Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why do BME communities find it so difficult to talk about mental health?

ReputationRep:
    According to a study conducted in 2013; only around 1 in 5 of people from a Black and Minority Ethnic groups feel very comfortable speaking to people about their mental health. With rates for detention under the Mental Health Act 32% higher than the national average for Black Carribean patients; talking about their mental health is even more important.

Why do you feel as though BME communities find it so difficult about their mental health problems? 32% higher than the national average is incredibly high (the rate for anyone who is 'White British' is 6% lower), do you feel as though health professionals are quicker to diagnose those BME community with a mental health condition?

ReputationRep:
    Cultural pressures. My dad is Asian and he has mental health problems... He told me himself that the challenge of growing up in a white community feeling different is very stressful trying to prove that you are a 'worthy person' to the white people whilst also staying 'true' to your own ethnic group. Also racism and demonisation of certain ethnic groups is no secret... Young people internalise these kinds of stigma and end up conflicted, suffering mental health problems...

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Little Popcorns .

Some cultures just have **** views on mental health TBH. For example, me and my brother (who is shy but has no disabilities) went to visit our Chinese neighbours whose daughter is my friend, she told me later her parents laughed after we went and said he was autistic. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of us have parents (or ourselves) who've come from much tougher climates abroad. We may currently live in an impoverished community. This encourages a certain resilience and it's expected that you keep a chin up and bear the problems that life throws at you.

If, for example, your parents faced segregation when they first came over, how can you justify feeling depressed because a kid insulted you at school?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of stigma and misunderstanding about the South Asian diaspora tbh, regarding mental health. In Sri Lanka (my country of origin), it's not talked about at all - you either pretend you're well/"normal", OR you are hidden away

I think my dad still attributes my mental health problems to someone "charming" him (putting a curse on him via black magic) :sigh: He only believed I was "stressed" in the first place, coz a "miracle" priest told him so :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely cultural pressure. Definitely in the black community, it's seen as 'weak' to express certain emotions, and to be depressed. I find the attitude sickening.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.