Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Mental health and A-levels/home schooling Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys,
    I was just wondering peoples opinion on self teaching Alevels. I have good GCSE grades: 2A* 7A and 1B... I am doing Economics, Geography and Biology now. I go to the same school as i have done for the past 3 years but my mental health has deteriorated more and more. I can't focus at school at all and that the whole situation is a big stressor to me. I receive treatment most days so i really only go into school for my lessons but still find it all hard to manage. If i home schooled myself, i would drop economics and do psychology i think. Do unis mind home tuition? I want to do psychology at UCL/Russel group. Any advice would be suuuuuper helpful. Thanks so much.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

    Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)

    I was in the same place as you in year 11, and I looked into homeschooling for my a levels. I think that it would probably be very hard to self-teach, but there are distance learning courses available (although they're pretty pricey).

    does biology contain any practical exams? If it does, have you looked into how you could do these as a homeschooler?

    Luckily for me when I started sixth form everything got a lot better for me (by the end of year 12 I scored a 0 on the depression scale at the psychiatrist's ) but I'm guessing you're in year 12 now and it's still not better for you.

    Do you have someone who you can talk to at school who can advocate on your behalf? In years 10/11 I had a really good relationship with my head of year and she organised a part-time timetable for me and pulled me out of the "official" mock exams at school, which was amazing. Maybe you could talk to your head of year or tutor or someone about how they could help you - they might even be able to arrange for teachers to send work home for you so that you don't have to come in at least temporarily.

    Alternatively are there any other sixth forms or colleges locally that you could transfer to? If you hate the school environment maybe a college with More relaxed policies would suit you better?

    I have been in a similar situation to you during my GCSEs and A levels with my mental health.
    Although universities wont mind you having being home-schooled/self taught, they will need you to have good grades and the best chance you have for that is most likely if you're being taught.
    I really do understand how difficult it can be being in school when you're unwell but if you can try and put in place adjustments with your school to keep you there, I think it would be best for your chances at getting into uni.
    For example, I couldn't face working in the workrooms at sixth form due to my anxiety so I was allowed to work in a small room in Learning Support during my frees. I could leave my lessons if I was too overwhelmed. I got extra time and rest breaks during my exams.
    At the end of the day, your health has to come first.
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:



Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.