Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

M406 – Full Drug Decriminalisation Motion 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    M406 – Full Drug Decriminalisation Motion 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Liberal Party

This house believes each individual should be responsible for their own actions. Furthermore, this house trusts individuals to act in their own self interest. However, this house understands that individuals sometimes make choices that are perceived to be against that individuals own self interest.

This house supports the right of an individual to do as they please as long as they are within the law and do not harm another individual.

This house notes the successes of Portugal including a reduction in the spread of HIV and AIDS, a decline in drug use for those aged between 15 and 24, the age-group most at risk of initiating drug use and a huge decrease in death due to drugs use.

This house also notes the success of drug consumption rooms in countries including Switzerland, Germany and Spain.

Therefore, this house calls upon Her Majesty's Government to decriminalise all drugs currently made illegal under the Misuse of Drugs act, but only if an individual possesses a drug for personal use. This house also calls on the Government to fund and create drug consumption rooms to ensure those consuming drugs do so without the risk of spreading HIV and remove the chance of suffering from an overdose.

Notes
    This is a short motion just to see how much of the house supports Full Drug Decriminalisation. I'm happy to write the bill myself if this passes, but I wanted to measure support first.

Source for Portugal Statistics - http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/drug-dec...ecord-straight
    Source for Drug Consumption Rooms - http://www.russellwebster.com/do-dru...on-rooms-work/

Changes
    Addition of Drug Consumption Rooms (with a source added in the notes above)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Changes?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Changes?
    Fez has either submitted the wrong one or I've messed up. 1 sec

Edit: Fez has cut off the Changes part xD

Changes
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Fez has either submitted the wrong one or I've messed up. 1 sec

Edit: Fez has cut off the Changes part xD

Changes
    Sorted. :yy:
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Sorted. :yy:
    Cheers
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am, have always been for decriminalising drugs, so obviously it's an Aye from me!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No need to say that encouraging people to shoot heroin into their eyeball is not going to have my support
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    No need to say that encouraging people to shoot heroin into their eyeball is not going to have my support
    This doesn't encourage it at all. If people want to shoot heroin into their eyeball, they are going to do it anyway. This at least allows them to seek help and to make sure they are as safe as one can be when injecting heroin.

ReputationRep:
    I support decriminalisation but not spending money on drug consumption rooms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanBowling33)
    I support decriminalisation but not spending money on drug consumption rooms
    Even with evidence that they decrease drug-overdose related deaths?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    This doesn't encourage it at all. If people want to shoot heroin into their eyeball, they are going to do it anyway. This at least allows them to seek help and to make sure they are as safe as one can be when injecting heroin.
    Tell me when you're more likely to do something, when there is a deterrent there, even if ours are ****, or when you're told "go ahead, we won't do anything about you trying to kill yourself"? A parasite is better dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    He's a libertarian, ethics starts and ends with 'property' for him.

Point of order: is there a mechanism in the GD for a second reading of a motion?

Aye though.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, although if I may ask does this not contradict previous Government legislation?

And as before if a motion is just to judge support I'd prefer a bill, but I can see the wisdom in a motion on this.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't the liberals recently re-criminalise psychedelics? Make your bloody minds up

But aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Tell me when you're more likely to do something, when there is a deterrent there, even if ours are ****, or when you're told "go ahead, we won't do anything about you trying to kill yourself"? A parasite is better dead.
    There are literally secondary school kids doing drugs for the thrill of it being illegal, and taking away that part and allowing safety would be better for humanity.

Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye. You should never punish those who possess the drug but those who supply. We should help people who possess drugs and not lock them behind bars.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Do what you want as long as it doesn't harm those around you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Broadly speaking yes but even so I'd like to see this "evidence"

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    He's a libertarian, ethics starts and ends with 'property' for him.

Point of order: is there a mechanism in the GD for a second reading of a motion?

Aye though.
    I'm so glad someone with such a wealth of knowledge on libertarianism could speak for me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. I must admit, I would like to see drug consumption rooms as a separate bill or motion as I agree with that concept. However, I'm still not convinced by the rest.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanBowling33)
    Broadly speaking yes but even so I'd like to see this "evidence"

I'm so glad someone with such a wealth of knowledge on libertarianism could speak for me
    Check the notes of the motion....

I'm not the kind of person that doesn't provide evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2016
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.