M1: Does a scale measure weight or mass?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that weight is the force of an object acting on it due to gravity; so unless the scale is in a room with vacuum and no gravity a scale on earth provides the weight and not the mass as many would say. Can explain to me if this is right or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryingtomaths)
    I know that weight is the force of an object acting on it due to gravity; so unless the scale is in a room with vacuum and no gravity a scale on earth provides the weight and not the mass as many would say. Can explain to me if this is right or not?
    It measures weight, but gives readings of mass as the unit is the kg.

ReputationRep:
    You are right. A scale (or any other object) responds to a force acting on it, and the force in this case is the weight of the object sitting on it.

However, your comment about a "room with vacuum" is meaningless; vacuums don't affect the force of gravity; and if there were no gravity, there would be no weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    You are right. A scale (or any other object) responds to a force acting on it, and the force in this case is the weight of the object sitting on it.

However, your comment about a "room with vacuum" is meaningless; vacuums don't affect the force of gravity; and if there were no gravity, there would be no weight.
    oh yes; sorry about that; but i still don't understand why do we say that a balance gives us mass when infact it gives us weight because the force of gravity is acting on us? i would be thankful if you can clarify

ReputationRep:
    oh yes; sorry about that; but i still don't understand why do we say that a balance gives us mass when infact it gives us weight because the force of gravity is acting on us? i would be thankful if you can clarify
    Scales actually measure force in N but provide an approximation for the mass of the object paced upon them.

ReputationRep:
    It actually measures the force of your feet pushing on the scales (but gives you a reading in kg because that's what people understand). Jumping up and down on it affects the reading because that changes the force between your feet and the scales. If you stay still the force between your feet and the scales equals your weight.

Try an experiment. Take the scales to a lift that has a noticeable acceleration. This will affect the force between your feet and the scales and your "weight" will apparently have changed.

This is an easier experiment to carry out than standing on scales on the moon.

ReputationRep:
    1. When you stand on a set of scales, your weight (the force produced on your body by the gravitational attraction of the Earth) compresses the springs in the scales by a certain amount l which is proportional to your weight, W.

2. When the springs are compressed, they turn a pointer on a scale.

2. Your weight on Earth can be calculated by W_E=mg_E where m is your mass, and g_E is the size of the acceleration, on Earth, of any body with mass.

3. The numbers on the scale give a reading in kilograms, which is a measure of mass. The numbers are calibrated assuming that you calculate your weight as above i.e. that the scales are being used on the surface of the Earth.

4. If you took the scales to the moon, then your weight would be calculated by W_m=mg_m where m is your mass, and g_m is the size of the acceleration, on the moon, of any body with mass.

5. Moon gravity is weaker than Earth gravity so g_m < g_E \Rightarrow W_m = mg_m < mg_E = W_E i.e. your weight on the moon is less than your weight on the Earth, even though your mass hasn't changed.

6. So if you stood on the scales on the moon, they would feel your moon weight, and the springs would be compressed by a smaller amount than that produced by your Earth weight. Hence the reading on the scale would indicate that you have a smaller mass than is actually the case - this is due to the fact that the weight-mass correspondence on the scale assumes that the scales are being used on the Earth.

Does that help?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.