Turn on thread page Beta

Little barebones systems vs Laptop watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

im going to uni in october (grades pending) and I want a new computer. it has to be portable (manageable by myself whilst carrying several other large bags). i dont care much for games, just music, DVDs, surfing pr0n and working.

clearly, a laptop is a good choice for what i need.

but while perusing a simply brochure whilst riding the porcelain horse, i wondered if one of the little barebones systems might be a better alternative? easier to upgrade, and the monitor can be changed if something goes wrong

i have a tiny budget though, £750-800, but i can snaffle speakers, keyboard, mouse from my existing setup. these little barebones i THINK just need monitor, cpu, memory and hdd so i had a look; i could possibly get one of these little systems for around that mark with this rough price guideline

box of tricks - £200
    monitor - £250 (450) - 15" TFT
    cpu - £110 (560) - AMD something or other
    memory - £100 (660) - 512 ddr + a little bit more
    hdd - £70 (730) - 60 gigs?

so would you lot say this would be a good idea? or no? bearing in mind again, that it needs to be portable (i dont know if i will always have the luxury of a car to transport me home) and just general value for money (im thinking; laptops dont seem to be long term machines).

i await some sort of response.

ReputationRep:
    Weird, I was thinking exactly the same just the other day. I'll wait and see if anyone else responds!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I was thinking of going down the shuttle route - only problem is i'm not that experienced with PC builds but i've read they're easy to build. Laptops are a pain to upgrade so a safer option would be with the barebones - that's one of the main advantages i can see to having a barebone.

Do you really need the portability of a laptop?

With your budget you could get a decent barebones system. You could also look at the Aopen range. Try Ebuyer to see some of the barebones systems on offer (if you hadn't looked there already.)

ReputationRep:
    however if you're going for a barebones system in a small case, you still presumably limit your upgrade options - granted, not as much as with a laptop but still something to take into account presuming this was what you were meaning...

Ebuyer are indeed good for stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    http://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=25641

it looks like this is what im going to do then.

excellent !

great minds think alike eh?

ReputationRep:
    Have you built PCs in the past? Are you definitely going for AMD? I know they have an AMD64 one available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Have you built PCs in the past? Are you definitely going for AMD? I know they have an AMD64 one available.
    built before, yeah; well pretty much.

yeah they are pretty easy.

amd64 sounds expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for the Laptop. From what you have said, it is unlikely that you will need to upgrade as you don't play games.

If you are going to live in halls, then space is a big factor too.

My current Laptop is more than a year old, and is still going strong. Like you, I only use it for college work, music, DVD and internet browsing.

With regard to the financial side, Laptops hold their value far better when it comes to resale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    I would go for the Laptop. From what you have said, it is unlikely that you will need to upgrade as you don't play games.

If you are going to live in halls, then space is a big factor too.

My current Laptop is more than a year old, and is still going strong. Like you, I only use it for college work, music, DVD and internet browsing.

With regard to the financial side, Laptops hold their value far better when it comes to resale.
    however, laptops are much more expensive considering what you get for the money.

ReputationRep:
    get a shuttle... they are much better (and cheaper) than laptops...
    with your budget; i would say the nforce 2 one (for athlon xp) is the best... pair it with a AthlonXP-M 2600+ and with a little tweaking (overclocking) you will have a very fast system... make sure you buy 2 x 256mb of ddr466 memory to give room to overclock without using a ratio and so you can take advantage of dual channel memory...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    however, laptops are much more expensive considering what you get for the money.
    Yes, but do you really need the extra stuff in place of portablility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    Yes, but do you really need the extra stuff in place of portablility?
    well like i said im undecided but if everything is cheaper i can just spend less on this system.

space is an issue but a tft screen has a small footprint and the little box can go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    get a shuttle... they are much better (and cheaper) than laptops...
    with your budget; i would say the nforce 2 one (for athlon xp) is the best... pair it with a AthlonXP-M 2600+ and with a little tweaking (overclocking) you will have a very fast system... make sure you buy 2 x 256mb of ddr466 memory to give room to overclock without using a ratio and so you can take advantage of dual channel memory...
    great plan, but i'd be very tempted to get a xp-m2500. probably better for OC'ing, and double cache (i dont think 2600 is barton)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    great plan, but i'd be very tempted to get a xp-m2500. probably better for OC'ing, and double cache (i dont think 2600 is barton)
    yup... the mobile 2600 is a barton... and i think it gets higher overclocks than the 2500 too... i would do this too... but i want an athlon 64 setup

take a look here:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...__Mobile_.html
    mobile 2600+ is only a fiver more than the 2500+ (both are bartons... same cache)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    yup... the mobile 2600 is a barton... and i think it gets higher overclocks than the 2500 too... i would do this too... but i want an athlon 64 setup

take a look here:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...__Mobile_.html
    mobile 2600+ is only a fiver more than the 2500+ (both are bartons... same cache)
    fair enough then

dont buy from OcUK though, buy from ebuyer, or dabs, or scan, or komplett, or aria, or... they're usually cheaper, and have better customer service.

ReputationRep:
    Get a Shuttle SN45G, with a mobile Barton 2500+, 1GB of PC3200 DDR RAM and a Radeon 9800 pro and you will have a gaming beast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Radeon 9800 pro
    nah... the GF 6800GT is better and is meant to be the best (taking value for money into account too) card at the moment... as it is more or less the same (same no. of pipelines) as the pro (with a little overclocking) but a lot cheaper... saying that... unless games are very important to ya; the 9800 pro would be a better choice as it leave more to spend on the rest of the PC!

@Dickie:
    i have never bought from ocuk... i just like the layout of their website (well some of it) and the info they give on each product... thats why i linked it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    nah... the GF 6800GT is better and is meant to be the best (taking value for money into account too) card at the moment... as it is more or less the same (same no. of pipelines) as the pro (with a little overclocking) but a lot cheaper... saying that... unless games are very important to ya; the 9800 pro would be a better choice as it leave more to spend on the rest of the PC!
    the 9800 pro and the 6800GT are in two completely different leagues, the nvidia 6800gt being "just back from cutting-edge", and the 9800 pro being the "bidget choice", as it is one of the flagships from the last generation of cards

ReputationRep:
    You can get a 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA 133 IDE HDD from Maplin Electronics for £74.99

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Water)
    You can get a 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA 133 IDE HDD from Maplin Electronics for £74.99

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/product...productID=2915

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/product...productID=2912

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.