The Student Room Group
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Physician Associates WLV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PAstudent1
I have just completed the first year of the course at the University of Wolverhampton

Any questions please feel free to PM me

Hi, I was just wondering if you could give me a brief overview of how the course is laid out i.e. Modules of study, what the main topics are and how they come together.

What is your timetable like for academic time? How is this divided up? What is the teaching like?
Are academic staff supportive? Are the supportive whilst on placement?
What is your clinical placement timetable like? How is this divided up?

I have heard that the cohort of second years who recently sat the nationals failed and are now seeking legal action against the university? Are you aware of this and can you comment further as to what has been done/ planned to be done?

Thank you.
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by LordHelmet
Hi, I was just wondering if you could give me a brief overview of how the course is laid out i.e. Modules of study, what the main topics are and how they come together.

What is your timetable like for academic time? How is this divided up? What is the teaching like?

I have heard that the cohort of second years who recently sat the nationals failed and are now seeking legal action against the university? Are you aware of this and can you comment further as to what has been done/ planned to be done?

Thank you.

Hello,

Can I ask, where did you hear that the second years failed the national exams? Unfortunately I cannot answer the rest of your questions because I deferred my entry to September 2018 so i hope someone else will because I also would like to know the answer to those questions.
Original post by LordHelmet

Thank you.

Hi there,
I'm currently a first year student at UoW, so as I'm only 7 weeks in I cant answer all your questions unfortunately but I'll give it a go.

Timetabling: we are in 2.5 days a week, Tuesday-Thursday with Thursday being a half day, but this is soon to change to a full day. In the first semester, we are covering 3 modules (one per day) - clinical practice (clinical skills), clinical reasoning and decision making (PBLS etc), and clinical medicine (your anatomy and physiology module). After Christmas we will be doing a pharmacology-based module in place of the clinical reasoning module.

Teaching: the course is taught by a variety of staff - Clinical Skills is taught by a PA and a newly qualified doctor, Clinical reasoning is taught predominantly by a practicing PA, with frequent input from another practicing PA, the course lead (who is a nurse by trade), and a GP/Consultant. The clinical medicine module varies between staff from the Life Sciences Faculty (Drs) and a PA and GP/Consultant. They are relatively supportive, but it is emphasized that they aren't there to spoon feed you, they are there to facilitate your learning so a lot of independent work is required.

Placement: As I'm not at this stage yet, I cant comment much. You go on placement for 4-5 weeks at the beginning of February (usually a GP practice), then 5-6 weeks at the end of May til the start of July. You have to fill out a PAD document on placement, which essentially covers all the competencies you need and all the procedures you need to have seen or performed.

In regards to the most recent cohorts exam results, you would need to contact the university about your concerns. There has been significant improvements in the course since that cohort started, with a new course leader in place and new facilities available.

Hope this has answered some of your worries.
can you tell us a bit more about funding. As it is a pgdip, students won't be eligible for student finance. Does the university offer any financial help to students regarding tuition fees?thank you
Reply 64
Are you guys able to juggle part time job while doing the course?
Hi,

I have an interview coming up for Physician Associate with WLV for the 2018 entry, wanted to know if anyone has been for an interview and how was it?

Thanks!
Reply 66
When is your interview?
Reply 67
Could you give us some tips for the interview?

Original post by lizjames94
Hi there,
I'm currently a first year student at UoW, so as I'm only 7 weeks in I cant answer all your questions unfortunately but I'll give it a go.

Timetabling: we are in 2.5 days a week, Tuesday-Thursday with Thursday being a half day, but this is soon to change to a full day. In the first semester, we are covering 3 modules (one per day) - clinical practice (clinical skills), clinical reasoning and decision making (PBLS etc), and clinical medicine (your anatomy and physiology module). After Christmas we will be doing a pharmacology-based module in place of the clinical reasoning module.

Teaching: the course is taught by a variety of staff - Clinical Skills is taught by a PA and a newly qualified doctor, Clinical reasoning is taught predominantly by a practicing PA, with frequent input from another practicing PA, the course lead (who is a nurse by trade), and a GP/Consultant. The clinical medicine module varies between staff from the Life Sciences Faculty (Drs) and a PA and GP/Consultant. They are relatively supportive, but it is emphasized that they aren't there to spoon feed you, they are there to facilitate your learning so a lot of independent work is required.

