I'm doing FM so we need to get the normal maths modules 'out of the way'
    Oh ok I do further maths as well although in my school we have 1 teacher for maths and 2 teachers for further maths.

One of the maths teachers are teaching C1 whereas the other one is teaching S1 and one of the further maths teachers are teaching D1 and so we'll get all these modules done by November so that we can go onto C2, M1 and FP1 lol however I'm self teaching so I have finished D1 and C1 and nearly finished with S1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    C1 S1 seem basic so far just stuff we learnt in GCSE and a few extra, im guessing C2 will be a bit harder, but yeh C1 and S1 you shouldn't find too hard given you work at it. And if you hve good algebra skills you will find AS-Level maths not so difficult i guess, don't quote me on this but a lot of C1 is algebra and im guessing C2 is the same. I think it gets hard in year 13
    I'd say the step up from GCSE to Year 12 was bigger than the step up from Year 12 to Year 13 maths. But I did m1 and m2 last year which were the ones that I found the hardest. C1 and c2 is easy
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I'd say the step up from GCSE to Year 12 was bigger than the step up from Year 12 to Year 13 maths. But I did m1 and m2 last year which were the ones that I found the hardest. C1 and c2 is easy
    I find M1 the most interesting but it does require you to think a bit more than C1 and S1. I find S1 so boring. How did you find Fp1?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Already on C2? My class is taking ages

ReputationRep:
    Already on C2? My class is taking ages
    Same! They plan on doing C1 up until November/December and C2 from December to when our exams start which is sooo long!

That's why I am doing it myself which is good because I've finished C1 now ahaha and going to try and finish all the modules by November

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its alright tbh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Same! They plan on doing C1 up until November/December and C2 from December to when our exams start which is sooo long!

That's why I am doing it myself which is good because I've finished C1 now ahaha and going to try and finish all the modules by November

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck, i went through fp1 and m1 quick though, i may do C1 and C2 myself aswell

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about your applied module?
    My class is still on C1 as well. So long

ReputationRep:
    well i'm doing 6 units this year and so far c1 is okay

ReputationRep:
    AS isn't much of a step up from GCSE but A2 is much harder than AS imo

ReputationRep:
    I find M1 the most interesting but it does require you to think a bit more than C1 and S1. I find S1 so boring. How did you find Fp1?
    Haven't done it yet
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Haven't done it yet
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.