Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Personal progress entry 1 for social anxiety?

I know that personal progress courses are primarily for those with learning disabilities but as someone with quite debilitating social anxiety and incredibly low confidence, i wonder if it would be beneficial. I've already dropped out of a sixth form AND a college (because of my anxiety) I'm barely a month into my first year, i know i have to something but i just really don't know. If anyone has had a similar experience or even just if you've taken/are taking the course I'd be interested to know what it entails.
    I was hoping to take the course to improve my social skills and my confidence issues and then try A levels (or some other kind of course that could get me into uni) next year. Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know that personal progress courses are primarily for those with learning disabilities but as someone with quite debilitating social anxiety and incredibly low confidence, i wonder if it would be beneficial. I've already dropped out of a sixth form AND a college (because of my anxiety) I'm barely a month into my first year, i know i have to something but i just really don't know. If anyone has had a similar experience or even just if you've taken/are taking the course I'd be interested to know what it entails.
    I was hoping to take the course to improve my social skills and my confidence issues and then try A levels (or some other kind of course that could get me into uni) next year. Xx
    I'd not even heard of these if I'm honest but one thing that's really helped me is volunteering. Find something you really care about (or even just your local oxfam or whatever) and see if you can help- it's honestly made such a difference to me in terms of confidence and things like that! There's the Volunteering forum on here and https://do-it.org/ which are as good a place as any to start, tbh just replying to some threads on here and the feeling of having helped someone is great too if something more organised feels too daunting.

Other than that, if you've not seen your GP and any support people at your college yet they're worth a visit too. They should know more about these courses anyway and if they're something that might help you.

Hope that helps a bit! Feel free to PM me or whatever if you want to talk, I used to be so so like you but you can do this!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.