Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Intermolecular forces

ReputationRep:
    Another chemistry concept 😅I'm really not grasping about the three forces,vanderwaals ,dipole dipole and hydrogen bonding.i don't understand them at all,can u please explain the differences etc for them?ill be very grateful!thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    London Forces or dispersion forces arise because electrons move randomly. In a non-polar molecule like H-H it may move to one end of the bond giving one atom a temporary dipole. This induces a dipole in a neighbouring non-polar molecule if it's oriented the right way. The oppositely charged dipoles (one on original, one on induced) will attract eachother.

Dipole-Dipole interactions are similar. They involve attraction between oppositely charged dipoles. Except there is no induced dipole. When you have two atoms bonded to eachother with different electronegativity, like C and O, you get a polar bond. Electrons will be more close to the more electronegative atom. The oppositely charged dipoles of neighbouring polar molecules will be attracted to eachother. This is stronger.

Collectively, these are known as Van Der Waal's forces.

Hydrogen bonding is a special/stronger type of Dipole-Dipole interaction involving O-H or N-H bonds (O and N being highly electronegative).

I suggest giving this and this a read.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!!!may I ask,how do you identify them?what do you look at xx
    Thank yoi

(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    London Forces or dispersion forces arise because electrons move randomly. In a non-polar molecule like H-H it may move to one end of the bond giving one atom a temporary dipole. This induces a dipole in a neighbouring non-polar molecule if it's oriented the right way. The oppositely charged dipoles (one on original, one on induced) will attract eachother.

Dipole-Dipole interactions are similar. They involve attraction between oppositely charged dipoles. Except there is no induced dipole. When you have two atoms bonded to eachother with different electronegativity, like C and O, you get a polar bond. Electrons will be more close to the more electronegative atom. The oppositely charged dipoles of neighbouring polar molecules will be attracted to eachother. This is stronger.

Collectively, these are known as Van Der Waal's forces.

Hydrogen bonding is a special/stronger type of Dipole-Dipole interaction involving O-H or N-H bonds (O and N being highly electronegative).

I suggest giving this and this a read.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.