Degree Appeal Help!!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I need help as i am unsure in what direction to take with my current problem.I have graduated with a 2:2 , in my second year I had mitigating circumstaces which lead to me moving home for two months during exam period. I had completed my exams but over my 4 year course period the final year percentages show that I had a drop in performance, at the time of my 2nd year my lecturer did not advise me for an appeal nor did place a letter to the exam board advising them prior marking at the end of 4 year course ( 4th year i had been on a study trip abroad) once returned my uni had marked and finisalised my course with a 2:2. Also my tutor and lecture which are the same person refused to make my project (2nd) of 40% on the last day even though it had been handed in on blackboard my tutor / lecturer also did not advise me to appeal this at the time ( i did not even know you could appeal it ). My other lecturer which i had been in the same predicament marked my project with a 15% grade reduction for handing it in late.I had placed an appeal with the uni at the end they had rejected it on the ground the exam bored had my mitigating circumstances request at the end of 4th year ( i have never said anything about it ) and took it into consideration .The rejected appeal letter also said that my project 40% should have been handed an appeal letter before the end of the 4th year.I need help , not sure what to do next. Clearly the lecturer/ tutor has it in for me.

(Original post by Stephensa)
    Hello,I need help as i am unsure in what direction to take with my current problem.I have graduated with a 2:2 , in my second year I had mitigating circumstaces which lead to me moving home for two months during exam period. I had completed my exams but over my 4 year course period the final year percentages show that I had a drop in performance, at the time of my 2nd year my lecturer did not advise me for an appeal nor did place a letter to the exam board advising them prior marking at the end of 4 year course ( 4th year i had been on a study trip abroad) once returned my uni had marked and finisalised my course with a 2:2. Also my tutor and lecture which are the same person refused to make my project (2nd) of 40% on the last day even though it had been handed in on blackboard my tutor / lecturer also did not advise me to appeal this at the time ( i did not even know you could appeal it ). My other lecturer which i had been in the same predicament marked my project with a 15% grade reduction for handing it in late.I had placed an appeal with the uni at the end they had rejected it on the ground the exam bored had my mitigating circumstances request at the end of 4th year ( i have never said anything about it ) and took it into consideration .The rejected appeal letter also said that my project 40% should have been handed an appeal letter before the end of the 4th year.I need help , not sure what to do next. Clearly the lecturer/ tutor has it in for me.

1. Go and see an advisor in the SU.
    2. Every Uni has appeals procedures and normally makes them available on the website or in the student handbook. Its up to you to look into it. They are particular to your institution.
    3. Mitigating circumstances are normally taken into account prior to exams to give you more time or the opportunity to resit. They generally have to be sudden and unexpected. You appear not to have taken the opportunity to tell them. They dont give you extra marks.
    4. It now seems like two years have passed since this event and I would think you have missed any deadlines. Check the rules.
    5. You seem to have more merit about your project not being marked in the final year. It would appear your lecturers reasons were you missed the deadline. That is a question of fact, which you cna prove otherwise if you have the evidence. Did you hand it in on time or was it late? What do the rules say?
    6. If you feel unfairly treated and have evidence, then make an appeal/ complaint.
    7. If they refuse that then you can appeal to the Office of the Independent Arbitrator and they will look into your case.
    http://www.oiahe.org.uk/
    8. Go and talk to an advisor, but your case doesnt sound the strongest.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.