Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for a PhD to start next October in psychology at UCL, KCL and Goldsmiths

I have a 2.2 (due to mitigating circumstances which can be referenced) and the ESRC website says you need a 2.1 for funding.

How lenient are they? Especially if I can give evidence that about my circumstances (I had my first psychotic episode and was hospitalised 17 times throughout my degree, including around exam revision time)

Thanks *
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to say. Do they say on the website? Maybe your potential supervisor will be able to advise better as they will be more familiar with process. If you have documented ECs then I don't see a reason to worry.

ReputationRep:
    It's indeed hard to say, do you have a master?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agrew)
    It's indeed hard to say, do you have a master?
    I'm studying one now, aiming and on track for a distinction. KCL for my desired course ask for a merit.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I'm studying one now, aiming and on track for a distinction. KCL for my desired course ask for a merit.*
    I would say a master with distinction should put you in a much better position. Good luck with it
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I'm looking to apply for a PhD to start next October in psychology at UCL, KCL and Goldsmiths

I have a 2.2 (due to mitigating circumstances which can be referenced) and the ESRC website says you need a 2.1 for funding.

How lenient are they? Especially if I can give evidence that about my circumstances (I had my first psychotic episode and was hospitalised 17 times throughout my degree, including around exam revision time)

Thanks *
    Leniency isn't the issue. How many ESRC funded PhD places for Psychology are there? X. Are you in the top X applicants who make funding worthy applications?

It's much more about what you will do (research proposal, fit with Supervisor, career aspirations etc), and what you have done recently (Masters, references etc) that what you did a few years ago (weak undergrad and health issues). However, in weighing up the significance of those aspects, one would have to see the profile of the whole cohort.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Leniency isn't the issue. How many ESRC funded PhD places for Psychology are there? X. Are you in the top X applicants who make funding worthy applications?

It's much more about what you will do (research proposal, fit with Supervisor, career aspirations etc), and what you have done recently (Masters, references etc) that what you did a few years ago (weak undergrad and health issues). However, in weighing up the significance of those aspects, one would have to see the profile of the whole cohort.
    Thank you for your advice

I'm also hoping to get my masters dissertation published. I published some research at undergrad too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Also, when do you find about your funding application? And do you apply for each university you apply to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.