Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WMHD: How do YOU help yourself? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Today is World Mental Health Day! :woo:

The theme this year is psychological first aid, so how we can help ourselves and others in times of crisis, distress or in day to day life. Many of these things can be relatively simple, but can make a big difference.

From this and other recent threads a TSR mental health survival guide will be made- see if you can get your ideas in there! This will include 'bad days box' suggestions, ways to help someone in crisis and still look after yourself, and ways to keep mentally healthy. It's as important to work on this when you're struggling as when you're not- more so, in some ways!

What are your best distractions, and what helps you calm down?
    What motivates you and gives you hope?
    What can other people do to help you? How can they look after themselves too?
    Is there anything that helps when you're struggling with something in particular?
    What apps and techniques do you use to help your mental health?

Any other ideas for themes or things to cover are welcome! Anything else you'd like to see from the mental health forum too- you suggest it, we'll try our best to do it

Let's get talking! Please note you can post anonymously in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Today is World Mental Health Day! :woo:

The theme this year is psychological first aid, so how we can help ourselves and others in times of crisis, distress or in day to day life. Many of these things can be relatively simple, but can make a big difference.

From this and other recent threads a TSR mental health survival guide will be made- see if you can get your ideas in there! This will include 'bad days box' suggestions, ways to help someone in crisis and still look after yourself, and ways to keep mentally healthy. It's as important to work on this when you're struggling as when you're not- more so, in some ways!

Is there anything that helps when you're struggling with something in particular?

Any other ideas for themes or things to cover are welcome! Anything else you'd like to see from the mental health forum too- you suggest it, we'll try our best to do it

Let's get talking! Please note you can post anonymously in this thread.
    Best distractions:
    Sitting down to a nice film or series
    Chatting to people via message or over call
    Cup of tea

Motivates me and give me hope:
    People being nice and understanding when you convince yourself that people can't be like that or that people willing to be like that don't exist or cba

What can other people do to help whilst also looking after themselves:
    Conveying understanding and explaining that we all have vulnerabilities even the people that seem most self sufficient/capable can struggle with mental health issues. Looking after yourself - spend time with love ones/people who care about you and don't give all of yourself away helping to your own detriment (not helpful to anyone if you fall apart with compassion fatigue).

Anything that helps when struggling with something in particular:
    Someone showing interest, care and a willingness to offer advice/suggestions if they're able to and if they can point you in the right direction.

Apps: tsr and Skype ... Don't really use 'relevant' apps...

General stuff I do to help my mental health:
    Stay connected
    Hug family
    See friends
    Challenge myself despite feeling completely rotten
    Take time out to relax
    Have a bath
    Watch a comedy

ReputationRep:
    Just Fallout 4, play the **** out of it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Best distractions:
    Sitting down to a nice film or series
    Chatting to people via message or over call
    Cup of tea

Motivates me and give me hope:
    People being nice and understanding when you convince yourself that people can't be like that or that people willing to be like that don't exist or cba

What can other people do to help whilst also looking after themselves:
    Conveying understanding and explaining that we all have vulnerabilities even the people that seem most self sufficient/capable can struggle with mental health issues. Looking after yourself - spend time with love ones/people who care about you and don't give all of yourself away helping to your own detriment (not helpful to anyone if you fall apart with compassion fatigue).

Anything that helps when struggling with something in particular:
    Someone showing interest, care and a willingness to offer advice/suggestions if they're able to and if they can point you in the right direction.

Apps: tsr and Skype ... Don't really use 'relevant' apps...

General stuff I do to help my mental health:
    Stay connected
    Hug family
    See friends
    Challenge myself despite feeling completely rotten
    Take time out to relax
    Have a bath
    Watch a comedy
    This is a really good reply! But yeah, just talking to people can be amazing- even if they know nothing about anything technically speaking, just being a listening ear is honestly the best thing. Those distractions and stuff are good too! Apps not really sure what I was thinking of they work though so yeah

(Original post by Willy Pete)
    Just Fallout 4, play the **** out of it.
    What about it do you think helps you? Gaming seems to be quite a common one for people!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot this thread. I'm so silly sometimes

Someone kick me later to remind me to reply the questions! Posting now to save a space for my post :nutcase:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

Someone kick me later to remind me to reply the questions! Posting now to save a space for my post :nutcase:
    *schedules a kick* :ninja:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    *schedules a kick* :ninja:
    :headfire:

ReputationRep:
    What about it do you think helps you? Gaming seems to be quite a common one for people!
    It is pure escapism, it lets you forget about the world around you and fully immerse yourself in sonething that burns through 100s of hours of your life.

Better than actually facing your problems.

ReputationRep:
    Colouring books, working out, and reading are the best helps for me. Becoming completely immersed in something that doesn't require another persons help to make me happy. My boyfriend is always willing to listen, but when I've gone through really bad periods he can find it really overwhelming and repetitive and then I feel guilty for burdening him with my issues. So I definitely prefer more independent methods for calming down / cheering up / etc.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For many it's a distraction from the real world and their problems.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

:creep: (no pressure to though!)

