Parents convinced I have an eating disorder?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    ED TW

Spoiler:
    Show
    First of all I need to make it clear that I am not underweight (7 stone 10, 5 ft 2). About a year ago I was pretty overweight and so I lost it. But after coming back to school some friends and teachers noticed and went to my head of year worried, who called home. I had a doctors appointment because I hadn't had a period since May and was made to bring it up then. Now my parents won't leave me alone and I've been told that if I don't get to 8 stone 2 in 2 weeks I'm being sent to therapy (for something I don't have). Im obviously not going to - I tried hard to get that weight off, I'm not letting that go to waste and I'm not even at my goal yet. I'm not sure what the question here is but I'm just so angry, why can't people leave me alone about it? How would I get them to just leave me be without getting suspicious again? This is all really bogging me down on top of a levels and all that jazz, how can I just convince them I'm bloody fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    7 Stone 10 is underweight for a person of 5 foot 2, and you do also have some of the symptoms of being underweight so yes you are underweight.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not getting your period then that it is a problem. If they stopped in time with weight loss then of course the most obvious solution is to try gaining weight. If that doesn't work, you and your doctor can discuss other potential causes after the most obvious one has been eliminated.

ReputationRep:
    If you find yourself deliberately going without food (as in entire meals ) just to lose weight, then your parents are right to be worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    7 Stone 10 is underweight for a person of 5 foot 2
    Provided the OP is female—which, judging by their use of the word "period" in reference to themselves, seems fairly conclusive—no, it isn't.

(Original post by sophxxs)
    ED TW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    First of all I need to make it clear that I am not underweight (7 stone 10, 5 ft 2). About a year ago I was pretty overweight and so I lost it. But after coming back to school some friends and teachers noticed and went to my head of year worried, who called home. I had a doctors appointment because I hadn't had a period since May and was made to bring it up then. Now my parents won't leave me alone and I've been told that if I don't get to 8 stone 2 in 2 weeks I'm being sent to therapy (for something I don't have). Im obviously not going to - I tried hard to get that weight off, I'm not letting that go to waste and I'm not even at my goal yet. I'm not sure what the question here is but I'm just so angry, why can't people leave me alone about it? How would I get them to just leave me be without getting suspicious again? This is all really bogging me down on top of a levels and all that jazz, how can I just convince them I'm bloody fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You ARE NOT underweight you have a BMI of 19.9, which is fine.
    Imo go to the Dr get them to weigh you and they can give you the all clear that you are a normal weight.

It still doesnt mean you cant have an eating disorder. Has the GP referred you to a dietician have you kep a diary of how much you are eating to show them its a helathy amount plys your weight loss profile over the last year?

Jump through the hoops, people will be satisfied and you cna get on with whatever you are doing.

Btw I wouldnt lose that much more otherwsie you will drop into the underweight category. Lift some weights if you want a better shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophxxs)
    ED TW
    Spoiler:
    Show

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you do not have a problem a therapist will not try to do anything about it. The best way to prove to your parents that you are okay may actually be to see a doctor or a therapist.

They shouldn't be expecting you to put on a set ammout of weight in such a short ammount of time and they are just setting you up to fail. Even if you could put on that weight it would not be in a healthy way. I think the ammount of concern they have for you means they just aren't going to see reason from you so you'll have to get an outside opinion.

I could see why your parents would be worried if you've suddenly lost a bunch of weight, even if you are still a healthy weight now. After loosing that weight and with the period problems you have it could be worth you seeing a doctor anyway just to make sure that you are a good weight now and that you are healthy. You can proove what you need to to your parents and also be that bit wiser about your general health. Win win.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully the latest DSM removed amenorrhea as a diagnostic criteria for anorexia so that's not something a doctor can use to try and diagnose you, but it is still linked with extreme weight loss (although that in itself doesn't equate to anorexia). I know how easy it can be to lose weight, though, I've just lost half a stone in 2 weeks just cause I've had no appetite for a while.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.