VasDev
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I want to do computer science when I'm older. I did A-levels previously and I did pretty badly in my AS results as a result of family issues and stress,bullying etc (DDEU) and I then decided that A-levels weren't for me.

After that I decided to do a BTEC extended diploma in IT. I worked hard in my first year as I want to be successful when I'm older, and I got D* D*.
I'm now doing UCAS and my predicted grade is D*D*D*, the highest grade you can get at BTEC.

I have pretty decent GCSE grades if it matters at all (5A,4B)

I checked and these are all of the russell group unis that would accept me if I got D*D*D* (My predicted grade)

Queen Mary London (D*DD)
Bath (D*D*D*)
Newcastle (D*DD)
Nottingham (D*D*D*)
University of Southampton (DDD)

Most universities that are in the top 30 and aren't Russell group would also accept me. For example, Aston is ranked number 9 in the 2017 guardian comp sci rankings and they require DDD.

Furthermore I have 2 weeks work experience at the leading software development company for the estate agent industry in the UK. Its quite a large company (£11 million turnover) and I tested their software capabilities as part of my work experience for BTEC

I'm also teaching myself some comp-sci related mathematics in my own time, as well as Java, the programming language, in order to settle in smoothly for my course in the future

I think I would cope at university, however I'm a little concerned about my AS grades deciding wether or not I get a place

What do you think
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you meet the entry requirements you should be fine. It looks like you've already checked them out. Good luck!
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really don't think you have researched this sufficiently. Most of the top universities have Maths A level as an entry requirement. No point in applying if you don't have this - teach yourself maths is not an alternative!

Your idea that you would get into Bristol with just D*D*D* is ludicrous - you also need A* in A level Maths. I would suggest that you check the individual requirements on each of the university's web pages.

TBH you are just setting your sights too high.
VasDev
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutz99)
I really don't think you have researched this sufficiently. Most of the top universities have Maths A level as an entry requirement. No point in applying if you don't have this - teach yourself maths is not an alternative!

Your idea that you would get into Bristol with just D*D*D* is ludicrous - you also need A* in A level Maths. I would suggest that you check the individual requirements on each of the university's web pages.

TBH you are just setting your sights too high.
I just double checked and you're totally correct regarding bristol requiring A level Maths.
And I meant to write Bath instead of Bristol

You are, however, incredibly wrong regarding the other universities I've talked about

Queen Mary - D*DD with B in Maths GCSE
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ses/80043.html

Newcastle - D*DD with B in mathematics GCSE
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...ryrequirements

Nottingham - D*D*D* with B in Maths, Science and English
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...uirements.aspx

Southampton- DDD + Maths and english grade C
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...y_requirements
adil_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually you are wrong. If you can justify why you couldn't do maths (i.e. timetable clash or college doesnt offer it) bristol will invite you to take a maths assessment at the university and will give you an offer if you do well enough
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For CompSci

Inc. A level Maths:

Oxford: DDD+A*
Durham: DDD+A
Bristol: DDD+A
Southampton: DDM+A
Manchester (cant remember)
Sheffield: DDM+B

Without A level Maths:

Bath: D*D*D* or D*DD+A(AS level)
Surrey: DDD
Cardiff: D*D*D*
Queen Mary: D*DD
Leeds: D*DD
Royal Holloway DDD
Nottingham: DDD
Liverpool: D*DD

For IT degrees (not CS):

UCL: DDD
Southampton: DDD
Manchester: D*DD

Hope this helps Image
VasDev
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
For CompSci

Inc. A level Maths:

Oxford: DDD+A*
Durham: DDD+A
Bristol: DDD+A
Southampton: DDM+A
Manchester (cant remember)
Sheffield: DDM+B

Without A level Maths:

Bath: D*D*D* or D*DD+A(AS level)
Surrey: DDD
Cardiff: D*D*D*
Queen Mary: D*DD
Leeds: D*DD
Royal HollowayImageDD
Nottingham: DDD
Liverpool: D*DD

For IT degrees (not CS):

UCL: DDD
Southampton: DDD
Manchester: D*DD

Hope this helps Image
Thanks!! My predicted grades are D*D*D* and I'm planning on applying to Bristol, Aston, Coventry, Nottingham and I'm not sure about the last one
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VasDev)
Thanks!! My predicted grades are D*D*D* and I'm planning on applying to Bristol, Aston, Coventry, Nottingham and I'm not sure about the last one
No worries

Bristol require Maths A level unfortunately

with D*D*D* you could definitely apply somewhere a lot better than Coventry too, Notts is good and Aston is alright, stil with D*D*D* could go better

Hope this helps
VasDev
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
No worries

Bristolrequire Maths A level unfortunately

with D*D*D* you could definitely apply somewhere a lot better than Coventry too, Notts is good and Aston is alright, stil with D*D*D* could go better

Hope this helps
I meant to write bath instead of bristol, but you're right

I'm just quite worried that my AS grades are gonna reflect badly on me as an individual
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.3%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (130)
60.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.95%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (30)
13.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.33%

Watched Threads