(Original post by sinfonietta)
    Colouring books, working out, and reading are the best helps for me. Becoming completely immersed in something that doesn't require another persons help to make me happy. My boyfriend is always willing to listen, but when I've gone through really bad periods he can find it really overwhelming and repetitive and then I feel guilty for burdening him with my issues. So I definitely prefer more independent methods for calming down / cheering up / etc.*
    Colouring books are amazing! I really like online jigsaws too for the same reason, but you can beam in and out of them a bit too. Also agree with struggling to talk to people- having someone there you can can literally make the difference between life and death, but it's not always the right thing and not always possible. Playing music too, so much

(Original post by Willy Pete)
    It is pure escapism, it lets you forget about the world around you and fully immerse yourself in sonething that burns through 100s of hours of your life.

Better than actually facing your problems.
    (Original post by cbreef)
    For many it's a distraction from the real world and their problems.
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I've never really got into gaming, don't really have the concentration, but can definitely relate to escaping reality and that sort of stuff. Was just wondering if it was something specific about gaming or just the form that a lot of people prefer!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Argh, forgot to remember to do this (despite two kicks from iEthan :headfire: ) Will try and do today or tomorrow - promise :kissing2:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Argh, forgot to remember to do this (despite two kicks from iEthan :headfire: ) Will try and do today or tomorrow - promise :kissing2:
    :headfire: indeed Ms. Goatherd! :hmmm:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    :afraid:

:ninja:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to! Ethan is good at kicking though, and poking. He does it to me frequently I'd get nothing done without though!

Hope you're feeling a bit better :hugs:

I read that as Mr and had a few seconds panic that I'd somehow managed to completely miss that TLG wasn't a girl for several years. Not that I haven't got most of TSR wrong at some point but still!

Feel like there's a few too many double negatives there but oh well. I'm tired
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to! Ethan is good at kicking though, and poking. He does it to me frequently I'd get nothing done without though!

I read that as Mr and had a few seconds panic that I'd somehow managed to completely miss that TLG wasn't a girl for several years. Not that I haven't got most of TSR wrong at some point but still!

Furry :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

He's amazing :awesome: Am doing a bit better thanks :yep:

You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of people who think I'm a guy. I'm not even sure why :erm: I hate to stereotype but I have a pink username and I use smilies like there's no tomorrow, so... :dontknow:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Furry :hugs:
    :penguinhug:

He's amazing :awesome: Am doing a bit better thanks :yep:

You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of people who think I'm a guy. I'm not even sure why :erm: I hate to stereotype but I have a pink username and I use smilies like there's no tomorrow, so... :dontknow:
    He is! That's definitely good to hear :hugs:

Have a feeling I might have thought the same at some point but I have with most people Oh well

ReputationRep:

TV series distract me a lot. I would say music as well but I tend to listen to music that relates to my mood which just ends in me thinking about the thing I'm suppose to be avoiding but sometimes I'll listen to pump up/feel good music which is a great distraction. Something that really calms me down is writing exactly how I feel and reflecting on why I feel that way and then trying to look at it from a different perspective. Its one of the only things that calm me down, just by writing and reflecting on my thoughts.

My future motivates me and gives me hope. I always try to think of where I want to be in a couple years or even months time and I'll make sure I do everything I can to get there. Even when I was super upset because I thought my initial plan to get to my future goal was ruined, the thing that made me get up and have hope was knowing that I still wanted to reach that future goal and I could get there in other ways. My friends also motivate me and give me hope, mainly my wife TheonlyMrsHolmes

I think someone just asking if I want to talk about it and being able to listen to me and let me open up and even rant really helps me. Because I'm again reflecting on my feelings but I'm also able to get someone else's opinion where I might realise that I may be overreacting or that I am totally justified. They can look after themselves by coming to me and letting me do the same exact thing they did to me

Answered really in the above questions. Mostly again just being able to reflect on my thoughts and see it from a different perspective.

TSR as the obvious because a lot of people on here are willing to listen and give advice which is always super helpful. I also want to give an honourable mention to this app called VENT which I think is super awesome. It's basically like twitter but for your emotions/feelings. So its mainly where I'll write about how I feel in the moment etc and there are also loads of other users there who are super supportive. I also find it really makes me feel better when I go on Vent and comment on other peoples "Vents" and try to offer advice and support.

My technique to dealing with my mental health is one of 2 main things. First is reaching out to my support network which mainly involves my best friend :lol: and my second is reflecting on my feelings because I really find looking at things from a different perspective helps me a lot. I'll be super upset about something and reflecting can help me realise why I'm actually upset (sometimes I overlook the root cause), realise that I'm not in the wrong or if I am accept that and can help me take better steps in managing it. I also find the quicker that I reflect on my emotions, the faster I feel better. For example I can wallow in my feelings for a whole day, but the moment I sit back and reflect either through talking to a friend or writing about it is the moment I start feeling much more optimistic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Colouring books are amazing! I really like online jigsaws too for the same reason, but you can beam in and out of them a bit too. Also agree with struggling to talk to people- having someone there you can can literally make the difference between life and death, but it's not always the right thing and not always possible. Playing music too, so much

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I've never really got into gaming, don't really have the concentration, but can definitely relate to escaping reality and that sort of stuff. Was just wondering if it was something specific about gaming or just the form that a lot of people prefer!
    With games being so realistic these days, it's easy to see why people do what they do. There are literally entire worlds in video games like GTA 5, Just Cause 3, Minecraft and the like.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.