Placement: As I'm not at this stage yet, I cant comment much. You go on placement for 4-5 weeks at the beginning of February (usually a GP practice), then 5-6 weeks at the end of May til the start of July. You have to fill out a PAD document on placement, which essentially covers all the competencies you need and all the procedures you need to have seen or performed.

In regards to the most recent cohorts exam results, you would need to contact the university about your concerns. There has been significant improvements in the course since that cohort started, with a new course leader in place and new facilities available.

Hope this has answered some of your worries.
Reply 68
I’m am a previous pa student. Some of the pas I studied with went into teach. One of them was not even able to do the cranial examination!!
The other was marking essays from pa students and they admitted they didn’t understand a word. They were not qualified to mark post graduate essays. It saddens me that this mark would then be used to decide a pass or fail for this student . How would this is lecturer assist this pa student when they didn’t understand anything themselves?
Original post by firkin
I’m am a previous pa student. Some of the pas I studied with went into teach. One of them was not even able to do the cranial examination!!
The other was marking essays from pa students and they admitted they didn’t understand a word. They were not qualified to mark post graduate essays. It saddens me that this mark would then be used to decide a pass or fail for this student . How would this is lecturer assist this pa student when they didn’t understand anything themselves?

This sounds pretty shocking. Did these two pass the national exam? Which uni were they at? If you don't mind me asking. The lack of standardisation and accreditation of courses from the FPA is a growing problem.
Reply 70
Original post by BChutney
This sounds pretty shocking. Did these two pass the national exam? Which uni were they at? If you don't mind me asking. The lack of standardisation and accreditation of courses from the FPA is a growing problem.

Hi both passed the mcq exam. The Osces were held later. One of them failed that. The other one passed it( this was the same person who couldn’t do cranial examination ) . A lot of us said how did that person pass the osce. But there were rumours that they knew people in higher places. The other person resat the Osces And passed. These two dint really have any proper teaching qualification. Yet both are paid to teach . How can you mark someone’s essay if you can’t understand a wotd. I’ve seen this person playing with their mobile as they e tried to decipher an essay.
Reply 71
Both were at wolves.
Reply 72
The one who couldn’t understand the essay they apparently failed their recertification exam. Lol
Original post by firkin
Hi both passed the mcq exam. The Osces were held later. One of them failed that. The other one passed it( this was the same person who couldn’t do cranial examination ) . A lot of us said how did that person pass the osce. But there were rumours that they knew people in higher places. The other person resat the Osces And passed. These two dint really have any proper teaching qualification. Yet both are paid to teach . How can you mark someone’s essay if you can’t understand a wotd. I’ve seen this person playing with their mobile as they e tried to decipher an essay.

This may sound horrible, but at least they aren't in front of patients.
Reply 74
Original post by Ilir1989
This may sound horrible, but at least they aren't in front of patients.

Actually both of them teach. One is part time lecturer. And this person is in front of patients. To be honest with you they are two faced. Nicer to patient in front of them but saying things behind their backs. I think they still need to mature up considering they are in their thirties.
Disgrace
[
QUOTE=firkin;76381366]Actually both of them teach. One is part time lecturer. And this person is in front of patients. To be honest with you they are two faced. Nicer to patient in front of them but saying things behind their backs. I think they still need to mature up considering they are in their thirties.
Reply 76
Hi There, Does anyone have an tips for the interview. It states that the interview will be on the NHS Values
Reply 77
Any 2018 starters? does anyone know when the start date is and induction? All I know is that 3rd September is suppose to be the start date but that's all I know. There are no other details. I called student services but the person on the phone said she doesn't know.
Reply 78
Original post by MaBin
Any 2018 starters? does anyone know when the start date is and induction? All I know is that 3rd September is suppose to be the start date but that's all I know. There are no other details. I called student services but the person on the phone said she doesn't know.

Hey,

Im starting this year :smile:, went and confirmed my ID today and I asked about next week. The lady said that apparently our induction information will be uploaded to e.vision, when this will happen I dont know. I think everyone's a little confused with the course moving to a new faculty this year.
Reply 79
Original post by Jshep03
Hey,

Im starting this year :smile:, went and confirmed my ID today and I asked about next week. The lady said that apparently our induction information will be uploaded to e.vision, when this will happen I dont know. I think everyone's a little confused with the course moving to a new faculty this year.

Hi,

I called them earlier and they said that we should get more information by the end of this week.

Quick Reply

Latest