Difficult Mechanics 2 Problem

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    A uniform Lamina is in the shape of an Equilateral triangle ABC, and rests in equilibrium inside a vertical hoop with B and C in contact with the hoop, and A at the center of the circle. Contact is smooth at C but rough at B, where the coefficient of friction is U (mu). The lamina is in limiting equilibrium with B lower than C, and the axis of symmetry through A makes an angle theta with the vertical. By first taking moments about A show that \tan\theta=U*\sqrt3/(\sqrt3-U)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric-man7)
    A uniform Lamina is in the shape of an Equilateral triangle ABC, and rest in equilibrium inside a vertical hoop with B and C in contact with the hoop, and A at the center of the circle. Contact is smooth at C but rough at B, where the coefficient of friction is U (mu). The lamina is in limiting equilibrium with B lower than C, and the axis of symmetry through A makes an angle theta with the vertical. By first taking moments about A show that tan(theta)=U*sqrt(3)/sqrt(3)-U
    What have you tried??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    What have you tried??
    I have tried to take the moments about A, and also the moments about C, but when I take the moments about C I have to include not only the the moment of the normal force at B, but also the moment of the force of friction. I have also tried resolving all the forces ( contact forces at B, C, and the weight of the lamina) in the directions perpendicular and parallel to BC, but I can't seem to continue to from here. Any Ideas?

(Original post by Electric-man7)
    A uniform Lamina is in the shape of an Equilateral triangle ABC, and rests in equilibrium inside a vertical hoop with B and C in contact with the hoop, and A at the center of the circle. Contact is smooth at C but rough at B, where the coefficient of friction is U (mu). The lamina is in limiting equilibrium with B lower than C, and the axis of symmetry through A makes an angle theta with the vertical. By first taking moments about A show that \tan\theta=U*\sqrt3/(\sqrt3-U)
    Having spent several hours trying to do it via the suggested method and getting it wrong, I resorted to triangle of forces (combined the forces at B into one to reduce the count to three).

And get \displaystyle \tan \theta = \frac{\sqrt{3}\mu}{\sqrt{3}-2\mu}

Which although different to the desired result in your first post, does agree with a thread on stackexchange. And the working was a hell of a lot simpler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Having spent several hours trying to do it via the suggested method and getting it wrong, I resorted to triangle of forces (combined the forces at B into one to reduce the count to three).

And get \displaystyle \tan \theta = \frac{\sqrt{3}\mu}{\sqrt{3}-2\mu}

Which although different to the desired result in your first post, does agree with a thread on stackexchange. And the working was a hell of a lot simpler.
    Thanks a lot, I have eventually managed to use the suggestion, to solve the problem but I can't imagine how this problem was ever on an OCR exam.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.